PDA

View Full Version : October Journal

Parker
10-01-2007, 03:46 AM
Got a bunch more wood cut to length and trucked over to the sugarhouse,,should have enough over there to fill it now,,just got to finish splitting it and stack it,,,,,I was thinking,,if I had a steamaway I would have more than enough wood now,,,,and I could be working on fixing tubing in the woods,,,,mabey next year?

PATheron
10-01-2007, 04:12 AM
Parker- 3% solution was talking about making a steamaway if I understood him right. If you guys could come up with something yourself you might have something that works pretty good for not much money in it. He was talking about doing that or an RO but the RO would be expensive and if you didnt have much in the homeade steamaway but it worked pretty good seems like that would be great to me. I might have misunderstood him but thats what i thought he meant. I have a friend that I thought had one on a big evap but he said that its just a hood. Theron

Parker
10-01-2007, 04:28 AM
Theron- I have a lead on one that would fit my rig for $2500,,Problem is $2500 ha, ha,,and I would have to make some MAJOR renovations to my sugarhouse (removing a wall-replacing with a sliding door-setting up an overhead rolling track system-ect.-ect.) In time I hope to have one,,

southfork
10-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Have all wood in for the next two years. Just purchased another 300 acres of mostly sugar maple and put in new sugarbush roads. Plum Creek Timber company is rapidly selling off large parcels of land in Wisconsin and I was fortunate to grab some next to my existing sugarbush. I only tap my trees every other year as I have plenty. Probably could tap up to 10,000 or so but do not have time and like to keep things at a hobby, usually 500-700 taps. Good luck to all this fall-------Race

3% Solution
10-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Hi Parker and PA,
Yup I am going to have a steam-away made within the next couple of months. All it is is a box with a bunch of junk in it! Oh yeah and a blower.
The bad part about this project is the labor to build it.
That would be a good deal for you on that steam-away Parker.
Man, if that sucker is any good buy it!!!!!! It will pay for it's self!
I figure if I only get 50% increase in the evaporation rate I will go from 18 gph to 27 gph, now that's a kick in the butt!
Well let us know Parker.

Dave

TapME
10-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Parker, if you have your wood shed full you have done real well to date. I really liked the way you bring the wood to the evap on those skids it really must save your back. If I remember you can put 20 cords in your shed? I liked your setup when I was there, and any improvements would be great to have If they come at the right price. I will try to visit the next time that we go down. Things are busy here with work and wood, and wood shed. Just went to look at a dairy tank that has cooling coils in it (about 300 gallons) with an agitator in it as well. And a vacuum pump as well. Think Russ and I will have 200 or more taps this coming season on a 3x7. Time will tell.

Parker
10-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Race- let me know when you want me to move my lifestyle out there-could handel just thinning a 10,000 tap bush most of the year and helping collect-boil-work on tubing during the season,,,,you buying the R.O.?
3%- no $ means lots of wood to go for this season,,mabey next year,,
Tap M.E.- the wood shed on the sugar house is 38X20 and I try to stack 8' high,,plus 1.5 cords in the sugarhouse in front of the evaporator,,,,by god gurt it will be full befor snow flies,,,no running out of wood this spring,,dont have that tractor taking up room in the woodshed,,,,,have had a bunch of poor years in a row,,this year is gonna be the big one :)

Sugarmaker
10-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Cutting firewood for 2008 to heat the house. Just getting started but only need about 6 cords. Not much compared to the wood some of you guys burn at the sugarhouse. WOW!
Just put the new medication on the bees for mites. Time will tell. It was a rebuilding year for the bees. I am back up to 7 hives, and that's enough for me at this time. I did take off about 150 lb on nice goldenrod honey Saturday and Sunday afternoon.
Andy P From the trader is going to stop in tomorrow so I worked on getting the sugarhouse spruced up so we can at least walk through it! He is coming up to North east for grape juice. Humm wonder what he is doing with that?
A young guy at work want 2-1/2 lb of honey to make some beer a. another friend at work gave me a bottle of 7 year old mead. ( saving that for Christmas ).

Still working on taking apart tubing system from last year changing the design and putting it back together with 30P for the lines. I am going to use some CDL fittings to make it so I can take it down easier.

Also planning to go to the PA State Maple tour this week end in Somerset PA. Looking forward to a little Maple vacation with Cheryl. We hope to stop in North Pittsburgh to see our son Adam and his girlfriend on the way back home.

