PDA

View Full Version : Making divided pan any advice

Milbags
02-19-2019, 09:47 AM
So I’ve got a new 2x3 flat pan and I’m wanting to add dividers in the pan. My pans 20 gauge stainless Is that thick enough to weld dividers in and also is it worth doing it

Cjadamec
02-19-2019, 10:29 AM
Yes it is thick enough to weld, but the fact that you need to ask that question leads me to think you probably do not have the tools or welding skills to do so. You will need a pretty decent welder who has a good amount of TIG experience to weld that divider in.

Also if adding the divider it would be fairly important to use the same grade of stainless steel as the pan, which you may or may not know. You also need to match your filler rod to the pan / divider material.

It being worth it is subjective. A divided pan will allow you to draw finished or near finished syrup out of the pan rather than having to batch process and empty the entire pan in one shot. The amount of sap you have on hand and how you typically boil will weigh in on how worth it adding a divider would be.

Milbags
02-19-2019, 10:49 AM
As of right now I have a welding shop making the pan and using stainless steel. They would have the tools I just have to figure out how I would like them installed

snakes14009
02-19-2019, 10:56 AM
I just finished welding my own pan with 3 dividers and it was 20ga if they can weld the pans then they can weld in the dividers. as long as they are equally spaced you should be ready to rock.

Milbags
02-19-2019, 12:05 PM
Does it matter what way the dividers go on the pan. I right now would like to go sideways as oppose the length says only reason is the bungs for drawing off are both on the same side of the pan. So fresh sap comes in the same side as the discharge

Cjadamec
02-19-2019, 12:18 PM
Ahh your first post made it sound like you already had a pan and wanted to add to it. If the pan is currently being fabricated then yea by all means add dividers if that the route you want to go. It shouldn't cost much in material but will add extra labor.

As for which way to run the dividers, in a 2x3 it's not going to mater too much. You would get a longer flow path if you divide it length wise which will help the gradient develop easier but if you already have the ports welded in so go with the way that works. Or you can add another port since you are already taking on more welding to the job.