PDA

View Full Version : Questions on swamp areas ,, and maple tree groupings

Mplematt
02-23-2019, 06:55 PM
Just trying to get some information on how you tap large grouping of maple trees in one “ bunch”. Have multiple maples that have 5 or 6 ,10 inch diameter or bigger maple trees. Do I treat them individually or just tap 2 as one tree. 2nd question is have 2 large maple areas that are in swampy areas . Last year I bucket tapped 3 large maples in 1 area and got low sap while everything else was running well. Is this an area that should be tapped later?? These areas stay frozen a lot longer. Thks Matt

Russell Lampron
02-23-2019, 07:54 PM
When I have several trees growing out of one root ball I treat them as culls and put a tap in every one that is 4" or larger. For your last question, it may just be the area that they're in. You can try tapping them later but they still may not run well. I have a couple of red maples that I tried tapping a couple of times and they never wet the bottom of the buckets the whole season while the trees around them ran good.

bigschuss
02-24-2019, 06:13 AM
2nd question is have 2 large maple areas that are in swampy areas . Last year I bucket tapped 3 large maples in 1 area and got low sap while everything else was running well. Is this an area that should be tapped later?? These areas stay frozen a lot longer. Thks Matt

I live on a swampy, mountainous plateau and I have many maples that grow in cold, swampy areas. They do tend to "wake up" later and run later than my maples that grow upland.

maple flats
02-24-2019, 06:58 AM
I don't have any groups with more than 2 stems. I tap each as if it were separate, but only if 10" or larger.