Regards,
Chris

PATheron
10-02-2007, 04:32 AM
3%- I think its pretty amazing that your making the steamaway. Keep us posted on that project. When you were talking about that verses an ro. I was thinking if you can make the steamaway and even if it doesnt match the ro who cares if you have diddly in the steamaway verses a large investment in the ro. Parker- I got the pictures, that shed looks darn nice. Mighty marvin definitely looks mighty. How much sap can that thing boil in an hour? This last spring I deliberately didnt make syrup so I could go around to everyones shed while they were boiling to ask questions and get ideas. Every where I went the people were great to me and each place was nice. The one place I went was an older shed where they had made syrup for a long time. It had a cupalo with a big old evap with no hood an the steam just rolled. It was awesome. It was exactly what i think of when I think of syruping. Theron

Mike
10-02-2007, 09:09 AM
LaPierre raised there prices another 13%.........GREEDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tuckermtn
10-02-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm going to guess that you will see a lot of Canadian maple manufacturers upping their prices in the coming months...the CDN dollar is at or above par ($1 CDN = $1 US) right now so it causing many canadian manufacturers to raise the prices they charge for goods made north of the border...lumber, building materials, maple equipment...I would be surprised if it ever makes Leader equipment look like a deal though...

on the flip side it may make the syrup they make too expensive on the wholesale market and result in increased demand for US produced syrup...and maybe more $$ for commercial syrup...but then again I heard the Canadian producers have thousands of gallons of syrup in storage...

I keep watching the $$ my wife and I have saved up for this year get smaller and smaller b/c of the stronger CDN dollar. When we were here 15 yrs ago it was .60 Cdn to 1 US dollar...

-tuckermtn

ennismaple
10-02-2007, 11:55 AM
...but then again I heard the Canadian producers have thousands of gallons of syrup in storage...

You are referring to the Quebec maple producers. The have a co-op they have to sell their syrup to if they don't sell farm gate. Everyone's syrup is mixed together, pasteurized and stored in warehouses for years. Last I heard they have 8 million pounds (about 750,000 gallons) in storage. In Ontario we don't have that system - we're on our own and everything we sell is this year's syrup.

The strong Cdn $ doesn't affect me much since we don't export. It does make buying from the U.S. more attractive.

tuckermtn
10-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Ennis- yes I was referring to the Quebec co-op...sorry to lump all Canadian producers together...

yes, around here there is much talk of folks crossing the border to Washington and Idaho to buy stuff with the stronger CDN $$.

I hope to sell some of my syrup here in BC by word of mouth...pints for $10.00 CDN seems to be the going rate...

-tuckermtn

3% Solution
10-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Hi Pa,
Well I'm not actually building the steam-away, a sheet metal shop in Claremont is.
However, I have the pics and drawings for him to go by and may just help him with it. I bet the price goes up when I start helping!!!!!
About the RO thing, not really into them, too much money for what I have.
Parker, I hear you about the $$s, I've been saving since last spring, fire calls, teaching classes (in your town) and a few carpentry jobs.

I will let you guys know how things work out ........... good or bad.
But, anything gained is improvement!

Keep in touch.

Dave

ennismaple
10-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Ennis- yes I was referring to the Quebec co-op...sorry to lump all Canadian producers together...

yes, around here there is much talk of folks crossing the border to Washington and Idaho to buy stuff with the stronger CDN $$.

I hope to sell some of my syrup here in BC by word of mouth...pints for $10.00 CDN seems to be the going rate...

-tuckermtn

No offence taken - I just don't want to get painted with the same brush since the playing field is so uneven that we've got to differentiate ourselves with our quality and a name and face associated with the syrup instead of a faceless corporation.

$10 is the retail price on our pints (500mL).

802maple
10-03-2007, 05:27 AM
My understanding is that the Quebec surplus of syrup will be less than 7 million pounds by March which will be a good thing. That is about what Vermont will produce on a average season so in terms of that being a huge surplus it really isn't. That isn't like the surplus that they had a little over a decade ago that drove the price of Fancy syrup down to a 1.00 a pound and commercial around .60 per lb. I hate to say it but sowewhere out there lies a terrible season and having a little surplus helps keep the prices in check. I remember the 1987 -88 seasons were terrible and the prices of fancy were up to 3.00 per pound and even though that is a good looking price for us the consumer didn't like it anymore than we like the price of gas today. They found Vermont Maid to be a good substitute,we don't need that again. I had a friend in 1987 that didn't make one drop of syrup and he had 1800 tapped.

