PDA

View Full Version : Sour smelling pan - what do I do?

MarkL
02-19-2019, 10:25 AM
I uncovered my pan to get ready to boil later this week. The milk stone was so stubborn last year, I could not get it off the pan completely, and now it smells sour.

Here's what I've done to try to clean the pan, over the years.

- Oakite
-50/50 vinegar/water soak for a few days
-letting sap ferment for months

Combined with very aggressive scrubbing none of these suggestions offered complete removal of milk stone, and of course the season is upon us so this is a bit of an "emergency."

Any new thoughts? Acid? Where do I get it on short notice?

I'm tempted to try Bar Keeper's Friend or Bon Ami but they have their own aromas and I don't want them potentially ruining the syrup.

Thanks,

Mark

DrTimPerkins
02-19-2019, 10:41 AM
I assume when you say "milk stone" you actually mean niter? How thick is it? Is it continuous or just in some areas? Photos? Did you clean it in any way already after the season ended in 2018?

What kind of pan (most likely stainless, but some people still have English tin or even copper)? How is it constructed (solder or welded)? If soldered, is it lead or lead-free solder? How long until you will need to boil?

MarkL
02-19-2019, 11:08 AM

Hi, stainless, tig welded, needs to be ready Friday!

Thanks,

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrTimPerkins
02-19-2019, 12:12 PM
The photo isn't great, but really doesn't look too bad. Unless I'm not seeing it right, most of the niter looks to be on the sidewalls where it doesn't affect things much.

USE THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS AT YOUR OWN RISK

Plug all drains/shut off any valves (drawoff, connection to backpan).

Fill pan with water to whatever depth needed (permeate water would be best), heat it up a little with a small fire or short time with oil-burner.

Using the proper PPE - personal protective equipment (gloves, goggles, etc.), add the amount of acid (pan acid, phosphoric NEVER hydrochloric acid/muriatic acid) in the amount recommended on label (varies depending upon strength of acid). NOTE -- always add acid to water rather than adding water to acid.

Allow to work for several hours or overnight. Brush gently with a nylon brush if needed (using PPE). Take care to avoid splashing.

Neutralize with baking soda. Drain and dispose of solution as determined by local/state regulations.

Flush pan COPIOUSLY with water. Then flush again.

Repeat if necessary.

NOTE that the use of acid on soldered pans should only be done with care.

MarkL
02-19-2019, 12:17 PM
Thanks Dr. Tim,

Where do I purchase phosphoric acid? Is it commonly available in say hardware stores, or more likely need to be ordered?

Mark

DrTimPerkins
02-19-2019, 12:21 PM
Most any maple equipment dealer would have it.

MarkL
02-19-2019, 12:43 PM
Unfortunately the closest dealer is 2 hours or so away. I can get this at the local homebrew shop, what do you think of this formulation? I know it's not just phosphoric acid, but it is within walking distance!

Thank you for taking the time to answer!

Mark

https://www.beveragefactory.com/images/guides/StarSan-TECH.pdf

SDdave
02-19-2019, 01:01 PM
Do you have an ag store nearby? I use dairy acid, used to clean milkstone deposits in milk lines. Gloves are a must.

SDdave

DrTimPerkins
02-19-2019, 01:19 PM
Dairy acid (the phosphoric acid) would probably work fine, but the label might not give instructions for maple pan use. StarSan is a an acid-based sanitizer...mainly used for cleaning/sanitizing biological material.

MarkL
02-19-2019, 06:46 PM
Alright I found this at my local farm supply, they just got it in for sugaring season. I will give it a try when it warms up a bit later in the week. Thanks for all the info and suggestions.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190220/fb7d8deaa714840645c8f1a6a0bffed3.jpg

MarkL
02-21-2019, 10:27 PM
The acid helped and I gave the pan a good rinsing. Now to reassemble and start boiling this weekend.

DrTimPerkins
02-22-2019, 08:41 AM
Glad to hear it. Happy boiling !