PDA

View Full Version : Tapping Grand Traverse County

Gini@AngelBearFarm
02-22-2019, 12:48 PM
We're still using bags. This morning we tapped 40 trees that we can easily reach on snowshoes (we still have 12-18" of snow in the woods) to take advantage of the warm weekend. Next warm spell we will tap the remaining 59, some of which are less accessible.

Lethalbowman
02-22-2019, 01:12 PM
Resisted the temptation to put a few taps in for the warm up as it's just going to get cold again next week. I have always found that the early flow of sap is rather low sugar percent.

corbyshaw
03-07-2019, 12:20 PM
we are thinking of tapping this weekend... still not sure.

Lethalbowman
03-07-2019, 01:11 PM
I can't stand it any more, after seeing all my memories on Facebook from years past where I had already been boiling for several weekends by now I have decided to get my operation started this weekend. I will have my 50 bag holders on my property and probably 8-10 taps feeding 5 gallon buckets at my dad's property. He's 91 but still wants to be involved if only to tell me to come empty the buckets.

Lethalbowman
03-20-2019, 10:53 AM
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19781[/
With the season in full swing now I am so pleased to be seeing the high sugar content from the sap I have been getting as compared to previous years. I reduced 55 gallons down to 5 last weekend and plan to finish while boiling the next batch of sap I am collecting during this week. It's going to be a busy weekend.