Maplepro
10-03-2007, 08:14 AM
I agree that having a surplus of syrup is a good thing sometimes but where I disagree is that the Quebec producers are literally forced to sell all their syrup that isn't sold at the farm gate to a Co-op I have had 3 friends in the last 5 years that have had to sell there sugar bushes because they can't make money anymore one of those friends was charged 150000.00 for selling 1200gals of commercial syrup to some people here in New Brunswick with out going through the coop to me that is not right. i believe in a free economy. I truly believe that there wouldn't be 7million pound of syrup in storage in a where house if producers we able to sell out side the coop in the early 90's we used to buy over 5000gals from quality producers and now I wouldn't take the syrup if they gave it to me once it has been mixed and pasteurized.

Mark-NH
10-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Hey 3%,

Please keep me posted on your steam away. I have the means to build one and would love to benefit from all your research and head scratching. Maybe I can come over and eyeball it when you get going?

fred
10-03-2007, 11:51 AM
what are you going to do when the state suceeds?pay extra taxes to ship in and out of the country of Verhamphire?

3% Solution
10-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Hi Mark-NH,
Yup not a problem, I will keep you posted.
Not a lot of research, just pics and measurements.
Come over anytime, (your about 8 minutes from here) hey I might need a hand getting it set up!
I talked to your means about 2 months ago, told him to go with a steam-away, I bet he can make in no time.
I'm going to be "Home Alone" Saturday maybe I should stop over.
Let me know!!

Dave

802maple
10-03-2007, 05:16 PM
I couldn't agree more with you maplepro, The Quebec sugarmakers should be able to sell their product wherever they want. I too have tasted the blended syrup from up north and it has a lot to be desired

ennismaple
10-03-2007, 09:24 PM
I couldn't agree more with you maplepro, The Quebec sugarmakers should be able to sell their product wherever they want. I too have tasted the blended syrup from up north and it has a lot to be desired

I've said it here before - it's like buying cheap wine in a box. It's still wine but you lose the individual characteristics that each sugar bush has that makes its syrup unique. A high end winery would never allow their grapes to be mixed with someone else's.

Sugarmaker
10-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Had a very very good conversation with AndyP and his wife Jan this week at the sugarhouse. Andy and I hit it off very well and Cheryl and Jan had a good visit also. Tried to talk Andy into looking for a bigger evaporator for those 300 + taps that he is handling on a flat pan. He's looking!

Headed to PA state show today. May bring back another roll of 30P if there are some good deals. Also need some of those CDL snap over fittings to complete my tree harness system.

Canned some very nice goldenrod honey last night. Tuesday I extracted 120 lbs of honey from about 5 med. supers. Bees are medicated and ready for fall. We should be past the swarming season now. I will go into winter with 7 strong colonies of bees.

Chris

danno
10-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Chris, if I can find that 3x10 or 3x12 I'm looking for, my 30x8 will be on the market. Don't know what size Andy may be looking for.

mapleman3
10-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Well this weekend Rick (syrupmaker) and his kin are coming here(driving now), looks like a trip to the corn maze, some geocaching, beer, movies on the big screen in the barn, beer(Red sox tonight on the 10 ft screen) Beer...
oh did I mention BEER??

Any traders in the area want to stop in this weekend give us a shout.. we will most likely trying out my new filter press this sunday in the sugarhouse and can up some syrup!!

my cell 413-246-2813, we will be out and about most of the day tomorrow but sunday looks good for sticking around.

413-246-2813 cell

Russell Lampron
10-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Jim the correct term for the beers is "boiling sodas". It can be used in a sentence like this. I had a few "boiling sodas" while I was firing the evaporator last night. Or like this. A shot of hot maple syrup chased with a "boiling soda" tastes really good. Have fun this weekend, I wish I could join you but I've got to get the wood in.

Russ

Mark-NH
10-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Dave,

Sorry I did not get your message until today, Saturday. I've been out of town. Anytime you need a hand just holler. We'll get together eventually. If you are roaming around Saturday, 10/20 stop by. It's wood cutting day and we should have quite a crew along with a few "boiling sodas".

andyp
10-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Well it has been another very busy week.The garden is in full production and we have been freezing and canning a lot. Hauled in more fire wood today.We should soon have enough for this maple season. Maple season is less than 4 months away and we still have a lot of work to do on the sugar house.
My wife and I took a day and went up to North East Pa. On the way home we stopped to visit Sugarmaker and Cheryl.Stayed longer than we planned, but we had a wonderful visit. So much to talk about, but not enough time.
Chris and Cheryl, thank you for your hospitality we enjoyed our visit very much. Hope we can do it again when we have more time.

Andyp

802maple
10-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Started putting out 10,000 feet of mainline for a sugarmaker in Middlebury on Wednesday, It is going up good, 4000 to go. It is the first time I have worked with Lappierre maple flex, I have to say that is good to work with.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Jerry,

I am right there with you on the mapleflex. It is great to work with and seems to last good so far. It and 30p is the best to work with that I have fooled with. I got 3 rolls of the translucent this year instead of the blue I had used in the past and I think I will like the translucent the best!

