PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer measuring when walnut syrup is involved

walnutsyruper
02-27-2019, 08:42 AM
I have a hydrometer and it worked perfectly for my 100% maple batch earlier this month. But I mostly make a maple/walnut blend and sometimes pure walnut syrup. I find that the hydrometer no longer gives me a good idea of when it is done and I end up guessing same as before I even had one. Does anyone know how to figure what it should read based on the ratio of maple to walnut? My pure walnut syrup did not even register on the hydrometer when it was done so I suppose I just won't use it. But the blends of 2:1 or 3:1 read anywhere between 28 and 30 when done. I am just looking for a tried an true way of reading without the guess work. Thanks!

Chickenman
02-27-2019, 09:11 AM
Everything I have seen on blk walnut syrup says it is syrup at around 220 degrees or 67 brix.

fuz
03-26-2019, 05:26 PM
The walnut syrup will measure the same as maple with hydrometer . Make sure you filter the pectin out first or you will have wrong reading.
Have been making walnut and butternut syrup for 6 seasons. Cheers Fuz

tbear
03-26-2019, 07:00 PM
Hey fuz, how do you filter your walnut syrup? I hear it's problematic. We have severe acres of row planted walnut trees of tappable size but ive heard unfortunate things about filtering the walnut syrup. Thanks, Ted

Also, please forgive the high jack.