PDA

View Full Version : Help need shurflo expert

steve J
02-24-2019, 09:36 AM
I got everything wired and I followed diagram that was posted on here to wire thermostat. But it came with no instructions how to program? There are 3 buttons one on left seems to be set up button. But it only seems to give option of PO which seems to have 6 levels. And a choice of H or C. The others two buttons allow you to toggle up or back.so how the heck do you set a high turn on and a low shut off?

raptorfan85
02-24-2019, 10:14 AM
If you press the first button one time quickly, you will see it start to flash a number. That is the temperature that you want the pump to shut off at. Sweet that at like -1. If you press the first button and hold it for a few seconds it goes into program mode. P0 should be set to C, for cooling mode. P1 is the backlash setting. So if you already have the shut off temp at -1 and want it to turn on at 1 Celsius, set P1 to 2. That is the Gap between the shut off temp (-1) and the turn on temp (1). The other settings really don't apply to what we're using them for.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.herman-shop.com/PDF/thermostat%2520w1209%2520instruction.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwifktSc4dTgAhWntlkKHelbC-8QFjAGegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1md36CTi3hVCtdUmyn_dyB

That's a manual. It took me a while of playing with it too get it dialled in.

steve J
02-24-2019, 10:32 AM
Mine does not let me go below 30.0? When I push button once

raptorfan85
02-24-2019, 10:39 AM
You might have the lower limit set to high. Go into P3 and make sure it's set low enough. If it won't let you go below 30 it's probably set at 30.

steve J
02-24-2019, 11:09 AM
That was the issue! Now I guess there is no way to test until it’s out in weather and the weather breaks whic in my area looks like another two weeks.

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
02-24-2019, 02:01 PM
You can test it, I used a few ice cubes. Just set your limits a little higher so that you can see it turn the pump off and on. Once you understand how it all works set it back to 1 degree above freezing and you will be good to go.

steve J
02-28-2019, 06:48 PM
I have not been up here for the past week so I am just getting back to programming this. I did get the pump to run this afternoon. I have one line running into a nipple and on a second nipple I have a vacuum gauge. I put my hand on open end of line was a bit surprised that suction was only moderate? But I also saw no reading on gauge. I only an for minute or so.r

bawplank
02-28-2019, 07:58 PM
Where should the vacuum gauge be at? I put it on the end of line and only got 13. Never thought to put it by the pump?

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
03-01-2019, 07:24 AM
I think you shouldnt be expecting to get 25" of vacuum from these little pumps. I havent put gauges on mine because I dont want to be disappointed lol Im getting good flows and collecting during the runs. So for my 1st season with using these setups I am happy.

Urban Sugarmaker
03-01-2019, 07:29 AM
Where should the vacuum gauge be at? I put it on the end of line and only got 13. Never thought to put it by the pump?

I have one gauge at the end of each mainline and one at the pump just prior to the strainer and inlet. I got the gauges at DirectMaterial.com. They are inexpensive. I am getting 18" of vac with a fair to good sap flow. Vac is slightly lower at the end of the mains but I have a sap ladder on of them so that is probably expected.

Incidentally, if you need a sap ladder it will actually work on a Shurflo setup. Mine is a 40 inch rise and I lose maybe 2" of vac beyond the ladder.

mol1jb
03-02-2019, 06:38 PM

In my shurflo on 3/4 main I commonly pull 15”. And when I get around there I call it good. You cant just look at others pulling 20s” and say that should be me too. It takes an extremely tight system and there are many variables to different bushes. I have lots of squirrels that I cant eliminate being on Park District grounds. And with all that I think 15” is great.

raptorfan85
03-02-2019, 08:23 PM
After playing with mine and getting it somewhat dialed in, I can usually get around 20-22"at the manifold. I have 3 runs of 26,20 and 14. I usually get around 15"-18" at the end of each run and I'm pretty happy with that.

bmbmkr
03-03-2019, 05:27 PM
Shurflo 4008, 62 taps, 5 laterals 3/16, all have 5/16 drops , 3/16 transitions to 5/16 at the 1/2" PVC manifold. Started at 10", fixed some leaks got it to 14", found 2 more leaks the next day, pulling 24" now. I'm pumping into a single 5/16 that runs downhill about 75' to the tank. The other day I had to take the battery back to the shop to recharge it/ When I brought the battery back a few hours later, gravity was pulling 5" without the pump running. I was afraid pumping into 5/16 was going to bottleneck it. I will have the pump on top of the tank next year, I ran out of tubing this year!