Sugarmaker
10-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Just got back from the PA state tour last night (Somerset PA) and have been busy catching up on things.
We had a great time. Seven Springs resort was huge and picturesque. We toured Shecklers, G&T (Popes) and Oak Lodge. Great time, Great food, Great friends and beautiful weather.
Brad from Leader recommends 30P for drops and laterals says it may stay cleaner inside than Memory Flex. He gave a good tubing demonstration at Oak Lodge. They have set up a new 4 x 10 6 foot MAX flue pan and conventional 4 foot pan on the front. Est is 200 GPH. Very nice set up. John and crew at Oak Lodge now have to add on to the sugarhouse!

This is a beautiful spot just off the turnpike at Donegal exit. Web page is oaklodgepa.com

Unloaded firewood for the house. Helped Eric cutting up his nice eight point that he got yesterday. Mowed the lawn, and canned 50 lb of goldenrod/clover mixed honey tonight.

Back to work to rest up tomorrow.;)

Regards,
Chris

802maple
10-08-2007, 01:44 AM
I don't know any thing about the 5/16 but the 1 1/4 inch that I am putting up is good to work with. It is a little tough to pull thru the woods but the wheeler pulls it just fine. Because of its sticky outside it doesn't pull well,but it stays in place on the wire.

Parker
10-08-2007, 04:56 AM
Got aonther 3 cords or so in the sugarhouse yesterday,,GAINING!!!,,glad to get the last of the split wood inside befor the rain,,have way more than enough wood to fill the rest of the shed,,just have to get the splitter going,,mabey next weekend,,think I am going to stack some of the excess split wood outside and cover,,,just does not dry in a pile, even when covered,,in my experiance,
I used the blue mapleflex in Hill,,I like in very much-good to woork with, does not stretch that much,and cheap,only complaint is it is a littel hard to see thru compared to 30-p, and it seems to pull apart easier than 30-p,,But it is much cheaper than 30-p,,,,,I used 30-p for my drops on rte.11 and most of them seem to have a slight leak at the T under vacuum,,dont know as I would use ridgid for drops agine if I had a choice,,,,

mapleack
10-08-2007, 08:43 AM
My family and I went to the PA maple tour at Seven Springs last Friday and Saturday, what a great time. We got a few good ideas on tubing installation, but saw that for the most part we're doing things right. Thanks to Leader Evap. for the roll of 30P we got as a door prize! Now I just need the time to put it and about 10 other rolls up in the woods! I highly reccommend checking out www.oaklodgepa.com, a stop on the maple tour, though the website doesn't have nearly enough content to convey the amazing things going on there. Yesterday we got up early and tore most of one end out of the sugar house. It had a sliding door on it, now it has an 8' by 8 overhead. Nice hot day for October! Now I need to get in a couple more cords of wood.

royalmaple
10-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Just finished my tour of duty, at the Fryeburg fair very early this morning. Long long days and too many of them my body is still trying to recover from the fair food and sounds. Peace and quiet at home.

Nice to see Parker and family and Keith & family as well. Picked up a few accounts as well for syrup sales.

brookledge
10-08-2007, 01:37 PM
As Matt said it was nice to see each other again as I made my annual pilgrimage to the Fryeburg fair. It takes me a good 4 hours to get there as there is no direct route for me to take.
Keith

TapME
10-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Nice to see you back and posting again. Those fairs can get you tired in an awful hurry and can get old quick with the noise, been there and still doing it. The nice side is all the people that come with families and have a wonderful time.

Parker
10-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Matt- good to see you at the fair- sorry we could not visit longer,,girls were on a tare!!! "Dad, the rides are this way!!!"
Pouring rain here today,,headed down to the sugarhouse this AM and took the grates-blocks-ash out of the firebox (pan allready off) kinda made a plan of attack for the forced air conversion,was planning on running 2 squirlcage blowers,,rain let up some so headed for the job,,,but,,,,wound up at Goodrichs,,(how did that happen?),,just so happens Glenn had a big Dayton pressure blower that he had on his evaporator befor he converted to oil fired,, same thing 802 maple was suggesting I put on my arch, very happy I made the trip,,,,mounting the blower will be an interesting task as it wont fit under the arch,,,but I have some ideas.......

