PDA

View Full Version : Buying filter material... Wool felt or synthetic? Where to buy?

Mark B
02-26-2019, 09:06 PM
I came by a stainless steel pot measures roughly 16 diameter by 12 deep. I plan to have it modified to use it as a vacuum filter. I would need material to be used as a filter. Wondering where best to find the material? Would wool felt be better as opposed to synthetic? And how thick should the felt material be for filtering? Or is there a better source 4 flat filters among the major maple syrup equipment dealers?

I figured that I could get 36 inch square material and cut into four 18 inch square filters. I also just thought of the fact that I'm going to need pre filter material as well and would welcome any thoughts on that. Thank you in advance, Mark

BAP
02-27-2019, 05:13 AM
Like you said, your best bet is to buy the 36” square felt filter stock and pre-filter stock.

Russell Lampron
02-27-2019, 05:31 AM
You can use Orlon flat filter stock and Orlon pre filter paper. That's what I used when I used the flat filter in my 16x16 filter canner. I don't know what part of central Maine you're from but you could give Bill Mason a call, he's in Porter. He sells some supplies besides his WF Mason equipment and might have it. Bascom's has it and just about any maple equipment dealer should have it or be able to get it.

maple flats
02-27-2019, 06:44 AM
I'm not sure cutting it to 18" square is a good idea. The filter material wants to also be up the sides of the container. 18" minus 12 only gives you 3" up the sides in the middle of that square. If the felt does not contain all of the syrup you can easily have some of it pass around the edge of the filter. Besides, if you clean the filter properly one should last you several years. Just never twist (wring) it to dry. Just squeeze it and then let it dry.
To buy it, just get it from any maple dealer so you are sure to get the right thing.

In da bush
02-27-2019, 07:06 AM
Smoky Lake has everything you need at a competitive price,WITH free shipping,no minimum. I’m not affiliated with SLM

n8hutch
02-27-2019, 09:31 AM
To answer your question the orlon filter is pretty equal to a wool felt filter, and the price of wool if you can find it is going to be scary. It would be cheaper to buy CDLs smallest vacuum filter rig than to buy a few sheets of wool. Ok so that's a slight exaggeration. I'm thinking that you must be close to the CDL in Wilton, or maybe Bacon farms? I think your on the right track with the 3' square sheets, you can buy prefilter material the same size. Also be sure to mark the orlon filter so you always put the syrup through in the same direction. Other wise any trapped niter that you missed washing it will flow out into your syrup.

Eberzin
02-27-2019, 04:39 PM
I switched to flat filters and prefilters last year and there is no going back to cone filters. Like it was mentioned make sure you have enough to go up the sides, and always mark your filters as to which side is always up. I bought mine from SL.

Mark B
02-27-2019, 04:47 PM
Russ, thanks for the reply I do a lot of business with Kinney's in Knox. Mason is about an hour hour and a quarter the other direction from me. I'm by Kenny's almost 4 to 5 days a week and they deal CDL and Leader. I was actually kind of hoping to find wool felt at the local Marden's store and possibly pick up enough of that to cut my own filters.

Mark B
02-27-2019, 04:51 PM
Dave thanks for always having great thoughts. I was wondering about having just enough filter to go up the sides I may have to go with 24s and allow them to laugh over the edge it's still only going to be a couple inches Beyond the Edge once everything is pinned in place. I seem to be pretty well set for this season so we'll plan on the build for over the summer. I do well with my cone filter and Optimizer which is a setup I had last year. I was able to get through about 6 gallons with the wool filter in 5 pre filters. I was hoping to up that just a little bit with the vac filter setup and flat filters.

Mark B
02-27-2019, 04:55 PM
Nate thanks for your ideas no offense but I personally don't like Orlon. I've got both in Orlon cone filter and a wool cone filter and personally there was a great difference in quality when filtered through the Orlon as opposed to the wool filter. I know the folks from bacon great family great operation but there a little bit far from me for purchasing as I mentioned in an earlier post I'm friends with Kinney's maple syrup operation in knox Ridge, and I run by their operation 4 to 5 days a week. They deal both in CDL and Leader equipment.

Mark B
02-27-2019, 04:59 PM
Great thoughts on marking your filters for directionality. In which way or how do you mark them? Is a permanent marker in the corner safe?

n8hutch
02-27-2019, 06:26 PM
I started with permanent marker and then went to a staple, just have to remember which side of the staple is supposed to be up.

I have used both wool and orlon/synthetic felt filters and I couldn't tell the difference even in glass but it sounds like you had your mind made up before you started the thread, just teasing. I bought a filter press this year so no more flat filtering for me.

I think the kinney's come to Fryeburg Fair every year so I may have met them. Good luck with your season.

Russell Lampron
02-27-2019, 06:37 PM
When I marked mine with permanent marker the ink washed off the first time that I washed it. I poked a little hole in a corner and ran a zip tie through it. The head on the zip tie was up and the loop was down.

Mark B
02-27-2019, 09:50 PM
Nate thanks for the quick reply I know you were teasing but I did have experience last year with my first filtering and I used Orlon and no matter what I did it was cloudy. Orlon was brand new and I just wasn't impressed with the results I was getting so I had immediate access to an identical 8-quart wool filter and I went and pick that up and brought it home reheated my syrup and filtered and it was clear. The next batch that I boiled I started out with the wool and again it filtered clear, so I gave up the orlon... No Looking Back.

Mark B
02-27-2019, 09:53 PM
Russ that sounds like an awesome idea that I will make use of when I put the whole thing together thanks for the idea.