PDA

View Full Version : Central/East Central Wisconsin

bprifle01
02-17-2019, 06:13 AM
Is anyone getting sap? I'm holding off tapping until the weather starts to look better. Last year I was tapped and sap was running by now. Ten day forecast has a couple of promising days this week, but long range doesn't look good until after the first of March. Just wondering what others may be thinking?

Super Sapper
02-17-2019, 06:37 AM
It is still too early. It will take a few warm days to thaw the trees. It looks like mid March before it starts which is the old normal.

bprifle01
02-17-2019, 07:43 AM
"Old" normal? I'm not sure what you mean by that. I'm old too, but I also have a pretty short memory. Looking at the long range forecast on Accuweather, the middle of March it will be before we get good sap flow around here. I'm just getting antsy.

Super Sapper
02-18-2019, 08:13 AM
From what I have heard is that it normally started around St. Pattys but lately we seem to be getting good sap weather at the end of Feb. This will only be my 8th year but early runs are getting more frequent lately.

Trapper2
02-20-2019, 08:52 AM
I guess I should have looked at our main Wisconsin thread before I started a thread on the main page. You Wisconsin guys are smart, LOL.
It doesn't look like we will have a 7 week season like last year. I finished off my last batch last year April 23rd. I'm predicting a March 16th start for me.
I hope we don't get this again like last year in April.

bprifle01
03-14-2019, 07:22 PM
We'll, it's finally here! I tapped my trees today and all taps were running immediately. I hope the creek doesn't rise further than it already has or I won't be able to collect from some of my buckets. It's come up a couple of inches since I put the taps in.

bprifle01
03-17-2019, 07:48 PM
I put 12 taps in on Thursday evening and I've collected 41 gallons of sap so far. The rest of the week looks pretty good for sap too. I plan to boil for a couple of hours every evening this week after work. Don't have a lot of time to boil, so have to do whatever I can whenever I can.

Trapper2
03-18-2019, 10:56 AM
I put in close to 100 on Saturday, pretty constant drip. Looked like 3 quarts Sunday morning when I headed back to FDL. Yes, perfect weather this week.