802maple
10-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Parker-I wouldn't put the blower under your arch I would stick it outdoors for the 2 reasons on is that you won't have to listen to it and secondly the best air for combustion is out there. Cold air has more oxygen in it thus better more complete combustion

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Parker,

Ryan has the same on his evaporator arch that he designed. If you look at his web photos, he has photos showing the blower outside of the evaporator room and very nice ductwork running to the evaporator to cut down on the noise.

802maple
10-08-2007, 08:07 PM
More than half of the evaporators that I have built or designed have there blower outdoors. Just have to remember to put a screen over your air intake to keep out critters and fingers

mountainvan
10-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Just got back from Ohio. My mother had a heartattack and then fell and broke her neck. Not good, but she's doing much better. My wife took care of maple sales while I was gone and she sold almost everything. So I'm back to work tommorow. Today is cleaning the house and destressing.

danno
10-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Mountainvan - just awful news about your mother. Hope she is recovering well.

I can attest to the nuisance noice of a blower located under the arch. 802 or anybody else, if I run the fan through 25' of duct, will I lose airflow? Will I need to move to a larger fan. Right now, I run my fan on high and it's 24" from where it enters the arch, I would not want to lose much air flow.

802maple
10-10-2007, 03:27 AM
I typically on that long of travel up size my duct work with a minimal amount of corners. What size is your present outlet on your blower?

maple flats
10-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Based on my experience in furnaces, I would suggest you go a little larger on duct with very few if any angles and you should be fine. Sealing joints in the duct will help. The only way distance affects flow in a duct is friction loss and leakage. Clean the duct just before each season to get dust out (more friction)

mountainvan
10-11-2007, 01:12 PM
amazingly my mother went home yesterday. early last week she was kept alive by a machine and now she's home. I've been bottling syrup, 1 1/2 barrel and counting. got to have the christmas glass ready for this weekend.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-11-2007, 08:14 PM
If you are running a high pressure blower, I don't think you will loose that much air flow where you would on a regular blower.

802maple
10-12-2007, 06:41 AM
You are absolutely right that you don't lose as much, but I like to have to much instead having to deal with getting enough. It easy to deal with to much and not so easy to increase.

royalmaple
10-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Well I was talking to Waterloo Willy the other day and he's had enough. He said it was find him a girlfriend or he was leaving.

So I set out on a mission and found RamOna. Willy's right tickled pink. He can't make the ride tomorrow but he'll be there in spirit. 4am is coming early.

She's an old cougar on the hunt for some young blood so I think they'll work out well together. She might even teach him a thing or two.

I told willy last year that I would find him a partner. Lets hope they hit it off.

He's already telling me how much syrup he wants to make now.

maplwrks
10-16-2007, 04:16 AM
I hope you got him a French girl!!!

802maple
10-16-2007, 04:46 AM
Well Mike he did get Willy a "french girl" but she moved to the states before she was educated and she didn't take all of the classes that she should have. I think she is a good girl but you know how it is sometimes. I was talking with Willy last spring when I was up there and he said that he was willing to play the field right now until he found his soul mate. Being a outsider and forming my own opinion as I certainly do, is that I think Willy will use her for a few years and then dump her for a younger one that takes care of the house better. Willy we will be pulling for you and congratulations.

Mike
10-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Does anyone know a furnace man who can work on a evaporator ???? I need someone who can tune it up for me....In the Franklin VT area....Thanks....Mike

royalmaple
10-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Well RamOna is tucked in and sleeping like a baby although there was some giggling coming from the barn when I shut the lights off. So who knows what she and willy are getting into.

Nice to Visit with Scott Wheeler and his operation, and stopped in to see Jeff @ Maplecrest down the road. Nice to meet you in person Jeff and thanks for the mini tour and b.s. session.

Stopped at the governors favorite eating spot, and hit the chinese buffet.

Then concluded with a brief show and tell at Russ Lamprons. Nice day and glad to be off the road finally.

RamOna has a little french in her.

Pete33Vt
10-17-2007, 03:25 AM
Mike, You might want to try Larry Wescom from Bakersfield, Or maybe Kevin Bean (KB Plumbing and heating) Not sure if they would do it but they might. I know Larry messes around with alot of things and is a sugarmaker so he might have a better idea of what your looking for.

mountainvan
10-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Been in the woods the last two days removing tubing. Owners had a forester come in and tell them that tapping was loosing them lots of money in timber sales. Did'nt mention that the trees were already damaged and were not worth as much as saw logs. So they asked me take out the tubing. Luckily There are many more maples in my valley, so I'm just swapping it from one bush to the other. It's a pain in the arss, but lifes like that some times. I won't be down any taps from last year, and if I work my arss off I'll be up. What gets my nickers in a bunch is I talked to them a couple of weeks ago and they didn't say anything about logging. I was definitly blindsided by that one.

