PDA

View Full Version : Drilling problem

Z/MAN
02-14-2019, 09:45 PM
I use a 5/16 Canadian tapping bit and it has worked excellent over the years. This year I am noticing while attempting to drill 1 1/2 inch into the trees my bit stops going in at about 1 1/4 inch. I have to pull it out to clean out the wood cuttings and then it goes the rest of the way in with no problem. Is it just time for a new bit? I have it about 8-9 years.

Maple Man 85
02-15-2019, 12:08 AM
I can't speak for the condition of the bit but generally speaking a bit that old is due for replacement.

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-15-2019, 04:08 AM
I drill about 2000 holes and replace the bit!

Russell Lampron
02-15-2019, 05:38 AM
I'm thinking that your bit is getting dull. When I've had that problem I've replaced the bit with a new one and the problem goes away.

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-15-2019, 07:03 AM
The bit needs replacing. We went through 12 this year to drill 8600 holes. I replace after 7-800 holes. It's amazing the difference.
Neil

maple flats
02-15-2019, 08:02 AM
I replace them about every 500 holes, even though I have a drill Dr. bit sharpener. Once sharpened they are used to drill other things, not tapping trees. Even after 500 holes the difference is very apparent as the first tap hole is drilled after the last one at about hole # 500. Also,I think I've found that a new bit will cut enough better that the hole will flow better and remain open a little longer, but maybe it's just my imagination.

maple flats
02-15-2019, 08:07 AM
Oh, and I forgot to say, every year I start with a new bit. For this year I hope to get to 900-1000 taps, I have 2 new bits. On the DSD mainline bits, those seem to be good for several years, I only replace those if one gets rust on it, I think that only happened once.

DrTimPerkins
02-15-2019, 08:57 AM
I agree -- probably time for a new bit. We go through a bunch each year for 5,000 taps. For those bits that span more than one season (not real common -- more likely for those used in small research projects), they have a piece of tubing put over the end, and are placed back into a plastic bag, and are carefully stored in a drawer where they don't roll around and hit other objects.

snoskier16
02-15-2019, 11:23 AM
It does sound like a new bit is in order, but I can share my experience.

This season I used a brand new 5/16" tapping bit and experienced a similar situation where the bit didn't want to go the last 1/4" into the hole without additional force. After a couple of holes, I realized that what was happening was the flutes were packing up with chips and since I was using a piece of tubing slid over the bit as a depth stop, the chips were not being passed out of the hole pas the tubing, causing the bit to stop cutting as effectively. Clearing the chips would bring back full cutting abilities. I simply moved the tubing back a little on the bit and didn't drill all the way to the stop, but I suspect using a metal drill stop would resolve this issue as well. Just another option of what could be going on.

maple flats
02-15-2019, 12:03 PM
That may help but it will not change an old well used tapping bit into a new SHARP bit which will make a better hole.

Z/MAN
02-15-2019, 07:58 PM
Thanks everyone. A new drill bit will be ordered.