PDA

View Full Version : cloudy syrup question

farrms
02-28-2019, 06:42 PM
My second batch of syrup went through the filter and when I put it into the jar, I noticed lots of fine suspended niter(I'm assuming). I put it in the refrigerator for a few days figuring it would settle out and that would take care of it. It's been a week and it's still suspended in the syrup. I bought new pre-filters and a new filter, heated it back up in a double boiler to 185 and re-filtered. I still have the same issue. It was just this one batch that did this. My other batches came out crystal clear. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks

maple flats
02-28-2019, 07:40 PM
Try adding some DE in with the hot syrup and then filter it, that should fix it. Try to heat it to a little over 200, add the DE, mix to blend, then pour it onto the filter with prefilters on top. The bottle it at about 185F.

farrms
02-28-2019, 08:00 PM
How much DE should I add? I'm only having trouble with a 1/2 gal of syrup.

blissville maples
02-28-2019, 08:20 PM
Perhaps this syrup has finer minerals?? I guess I'm not so familar With cone filters

farrms
02-28-2019, 08:47 PM
yeah, I'm not sure. It's the first time this has happened. Batch 1 and 3 turned out perfect and I didn't change anything. I just don't understand why it's not settling to the bottom. It still has a great taste at least.

to100
02-28-2019, 09:11 PM
How hot did you boil it to before your 1st filtering?

buckeye gold
03-01-2019, 06:39 AM
I've had this happen to me a couple times and the DE usually done the trick. I brought it to a full boil and added the DE. You need to get it mixed in good, use an electric mixer even. I used probably 1/4-1/3 cup in a small batch of 1/2 -1 gallon. I use two prefilters and a orlon final. If it's still there then it's just too fine, you're stuck with it.

farrms
03-01-2019, 07:30 AM
How hot did you boil it to before your 1st filtering?

I took it to 219, filtered it. Noticed it was cloudy, took it back to 180 and refiltered. Noticed it was still cloudy and after a week, it still didn’t settle to the bottom. Bought new filters, took it to 185 in a double boiler and filtered it again... looks a little better, but still has suspended cloudiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farrms
03-01-2019, 07:31 AM
I've had this happen to me a couple times and the DE usually done the trick. I brought it to a full boil and added the DE. You need to get it mixed in good, use an electric mixer even. I used probably 1/4-1/3 cup in a small batch of 1/2 -1 gallon. I use two prefilters and a orlon final. If it's still there then it's just too fine, you're stuck with it.

Thanks buckeye! I’m guessing that’s what it is as well. I’ll try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maple flats
03-01-2019, 07:37 AM
1/4 cup is good for 1/2 gal. With the syrup over 200F it will mix in just stirring. I use a whip (like a potato whip) but mine is over 2' long. Even a plastic spatula will work well. Mix until all in suspension then pour the mix into the cone filter. Then only heat it to 185 to bottle. The DE will actually be the filter, your orlon and pre-filters will just give it a surface to form on. I'd be very surprised if the fines get thru the DE cake that will form. However, you may want to run it thru 2x. Do not remove the filter cake to pour it thru the second time. If once thru shows anything but very clear syrup it is because some got thru before the filter cake of DE was not yet thick enough.

farrms
03-03-2019, 04:47 PM
are there different kinds of de? I used about a 1/3 of a cup of de and whisked it in until it was all suspended. Ran it through 2 pre-filters and orlon. It didn't work...lol oh well, I didn't waste too much. I'm assuming I did something wrong, or I used the wrong kind of de. I bought the food grade de.