Parker
10-18-2007, 04:08 AM
Van- that stinks!!!!
Bought the contents of an old sugarhouse here in town,,cinder block arch and a tin 3x10,,kinda dark in there so I could not see what ealse,,BUT,,about 3-4 cords of 15 year old hemlock slabs :),,ohhh my,,how that will burn!!! brought the first load home last night,,gonna split a bunch of the wood outside on sunday,,will have more than I can get in the shed,,will try to get the rest stacked outside and covered,,,Thanks for the tip nhmaple48!!

super sappy
10-18-2007, 06:43 AM
I do not know the logging industry well but once the tree has been tapped for a few years, isint the damage done? So will leaving the existing taps and not tapping new ones be a solution???? I do not think that the log once tapped will turn into an A++ quality lumber. Good Luck Van with the new trees. SUPER SAPPY-PS -Parker -Any old NH tins in this Sugar House?

mountainvan
10-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Got the rest of the mainline out this morning after bottling early. Went up the hollow and measured trees to map out the bush and then started the mainline this afternoon. Followed an old road down the hill to property I had never been on, loaded with maples. I don't know the new owners yet but a neighbor does. Sometimes good things come out of adversity.

Pete33Vt
10-19-2007, 03:27 AM
Van, I can relate with you. We were in the process of resetting up a sugarbush last fall. The owners will let us tap there, but they had a logging crew come in and cut off about 80% of the maples. So now we need to rerun everything to pick up maples from the distant parts of the property. We only got our mainline up so far. But its giving us a chance to redo all the tubing we have had there for years.Good luck

Parker
10-19-2007, 05:09 AM
S.S. Ill keep you posted,,there was on tin on the bench form the 80's,,will look for something a littel older

Sugarmaker
10-19-2007, 07:31 PM
DRY!!
First 10 years of my life I wore rubber boots growing up in Beaver TWP Crawford Co. PA. Went hunting last weekend and there was NO standing water in the woods! Creeks were almost dry!

Most water we have had here was coming in through the basement block wall, from a leaking plastic pipe from the well. Got that fixed last night, just need to grade the dirt over the trench from the well to the house. We dug 3 feet down and 50 feet from the house to the well and there wasn't any dampness in the clay.

With that replaced, I can concentrate on what I do best eat, hunt, work bees, and make maple syrup (not necessarily in that order).;)

Muzzleloader hunting with friends tomorrow afternoon in the Albion and Jumbo woods area. Have seen several deer the last few times out with the smoke pole but they are many less deer in the area, compared to 10 years ago.

Regards,
Chris

Parker
10-20-2007, 05:09 AM
Got another load of the super old, wicked dry slabs home and stacked yesterday while waiting for the lowbed to move my equipment,,gonna wait on getting more of the slabs so I can stack a teir of the stuff we spilt on sunday-that way when I am firing I dont have 4 solid cords of real dry slabs (late in the season-getting towards the end of the woodshed) to burn thru-can mix it with wetter wood,,wondering if the beyond dry slabs will help dry the greener stuff next to it a littel,,,my woodshed has no sides on it so there is pretty good air circulation anyways

maplekid
10-20-2007, 04:58 PM
parker, what are you going to do with that 3x10.

Parker
10-21-2007, 04:12 AM
Sell it-I think I found an arch for the 3x10 pans,,,the rig must be picked up in Sailbury N.H. and the buyer must have cash- also have a 4X14 Leader vermont special,(tin flu pan, stainless syrup pan), need to get them both home and go over them (water test pans) to figure what Ill be asking for them,,,wont be very much for either,,hopeing to get enough out of them to buy a filterpress and a finisher,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,will also have some other things that were in both sugarhouses that I dont need for sale soon,,,,
Gotta get ready to split some wood now,,,,,,,wood-wood-wood-wood,,when I get my sugar wood done I can start on my house wood,,good thing I am a logger,,,,,,,,,,,:)
Talked to a fellow at my daughters soccor game yesterday that has seen me trucking wood out of that old sugarshack,,said the last time he remembers them boiling there was 1981,,,,so I am guessing that wood is 25 years old,,

maplekid
10-21-2007, 05:03 AM
wait wait wait you mean to tell me you have all them taps and you dont have a filter press? how do you filter your syrup?