Update Trees were frozen last week Mar 4-8. I cut 12 Red maple drops out ( trees budding)and spliced the tubing back together. Turned the pump on Friday afternoon about 2 pm, the sap didn't start flowing until about 10pm, Saturday was warm and didn't freeze Saturday night Sunday morning at 8 AM 140 gallons and still flowing. Monday AM another 125 gallons. [ATTACH=CONFIG]19587

Stiets
03-11-2019, 01:10 PM
Great post love all the vacuum info. So far my vacuum setup has been great. This is my second year with it. I am getting 15" at the pump with 3 lines having 20 taps on each line. Getting 15",22",25" at the ends. The with 15" has a small clump in one spot. Wondering if I have a small leak at the pump since I am getting less pull there and more at the ends. Does that seem correct? Or should I change out the gauges at the end of the lines since they sat outside during the off season.

Also I went with a "T" configuration for the manifold. The blue line is the recirculating line. Any thoughts if an inline configuration would be better like the one above?? Thank you

mol1jb
03-11-2019, 01:40 PM
Great post love all the vacuum info. So far my vacuum setup has been great. This is my second year with it. I am getting 15" at the pump with 3 lines having 20 taps on each line. Getting 15",22",25" at the ends. The with 15" has a small clump in one spot. Wondering if I have a small leak at the pump since I am getting less pull there and more at the ends. Does that seem correct? Or should I change out the gauges at the end of the lines since they sat outside during the off season.

Also I went with a "T" configuration for the manifold. The blue line is the recirculating line. Any thoughts if an inline configuration would be better like the one above?? Thank you

If you are running 3/16 for your lines with slope you should have a higher vac reading at the end of each line than the pump. The vac reading at the pump should be in addition to the natural vac your 3/16 lines produce. What do you mean by small clump?

Stiets
03-12-2019, 03:44 AM
If you are running 3/16 for your lines with slope you should have a higher vac readi.....What do you mean by small clump?

Sorry about that. Yes 3/16" tubing. It should of been a small "climb" up hill like 6" before in drops again. The bush is pretty flat with only a small drop in elevation. That's why I went with the vacuum setup. I will check for any leaks around pump and manifold today after work. Thank you

Biz
03-12-2019, 08:31 AM
You may have a leak. Last night I saw 21" at the pump side of my Shurflo setup with 90 taps on three 3/16" lines, sap running well. When I first set it up I saw 14", then when I walked the lines I found major leaks near the end of both lines (oops, forgot to drive in a couple taps...). Check for fast moving bubbles.

Dave

Stiets
03-13-2019, 06:53 AM
Maybe my gauge is bad by the pump. I checked for leaks in the lines and did not see any fast moving bubbles. I tightened all the clamps at the pump no change still at 15". I did notice that I am getting more at the end of the lines. They are now at 28",25," & 18". All more than the day before. I am thinking I still have some trees waking up since there is still a little snow cover frozen areas in the bush. Overall I am really happy with the vacuum setup compared to buckets. Not going to get hung up on chasing inches of vacuum. I got 50 gallons off 60 taps yesterday with second year tubing new taps. Thank you Biz and mol1jb for the help.

mol1jb
03-13-2019, 08:58 PM
Maybe my gauge is bad by the pump. I checked for leaks in the lines and did not see any fast moving bubbles. I tightened all the clamps at the pump no change still at 15". I did notice that I am getting more at the end of the lines. They are now at 28",25," & 18". All more than the day before. I am thinking I still have some trees waking up since there is still a little snow cover frozen areas in the bush. Overall I am really happy with the vacuum setup compared to buckets. Not going to get hung up on chasing inches of vacuum. I got 50 gallons off 60 taps yesterday with second year tubing new taps. Thank you Biz and mol1jb for the help.

Its not uncommon for me to pull 15” at the pump when sap flow is light. Once flow picks then vac raises up to around 20”.