PDA

View Full Version : continuous flow. continuous darkening

canaanmaple
02-25-2019, 10:26 AM
first time with continuous flow pan. (2x4 drop flue hybrid) I notice the syrup getting darker and richer with every draw. I also notice an increase in dark niter particles in the pan and prefilters. Been boilin about 6-8 hrs a day for a week or so. Does anyone drain the pan at any point to start fresh? The first few draws were nice real light amber color, and also if I make a small batch on a flat pan, it will be much lighter this time of year. The last few draws are dark amber, yet I get nice clarity with a few prefilters and orlon filter.
Is it possible to have too much niter in the pan? or should I relax and have another beer?
thanks!

Sugarmaker
02-25-2019, 10:33 AM
Couple questions?
With a continuious flow rig you should produce the lightest syrup Ma Nature gives you. That doesnt mean it may not darken as the sap season and bacteria change in your process. Have seen all that.
Now if your boiling 6-8 hours per day. May I ask how much syrup your producing each day?
I boiled 6 hours last night and made 13 gallons of Amber syrup as an example, Yep I was using a continious flow system. Last syrup look same as the first.
Regards,
Chris

DrTimPerkins
02-25-2019, 10:43 AM
If you have any appreciable niter build-up you need to either: a) reverse the flow if your rig allows it or b) clean the pans. Allowing niter to accumulate will definitely result in darker syrup, and risks imparting a burnt-niter off-flavor and burning/warping of pan (even with liquid still in the pan).

canaanmaple
02-25-2019, 10:50 AM
Couple questions?
With a continuious flow rig you should produce the lightest syrup Ma Nature gives you. That doesnt mean it may not darken as the sap season and bacteria change in your process. Have seen all that.
Now if your boiling 6-8 hours per day. May I ask how much syrup your producing each day?
I boiled 6 hours last night and made 13 gallons of Amber syrup as an example, Yep I was using a continious flow system. Last syrup look same as the first.
Regards,
Chris

The amount per day has been increasing. the last few days I've gotten about 2 gallons per day. Its only a 2x4, and the arch is not that great design. (gbm) and the fire is hard to keep consistent. I think im only getting about 12 gph average.

canaanmaple
02-25-2019, 10:51 AM
If you have any appreciable niter build-up you need to either: a) reverse the flow if your rig allows it or b) clean the pans. Allowing niter to accumulate will definitely result in darker syrup, and risks imparting a burnt-niter off-flavor and burning/warping of pan (even with liquid still in the pan).

thanks Tim! That was my gut feeling.

DrTimPerkins
02-25-2019, 10:57 AM
thanks Tim! That was my gut feeling.

You're welcome. I've seen some really ugly, warped beyond fixing pans caused by excessive niter build-up. Scrap metal at that point. Keep them clean and you'll be much happier.

canaanmaple
02-26-2019, 01:15 PM
Do you think it is a bad idea to fire the 2x4 hybrid evaporator for only 4 hours or so each night? (day job) I am wondering if it is causing too much mixing of the syrup dividers into the flue dividers when doing so. I know on bigger rigs with separate pans, people say they can close the valve off between the flue pan and syrup pan when shutting down. I don't have that luxury, but I could always use a flat piece of stainless or something to close off the hole between the flue pan and front pans if that would make a significant difference? thanks!

Ed R
02-26-2019, 01:37 PM
I have a leader 2x4 Vermonter all in one pan hooked to a 2x2 flat pan that I use as a preheater pan which I can valve off. I have plugs for between the syrup portion panels and between the front pan and flue portion. The biggy is to remember to unplug when you start up the next boil. Boil every night you need to, its better than letting the sap stack up. I would use a flat piece of stainless an a clamp or two.

eustis22
02-26-2019, 01:49 PM
>Is it possible to have too much niter in the pan? or should I relax and have another beer?

These are not mutually exclusive.

maple flats
02-26-2019, 07:18 PM
Slide a nylon spatula at 45 degrees pointing away from you and pull it towards you on the bottom of the pan, if you feel a drag, clean the pan. If the spatula slides on a smooth bottom, you don't need to clean it yet.

tgormley358
02-27-2019, 09:50 AM
Thanks that’s very helpful. I lost 3 gallons out of 20 last year to bad tasting syrup I believe was due to not cleaning the pans frequently enough and also how I cleaned them when I did. Due to waiting too long I had a lot of niter buildup and had to use a chemical pan cleaner to get most of it out. Even though I rinsed used baking soda I think the combination was the cause.

canaanmaple
02-27-2019, 06:35 PM

how big of a deal is this build up on the pan?19547

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-27-2019, 07:16 PM
Nothing burnt on there yet but I’d clean it out before it does.

blissville maples
02-27-2019, 07:20 PM
Make sure when you draw your level on syrup side doesn't drop too suddenly- don't crack valve fully open!! This can make niter darker. Also when niter gets thick it can pop off the bottom of the pan and sometimes when it first loosens can burn underneath since for a hundreth of a second it's dry there.
Our pan usually has all the niter popped up off the bottom by morning, so every morning we drain, scrape off what's not popped up, rinse and go again- takes maybe half hr

smokeyamber
02-28-2019, 08:12 AM
I tend to run much like you for 4-6 hrs and then shut down. I run a Smokey Lake continous 2x5 and as I finish each night I use cork plugs to close the round openings between the channels, then the next day I wait until I have a boil going and remove the plugs. This seems to keep my gradient better and I get lighter syrup for longer. I can see niter buildup easily on the final channel so if I know there will be a cold snap I will then drain and clean the pan. I will use the plugs to drain the final channel into it's own container and when I refill I can start with somewhat of a gradient and thus draw sooner. For cleaning I have found vinegar works awesome, just fill the pan and let soak, it takes the niter right off.