Parker
10-21-2007, 05:42 AM
had to sell some stuff this spring to make some payments,,

3% Solution
10-21-2007, 07:46 AM
Good morning Parker,
Hey you had better tie some weight on that old wood, that stuffs going to be just like a feather and float right up the stack!!!
The "Logger" is going to be at the Claremont Opera House November 2 & 3 you should go, he's funny as hell!!!
Let us know what other goodys you find in that old sugarhouse.
My grandson volunteered me for a tour of our operation to 12 French exchange students on Tuesday!!!!!!!!
I told the girl in charge we aren't that big, but it didn't matter.
Maybe I'll boil some water, maybe dump in some syrup and draw off a couple of times, maybe just a slide show, that sounds better, less work!
Well filling the woodshed today, all 2.25 cords of it!!
Everyone stay safe!

Dave

mountainvan
10-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Had another banner weekend at the markets. One more weekend then I get to sleep in on the weekends again. Going back in the woods tomorrow to hang more tubing.I'll probably do like I did last week. Bottle syrup in the early morning and night, and work in the woods during the day.

Parker
10-22-2007, 04:41 AM
Got a bunch of wood split up,, funny,,around noon Brian ans Hale remembered a bunch of things they had to do and ran off,,I managed to go till 6:30,,I would guess we got about 6-8 cords split,,will know better when I stack it,,gonna go out and do a littel more now befor they come for the tractor,,,

3% Solution
10-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Good morning all,
I started putting wood in yesterday morning and the next I knew I had all kinds of help, got done within about 3 hours. Granson helped me stack and the rest of the family kept bringing it in.
Well let's see, wood is in, the steam-away is being built, I guess I'm almost ready.
French exchange students here for a tour tomorrow, may boil water for them.
Now, get the snowblower out, get that ready!!!
Parker, you got today off?? It's Monday you know!!!
Glad to see everyone is selling their product with ease, that makes it better for next spring.
Everyone stay safe!!

Dave

royalmaple
10-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Takin a break from the heat. Don't wish anymore rain yet. I still got a roof to finish up today. Shingles are sliding out from under my feet after I nail them. Really hot up there. Can't believe it is mid october and deer season starts (rifle anyway) saturday. Feels like July today.

One side of the mud room left and this cat is off the roof and probably going to set sail tonight.

Long weekend of roofing. Thanks for the help russ. Nice to have you stop by to lend a hand on saturday. You know you are in trouble when you have to get reinforcements from out of state.

ennismaple
10-22-2007, 01:51 PM
wait wait wait you mean to tell me you have all them taps and you dont have a filter press? how do you filter your syrup?

Maplekid: We've got twice as many taps and don't use a filter press. We asked some other local producers and they don't use one either. Our syrup goes through one flat paper filter on top of a cloth filter and comes out the other side sparkling. It depends on your bush. I know of some producers 30 miles south of us who can't get all the cloudiness out of their syrup no matter what they do. Some days we can get 30 gallons of syrup through the filter without having to change it. Late in the season it's harder but it can change day to day as well.

Russell Lampron
10-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Got to can up some more syrup. I sold out of everything larger than a pint and I don't have many of those left either.

I went to Matt Roys to do some bartering and helped him on a roofing job he is doing. Roofing isn't one of my favorite jobs but it was a nice afternoon and it was good to see Matt again.

While I was at Matts I had a chance to see RamOna standing upright in Matts barn. Willy is going to like her I'm sure.

Russ

royalmaple
10-22-2007, 06:23 PM
It's good to see her vertical.

3% Solution
10-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Hi all,
Well the tour with the French Students went very good, the wife made French Toast for them and they flocked around the table like bees around honey.
Didn't fire up for them as it got pretty windy and the dry leaves blowing around we didn't want to chance it.
Above all the wife and I had fun and I think they did too!

Dave

Revi
10-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Well I've been loading up on what I like to call "low hanging fruit". It's actually wood from the transfer station that has no paint or nails and isn't pressure treated for use in the evaporator. I've found cords of the stuff. Mostly balsam fir or locust. It should burn nicely next year. It is some nice weather to be out in the woodlot. I am getting ready for deer hunting season. It should be fun. I really don't care if I get a deer or not. It's just fun to have the time to do it. Maybe I'll get lucky this year...

Mark-NH
10-24-2007, 09:19 AM
We attacked the wood project Saturday. Started the day at 6:30 working under lights. We had 3 splitters on hand and about a dozen helpers drifting in and out through out the day. A pile of cut to length chucks had materialized over the summer right in front of the access to the woodshed so that was the first to go. Friends tend to drop their junk wood off all summer long.

It took us until noon to work that all up. Quick break for burgers and cheese dogs then on to the log load. We finished up at 2 PM. 9 (approx) cord cut split and stacked in the woodshed. Some of it was fairly wet so I have my fingers crossed that it will dry in time. There is good air flow with only 1 side being closed in so it should be ok.

