PDA

View Full Version : Your Kidding Right???

Axle54
02-28-2019, 07:08 PM
If you need a laugh take a look at this on Craigslist.....

https://vermont.craigslist.org/grd/d/white-river-junction-maple-sugaring/6804447439.html

Needs some "re tinning" all for just $300 Good deal for someone who's handy and had a recent tetanus shot.

wnybassman
02-28-2019, 07:31 PM
That should shine up nice with a little elbow grease. lol

Chickenman
02-28-2019, 07:33 PM
It will buff out.

maple flats
02-28-2019, 07:36 PM
They might actually get someone to buy it. Would be OK for someone looking to build their own arch, many of the cast parts would take a lot to make the same part.

ecolbeck
02-28-2019, 07:56 PM
Its been for sale for months....

blissville maples
02-28-2019, 08:16 PM
Haha, nice weekend project! It's beautiful

Galena
02-28-2019, 08:44 PM
Hell there are TWO huge old cast-iron Grimms in the sugar shack across the road from me...they would take a helluvalot of lovin to get back into service. Not to mention all the tubing, collection tanks, yada yada...shouldn't cost more than a million or so to fix up ;-)

Bucket Head
02-28-2019, 09:17 PM
At least he was honest about the retinning. He just left out the re-angle ironing, regrating, reinsulating and rebricking part. Minor details...

Russell Lampron
03-01-2019, 05:48 AM
I sold my old Algier 2x6 arch last year for $250 and I had a lot of interest in it. The arch had a crack that went from the right door up to the pan and it even cracked the angle iron behind the arch front. If that arch were smaller I think it might have sold by now.

fisheatingbagel
03-01-2019, 07:34 AM
If it includes the doors, the top rail and the grates then it's not that bad of price. Otherwise, it won't buff out ;-)

Russell Lampron
03-01-2019, 05:51 PM
If it includes the doors, the top rail and the grates then it's not that bad of price. Otherwise, it won't buff out ;-)

If you look at the pictures in the Craigslist ad you'll see that it includes the doors and draft door. It doesn't include the side rails or grates. The side rails were probably 2" angle iron which is easy to find.

Woody77
03-03-2019, 09:30 PM
I just spent the last two weeks rebuilding an arch just like that one. Started with the front castings and built the rest out of stainless. We dated the castings back to no later than 1900 but Probably closer to 1885. You all laugh at this listing while I look at the piece of maple history I preserved.

Bucket Head
03-04-2019, 11:51 AM
I think everyone who replied was commenting on the advertisement. Similar to the response given to a used car salesman's line of, "She's a creampuff".
I have a sugarhouse full of antique sugaring equipment, much of which others called junk and asked why I would want it.
Do you have any photos of your rebuilt arch with the antique casting you could post?

Sugarmaker
03-04-2019, 12:04 PM
Similar to the King arch castings I started with 20 + years ago. I also suggested to a neighbor to save a arch in this similar condition, It was his grandfathers! It is now a beautiful evaporator with great family history! It did buff out very nice! With the price of things today that's not a bad price on the castings. If you can do some fab work its a good start to a refurbished arch.
Regards,
Chris

Woody77
03-04-2019, 07:29 PM
19605I only took one. I'll have to get some more196281962919630

Sugarmaker
03-04-2019, 07:35 PM
To me, That is a awesome looking antique arch restoration!
Regards,
Chris

Woody77
03-04-2019, 07:55 PM
Thank you sugar maker. We made the front piece if the arch out of one piece of stainless. No seams . The same with the back half. The ramp is the only individual piece. It's all tig welded and ready for another 100 years.

Bucket Head
03-04-2019, 10:12 PM
I second what Chris said. And I'll add that's a piece of art! Nice job. What does it say on the front of the casting?
Steve

Woody77
03-05-2019, 08:16 AM
It says champion evaporator company hudson ohio.
From the little bit of info I found on line champion was the original name of G.H Grimm. If anyone actually knows please enlighten me.

TimJ
03-05-2019, 09:41 AM
I saw that ad a while back as well. If it was 2' wide I would have jumped on it (probably many others would have too) 2.5 is just not a common enough pan width for many of us.

