PDA

View Full Version : Pan dividers in small pan

JFH51
10-02-2007, 02:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone is able to drawoff syrup or close to syrup from a small unit like a half pint? I have a 20 x 30 setup that I am considering to add dividers into, I would like to be able to drawoff partial syrup and then finish on my 12 x12 propane fired finish pan.
John

SapSuckers
10-02-2007, 04:22 PM
I run a single pan unit similar to a half pint but larger. I have 4 channels in my pan. I fill my pan with raw sap to get started, then when i start to raise the temp past boiling, i will begin to draw and add at the same time. I will replace close to 2 channels worth of sap. At this point i can start to see some color changes from the first channel to last. Now i will leave my feed cracked to begin my "push" to get my most done sap to the end. With all of that said, i can come very close to syrup, but find finishing it on the side will give me the best product, and i think this is what you will have to do to avoid making a "batch" of syrup or worse buring your pan.

JFH51
10-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Sapsuckers,
Thanks for the info. Your discription is close to what I have planned for my unit. I now feed into the pan from a preheater tank at about 6 gph which equals the evaporation rate, this maintains a level in the pan. I would like to minimize the time in the pan, so adding dividers and being able to drawoff occassionally will accomplish this.
John

Uncle Tucker
10-03-2007, 08:04 PM
HiJFH51
I have a half pint and I only draw off finished syrup. I mounted a thermometer in the last channel and I wait until it reaches 7 above boiling. The first boil each season I don’t draw off any syrup even though it’s close. The idea is to leave the sap in the pan to the next boil. Any boils after that the syrup comes about every hour. The trick is not to draw off to much. I don’t draw off more than a hydrometer cup worth at a time.