PDA

View Full Version : Trusting my hanna meter or my eyes

miboss
02-25-2019, 08:35 AM
I've boiled 4 batches, all came out amber. The middle two were darker ambers (hanna 56 and 59), but #1 and #4, my wife and I thought were golden for sure.

Both #1 and #4 read as 73 on the hanna meter, although sometimes it will read as 74, but still amber according to scale. But putting it in the tradition grading box, I would call it golden...not sure what to do.

Will the maple syrup police come after me if I graded wrong? :lol: Obviously, I'm joking, but I'm sure everyone has been through this dilemma before.

FWIW, #1 definitely has an amber taste, #4 has a golden taste, in my opinion.

Thanks,

Mike

GeneralStark
02-25-2019, 08:58 AM
Assuming your hanna is calibrated every use it is pretty darn accurate. That syrup right on the edge of the line can be tricky. If the syrup is going to sit in a barrel for a while it will likely darken a bit, so that is something to consider.

I will often go with flavor if it is right on the line. If you make any confections, that syrup right on the golden/amber line is perfect. I tend to jug syrup that is more clearly a grade's flavor profile and color, and use the amber golden for confections.

Sugarmaker
02-25-2019, 10:04 AM
First look at your picture, I would say they are all amber.
As far as flavor. I think you need to label it for the color, not the flavor. So I think the Checker is probably giving you good numbers. Grading kits can change over time. I have one but still like to use a grading kit to view the sample bottles.
Just my 2 cents.
Our color hasn't changed yet, still amber with good flavor.
Regards,
Chris

DrTimPerkins
02-25-2019, 10:56 AM
Will the maple syrup police come after me if I graded wrong? :lol:

Depends where you are and how you're selling it. If it's on your own table it doesn't matter. Once you start to sell it that changes. If it bulk, the grade it is judged at is up to you and the packer who buys it. I "believe" (but could be wrong), that in Ohio, you can either choose to grade or not grade. If you do grade, it has to meet the full grading regulations and could be pulled from sale if somebody complains or it is inspected (low probability of that most likely).

Note that syrup will generally almost always darken somewhat, depending upon storage temperature and the container it is stored in. Some plastics are more permeable to oxygen (which causes darkening in syrup) than others. Glass is impermeable to oxygen. Tin also is impermeable, but may impart a metallic off-flavor with long-term storage.