Sugarmaker
03-05-2019, 09:47 AM
I personally think these antique arches are pretty neat! And they can be upgraded to be very good rigs. Or old 3 x 10 King arch has preformed well with AUF, AOF new pans and insulated single front door.Can boil right along at about 120-130 gph.
Hope someone buys those old arch castings in the original post!
Regards,
Chris

DrTimPerkins
03-05-2019, 10:14 AM
It says champion evaporator company hudson ohio.
From the little bit of info I found on line champion was the original name of G.H Grimm. If anyone actually knows please enlighten me.

Considerably more info on the Champion Evaporator and the G.H. Grimm Manufacturing Co. can be found at:

http://maplesyruphistory.com/2019/02/27/evaporator-company-histories-g-h-grimm-manufacturing-co/

fisheatingbagel
03-05-2019, 08:42 PM
Considerably more info on the Champion Evaporator and the G.H. Grimm Manufacturing Co. can be found at:

http://maplesyruphistory.com/2019/02/27/evaporator-company-histories-g-h-grimm-manufacturing-co/What a great find. I just spent several hours browsing through the posts on that site.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

sugar matt
03-06-2019, 03:53 PM
What a great find. I just spent several hours browsing through the posts on that site.

Thanks for checking that site out and thanks to Tim for sharing that link. I'm the owner, researcher, and writer of that site and a regular reader of mapletrader.com as well. I'm always happy to talk maple history and glad that folks in the industry are taking a peak at the site. If you have any questions feel free to shoot them my way.

Matt

minehart gap
03-06-2019, 07:31 PM
That site is pretty cool. I just spent about an hour and will spend more time there. Great web site.

chickenplucker
03-09-2019, 04:22 AM
I'm a bit of a nut job, but if that listing was closer I'd prolly jump on the deal. Would be fun to put it back together and get it back in use.

Those old catalogs are something else as well. Very neat stuff.

On a side note, for some reason there are is set of original blue prints on ebay right now from 1910 for an evaporator by the Sam Daniels Manufacturing Company, which seems to have been around from 1892 to 1969. One of the pictures looks like a float box. Searching for "Antique MAPLE SYRUP EVAPORATOR Blueprints" should drag it up.

Also because of that started poking around a bit more and ran across this evaporator patent from 1910 from the same guy. Kind of neat looking. https://patents.google.com/patent/US974475A/en

Edit: Patent rabbit hole runs deep, lots of interesting results https://patents.google.com/?q=maple&q=evaporator&oq=maple+evaporator

VTnewguy
03-09-2019, 08:36 AM
Leader still makes maple equipment out of the pine street building that G.H. Grimm built in 1899. Just down the street from where I live. I'm also going to have to find his house that he built. Right up the street. Thank you for sharing. Love the history.

sugar matt
03-09-2019, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the note on the Sam Daniels blueprints on Ebay. I saw those as well and will be doing a later post on the Sam Daniels company in the evaporator company history series.

sugar matt
03-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Leader still makes maple equipment out of the pine street building that G.H. Grimm built in 1899. Just down the street from where I live. I'm also going to have to find his house that he built. Right up the street. Thank you for sharing. Love the history.

Here's a link to fairly recent story about the G.H. Grimm house in Rutland:

https://www.rutlandherald.com/rutland_reader/featured/historic-rutland-home-up-for-sale/article_71c48b46-1e0e-51d2-87c6-c032a9703db7.html

Msboucha
03-09-2019, 01:41 PM
I don't really think its that funny. People pay good money for vintage and if someone is in the position to/wants to rebuild that evaporator to its original state, those castings are pretty priceless. Power to them.

fisheatingbagel
03-11-2019, 09:29 AM
Thanks for checking that site out and thanks to Tim for sharing that link. I'm the owner, researcher, and writer of that site and a regular reader of mapletrader.com as well. I'm always happy to talk maple history and glad that folks in the industry are taking a peak at the site. If you have any questions feel free to shoot them my way.

MattMatt,
I also ordered your book, The Maple King, and have started reading it. Fascinating history. Sounds like you had an interesting time researching the history behind the Cary maple empire.

Dave

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk