PDA

View Full Version : High Quality Winter Work Gloves

Bruce L
02-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Have been looking all over,having trouble finding any. Pretty much all you can find now is gloves with “ thinsulate “ which are pretty much useless when the temperature drops below freezing. Years ago I purchased a 3 pack of either cowhide or pigskin gloves that were heavy pile lined,and actually had a layer of plastic like vapour barrier between the exterior and the heavy pile lining. They were virtually indestructible,you could handle any amount of snow covered wood and would never get your hands or the insulation wet. Any ideas on gloves like this would be greatly appreciated. Found a pair that sounds pretty good on amazon,but $199.00 !!!,forget it

Cjadamec
02-12-2019, 04:20 PM
Berne heavy duty utility glove. About 15 a pair. Insulated and waterproof heavy duty leather outers.

My biggest problem with them is they are too warm and make my hands sweat. Otherwise they are great and hold up well.

bigschuss
02-12-2019, 05:17 PM
Anything by Kinco is going to be a lot of glove at a good value. I swear by them. These aren't your cheap, Home Depot or Tractor Supply specials.

https://www.kinco.com/

Specifically, I always buy this model when I eventually wear a pair out.

https://www.kinco.com/product/1927kw

I'd be very surprised if anybody was unhappy with them for cold weather work or outdoor sports.

cjf12
02-12-2019, 05:29 PM
I work outside daily and wear nothing but atlas winter weight gloves. Good for dexterity which is important to me. I can't stand not being able to handle tools because of bulky gloves. If I know my hands will be getting wet I will slip on nitrile gloves underneath.
If I'm simply running equipment or 4 wheeler in the cold I wear lined mittins. Hands are usually to warm in them.

saphead
02-12-2019, 06:24 PM
I too like the Showa Atlas Therma-Fit PF 451 latex coated gloves,good dexterity and great for firewood as you don't have to grip as hard.Just ordered a 12 pack for $31.75 from ebay.You can toss them in the washer when they start to stink. For really cold weather the Kinco style are great,knit cuff or open, but dexterity is limited. Used to work at a hydro plant (30 yrs.) so got to know what worked playing with ice and water. The key for leather is either pigskin or goatskin as it will not be stiff as a plank when it dries.I like the nitrile trick,will have to try that!

sweeteffinsyrup
02-26-2019, 06:14 PM
The kinco gloves are pretty warm. I do line work so wearing gloves is crucial. Layering anywhere you can is key when it really gets cold so I wear a relatively thin pair of wool gloves under my leather work gloves. When I need to switch to rubber gloves the woolies never leave my hands just swap the leathers out. Works great for me as I work outside all day and night sometimes too but never have exposed skin

TapTapTap
02-26-2019, 07:23 PM
I agree with Kincos on the cold days and the neoprene type with knitted backside for moderate weather.

maple flats
02-27-2019, 07:05 AM
While not high quality I've used these www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-7891M/Warehouse-Gloves/String-Knit-Gloves-Mens?pricode=WB1634&gadtype=pla&id=S-7891M&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh9njBRCYARIsALJhQkHMO6bm3MScuI9nZ11B IQ3dPQvSUg89dqECssxHW1GbtnGdn8aQX-YaAqv9EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds as liners or doubled. Just keep a few spare pair for when they get wet. I have also used these uline.com/Product/Detail/S-17931L/Warehouse-Gloves/Latex-Coated-String-Knit-Gloves-Large?pricode=WB1112&gadtype=pla&id=S-17931L&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh9njBRCYARIsALJhQkGGB1QMdnjzD2lZnDtG jVeJfA5JujC219w6S0Bx28-q5JNO_kgCJOYaAuVREALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
in the past with a pair of the uncoated under the coated. While I used a link I do not recall who I bought them from.
I started using them after a friend who worked for a large utility company told me that was what the company supplied for the workers except for when working near high voltage. At that time I was in the outdoor boiler business and they worked quite well. They gave decent dexterity.

GeneralStark
02-27-2019, 09:19 AM
I use that style of woven latex gloves as well. I've used Kinco or whatever other brand they have at the hardware store. I too like the dexterity and if it is really cold I use handwarmers and even working with metal-handled tools I am good. I'll put insulated mittens over them if I don't need dexterity.

I like that trick of using nitrile gloves as well on wet days.

Clarkfield Farms
03-07-2019, 07:38 AM
Ditto Kinco. Also military surplus wool gloves under military surplus mittens, I know mittens forfeit some dexterity but that combination is unbeatable for warmth without sweat.