PDA

View Full Version : Water jacket canned build?

cjf12
02-18-2019, 05:50 PM
Looking to have a water jacket canner made by a good metal worker. Anyone have any plans or ideas to share to help me out with it. I have a propane stove top on my kitchen area I figured I could put it on. Turkey fryer is also an option.

maple flats
02-18-2019, 06:40 PM
No plans, but if you do it, have at least 2.5-3" space between the bottom of the unit and the bottom of the inner container, the rest of the space can be as small as 3/4-1".
May I suggest, rather than on the stove or turkey fryer you consider a 2000 or 3000 watt electric element with a thermostat that will give you at the least temperatures at least 185, 190F is better. That will be far easier to bottle because you can hold the temperature right and just concentrate on the packaging.

cjf12
02-18-2019, 06:59 PM
Do you install the element between the layers where the water would be? Would a hot water heater element work? One for a commercial use water heater would get hot enough but would also have to 220v.
Thought the propane could also help if I needed to use it as a finisher and help save some electrical load on my lacking subpanel.
Thanks

upsmapleman
02-19-2019, 06:45 AM
I live in north central pa. I had one made for my wife to bottle mustard but it didn't work as the syrup would seperate. I have it listed in maple news as I don't have a use for it. It is new only used once. It is made to set on a burner like you were talking.I had it made with a slope bottom so it drains completly. It is all set up ready to go. If interested send me a tex to 570-439-5453 and I will send a pic.

Zucker Lager
02-19-2019, 10:57 AM
Do you install the element between the layers where the water would be? Would a hot water heater element work? One for a commercial use water heater would get hot enough but would also have to 220v.
Thought the propane could also help if I needed to use it as a finisher and help save some electrical load on my lacking subpanel.
Thanks
Hey Cjf12:
I did just that using a water heater element here is the link to my build. Jay
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?31226-Hobby-Water-Jacket-Bottle-Filler