PDA

View Full Version : 3/16 natural vacuum SPOUTS

Paul VT
02-24-2019, 12:44 PM
So what are people using for spouts this year? We have used the black D&G spouts. Last year we had some of them and some of the clear CDL spouts. We get pretty good natural vacuum on most of our lines. I know there has been a lot of data on the color of spouts. Haven’t bought spots for this year. What are people trying or using this year?
Thanks as always.

GeneralStark
02-25-2019, 09:00 AM
On 3/16 I use a T with a 5/16 drop and then use a poly check valve spout or a CDL smart spout if the tubing is new.

Maplewalnut
02-25-2019, 10:19 AM
I like clear cdl smart spouts. Easy leak check

DrTimPerkins
02-25-2019, 10:48 AM
I know there has been a lot of data on the color of spouts. Haven’t bought spots for this year. What are people trying or using this year?

How spout color will affect yield over a season depends upon the temperature and amount of sun we get during the season. In some years black does better; some years light does better, some years clear does better. Generally they are all really close unless it's a hot sunny season, in which case black spouts don't do so well. So...if you can give me an accurate and detailed weather forecast for your area over the next two months, I can try advise you which color to use. :)

Barring that...if you have a normally cold sugarbush, choose a darker-color spout. If you have a normally warm sugarbush, choose a light-colored spout. Clear spouts normally run about the same as a light-color, and have the added advantage of being able to observe leaks directly.

All the variety of tints really (probably) don't do much in terms of sap yield, but they are made so the big operators can give each member of the crew different colors to allow them to check and correct problems/tapping issues.

We tend to use clear spouts.

Hop Kiln Road
02-25-2019, 01:37 PM
I have good luck with 3/16 drop with a DSD Stars .225 thin wall tap. Thin walls don't seem to leak at the tap hole. Color depends on my mood when ordering.

Paul VT
02-25-2019, 04:12 PM
All good advice. Thanks. Have used the black D&G spouts most years. Last year used a mix of those and clear (mostly clear). Never got a good run. It’s a cold bush so what Tim said makes sense. Think we will go with black.
Thanks again.