PDA

View Full Version : how long until boil?

dhbiker1
10-09-2007, 05:40 PM
For a 2x6 raised flue when first starting a fire, how long after the syrup ban begins to boil should the flue pan start boiling assuming it is about an inch above the flues and the syrup pan is about 2 inches. I just want to be sure that I my gap under the flue pan isn't too large. I used vermiculite in the rear and put a layer of some asbestos fire board on top because the vermiculite was a small grain size. It is tucked tight under the lip of the baffle and about an inch below the back end of the pan so the combustion products can escape.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Your flue pan should probably start boiling some in about 10 to 15 minutes depending on how you fire and and if you have forced air, etc. As far as the syrup pan, it may take 45 minutes or an hour with a regular arch. Forced air or airtight arch would cut that in half or less.

dhbiker1
10-09-2007, 06:56 PM
on a quick test my syrup pan started boiling in about 5 minutes with only about 5 small pieces of wood. About 10 min later the flue pan seemed like it was close to a boil but not quite there yet. I put it out at this point because of a leak. Are you saying the flue pan should begin boiling before the syrup pan?

3% Solution
10-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Hi dhbiker1,
With our old barrel arch from the time I lit the paper till we were cranking it was about 15 - 20 minutes.
Syrup boiled first, as that is over the firebox, and would work it's way back through the unit.
Not sure what this new arch is going to do!
How big was your leak??

Dave

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Yes, his flue pan should boil before the syrup pan, well before it especially with 2 inches of sap in the syrup vs 1 inch in the flue pan. As you fire it more and get the hang of it, you will get it to boiling a little quicker each time!

There is aprox 7 times the surface area in the flues, so it is much easier to get the sap hotter there that is if you have proper draft.

royalmaple
10-09-2007, 10:17 PM
You'll likely see some movement or boiling happening in sections of the front pan, typically in the middle. But the real boil will happen in the flue pan first then you'll see the front pan totally boiling.

You won't see your front pan foaming up boiling and nothing in your flue pan.

I get some boiling spots in my front pan but not the whole pan, then the river gets rolling in the flue pan and then the front pan takes off.

Get the leak fixed and let it rip again for 30 - 45 minutes and see what happens. I think you didn't get enough run time to get things hot to really see how it operates. My evap takes a good hour of pounding the wood to it to get everything hot and rolling those bricks take a while to heat up.

Russell Lampron
10-10-2007, 05:22 AM
My 2x6 does basicaly the same thing as Matts. The front pan starts boiling in the middle in about 5 minutes and the flue pan shortly after if not at the same time. It takes close to an hour to get everything up to temp and flowing properly. You have to keep an eye on the syrup pan boiling in the middle and move some around to get it to flow to the draw off. If you don't it can make syrup in the middle of the pan and scorch before you get it out.

Russ

dhbiker1
10-10-2007, 05:35 PM
okay so i'll have to try again and go for a little bit longer. I think i'm going to try to get the gap under the flues a little tighter as well.

brookledge
10-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Bring the area under your flue pan right up flush with the side rails. You want all of your heat to have to go through the flues. When you leave space it allows the heat to travel right under the flues and up the stack.
Keith

3% Solution
10-10-2007, 09:12 PM
OOPS!
Sorry guys I guess I was talking out of turn here.
I have drop flues and you guys are talking about raised flues and I would think they would boil a bit different.
Sorry!

Dave