PDA

View Full Version : How Much Lift Can be Achieved with A Gravity/Shurflo Hybrid System?

kboone1
02-28-2019, 12:56 PM
All,

I have been reading tons of threads on the hybrid systems, but cannot find a whole lot on how much lift these systems can handle. Would anyone be willing to share if they have tried running much lift after the elevation drop on the 3/16th gravity vac lines? I am looking at wanting to pull sap about 500 feet from the base of the run (has over 50' drop). I have about 350 feet to a road crossing that will be flat, go through a culvert (about 4' drop), then up to my sugar house (say 10' of lift to my bulk tank from the culvert over 125' or so). I would love to know if you guys have tried anything like this, and if you think it is doable before I go and spend the money on the stuff for next year. This will cut out hauling sap from a collection barrel at the end of the road to my shack every day, which can be burdensome when you are boiling multiple nights after work. Thanks in advance!

Kody

maple flats
02-28-2019, 08:00 PM
A shurflo pump has a hard time lifting sap. Can you position the pump where the bottom of a sap ladder would be and push from there? They do well pushing sap.

KReinisch
03-01-2019, 06:15 AM
If you are using 3/16 the shurflo will pull sap up hill with a good tight system. I have some spots where I need to over trails about 7 feet and it has no problem.

kboone1
03-01-2019, 06:34 AM
A shurflo pump has a hard time lifting sap. Can you position the pump where the bottom of a sap ladder would be and push from there? They do well pushing sap.

Dave,

If I did this, I would not be able to have electric run to the pump, unless I did it from my shack with an outdoor extension cord running about 175' over a creek. I am trying to do it without having to go solar or 12V, but I am willing to if I need to. I would have to make the system to be in a tote like some have, which would be okay, but it would be a lot more ideal if I could run it from my shack and pull the whole run, if possible of course. If this is my only, or by far best option, this is a good idea, and I can probably find a few more taps to make 2 lines if I put it there.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Kody

kboone1
03-01-2019, 06:38 AM
If you are using 3/16 the shurflo will pull sap up hill with a good tight system. I have some spots where I need to over trails about 7 feet and it has no problem.

KReinisch,

How far from your pump are the lift areas, and what model of the Shurflo do you run? I truly appreciate the feedback!

Kody

KReinisch
03-01-2019, 08:45 AM
It varies in distance and I run a 4008 on 225 taps. I think the most important part is that the last tap or pump is lower than the furthest. I have a scenario on my one woods that is just gravity and I pull sap up over a hill.

kboone1
03-01-2019, 11:38 AM
It varies in distance and I run a 4008 on 225 taps. I think the most important part is that the last tap or pump is lower than the furthest. I have a scenario on my one woods that is just gravity and I pull sap up over a hill.

Thanks! I appreciate you chiming in. I think I will try and pull the whole way since this would be my case, and worst case I can do something like Dave mentioned. I am finished here in WV already, since I am mainly on reds, and now begins cleanup and planning for next season!

maple flats
03-01-2019, 04:08 PM
When running power a long distance, do not do it with multiple extension cords.
First read the spec tag on the pump. It will give you the amps or watts. If watts, divide watts by volts for amps. Then use a voltage drop calculator (available free online) . Then determine what gauge wire is needed for that distance and run it in one continuous length, multiple connections add resistance.
I just ran a for instance in the Southwire online calculator plugging in some guesses. I used 120V, 2 amps and 175'. It came up with 14 ga giving less than 2% drop. If those guesses are right, buy 180' of UF wire and add a weather protected box on the pump end, then wire it into a breaker in your panel on a 15A breaker. If the guesses are wrong just google Voltage drop online calculator and enter the right numbers. I suggest you try for 2% drop, not 3.

kboone1
03-04-2019, 07:08 AM
When running power a long distance, do not do it with multiple extension cords.
First read the spec tag on the pump. It will give you the amps or watts. If watts, divide watts by volts for amps. Then use a voltage drop calculator (available free online) . Then determine what gauge wire is needed for that distance and run it in one continuous length, multiple connections add resistance.
I just ran a for instance in the Southwire online calculator plugging in some guesses. I used 120V, 2 amps and 175'. It came up with 14 ga giving less than 2% drop. If those guesses are right, buy 180' of UF wire and add a weather protected box on the pump end, then wire it into a breaker in your panel on a 15A breaker. If the guesses are wrong just google Voltage drop online calculator and enter the right numbers. I suggest you try for 2% drop, not 3.

Thanks, Dave! If I end up needing to put a pump out towards the lift, I will definitely either do this, or set it up with 12V solar system, which would probably be about the same cost for as far as I have to run the wire and conduit. I truly appreciate your input, still crossing my fingers I am able to pull it from my shack, though!

Kody