I was really beat by the end of the day. Many people drift in and out but if it is your sugar house you are always there for the duration. I was reminded once again, how important it is to keep friends and family involved and make it fun for them so they want to help. If I did not have help for wood, tapping, boiling long hours and clean up I could not do it. Reality is, I have to work for a living and that has to come first.

Next project is to prepare both of our bushes for vacuum. One I have to extend the main line about 400' to the roadside and upgrade a couple fittings. It was brand new last year. The other, older installation will require checking all connections to make sure we get a tight system.

It won't be long now!

3% Solution
10-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Hi Mark,
Yup you that right about friends and family.
You can tell who the good friends are when it comes to helping you out.
Are you home this afternoon or are you working?

Dave

Fred Henderson
10-24-2007, 12:48 PM
I will be off line for a few days. My puter is getting an up garde. It is said that the new one will be into the future by 10 years.LOL. Hope to be back in 1 day or less.

Father & Son
10-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Have there been no posts today, or is my logon screwed up?

Jim

ennismaple
10-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi Mark,
Yup you that right about friends and family.
You can tell who the good friends are when it comes to helping you out.
Are you home this afternoon or are you working?

Dave

I don't know what we'd do without our "volunteer" help. I've got a friend who has helped tap the past 3 years for a couple gallons of syrup, food and beer. Last year we put in over 2200 taps in 2 days and he kept up to me the entire time. I've got an aunt who comes to the camp almost every night to help bottle and my Dad's cousin gathers for him every day - neither have ever been asked to help, they just do it because they enjoy themselves.

No matter how big or small any sugar bush is we'd be up the creek without the unpaid help!

fred
10-26-2007, 11:20 AM
there were no posts for two days

RileySugarbush
10-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Everybody is out splitting wood.....

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-26-2007, 01:33 PM
You are correct, I see no new posts. Been kinda slow for a couple of days.

Not much going on here. Bow season came in 2 weeks ago tommorrow but I haven't been yet and have put on 30+ miles scouting on foot up and down the sides of mountains the past 2+ weeks. Rut should start kicking in around the first of Nov and I only have 5 days of scheduled work from Nov 1st thru 25th. Gun season comes in week of Thanksgiving on Monday and I hope to get quite a few before dawn to after dark days before gun seasonin the treestand bowhunting. I would rather bow hunt than gun hunt, so I wouldn't mind if there wasn't a gun season. Doubt I can come close to the 3 big ones last year, but it would be nice to get one wallhanger. Lot of work walking 1.5 to 2 hours before daylight to get to the stand and about the same back to the car after dark, but worth it to get a chance at a big one.

Woodshed has been filled for several months. I have about 8 cords of mainly locust with some red oak also and about all of it has been dead and seasoned for several years, just needed to be cut, split and hauled in. Won't be long, season is less than 4 months away.

Good luck to all of you hunters! I am looking forward to the long days of just sitting 25 to 30 feet in the air and enjoying being out there with no disturbances!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-26-2007, 01:36 PM
and if they are not splitting wood, they are likely hunting!

Russell Lampron
10-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Some of us have been watching the Red Sox kick butt in the playoffs and enjoying what Tom Brady and the Patriots are doing too.

Russ

royalmaple
10-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Split wood all day today, shed is filling up nicely. It is only about 1/2 nutted currently. I got so much wood around here it is time to start taking care of some of it. My door yard is beginning to look like yours parker. Just not as big of a pile.

Took advantage of the nice day since we got rain on the program for tomorrow.

I was beginning to think the site was down too, since no activity for a while.

Getting cold here now. We had low 30's last night and upper 20's suppose to be lows next couple of nights.

802maple
10-26-2007, 07:05 PM
You better tap Matt or you might miss the season

royalmaple
10-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Already done. Got in 300 today, gonna get the pump running in a few and try out ramona tomorrow. SHould be a good run.

Speaking of running, I thought you were running out of town?

TapME
10-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Brandon, was coming home last night from work and had to stop in the middle of us rt.2 for two large does in the my lane. Nice, about 150 to 170. They scooted and I continued only to see a young spike and a 16 pt. later in the drive again in the center of the road. Made my day to see them so large and healthy. The big buck made the skipper look like a fawn. It wasn't hard to count the points he was only 20 ft in front of the truck and looking at me. Can't wait to put a bead on him on Monday.(most likely he will have moved on)

802maple
10-27-2007, 05:11 AM
Matt-It is good to see you are getting a early start on sugaring. I will be out of town starting tomorrow morning. I am sharpening sticks today to take out to Ohio so that I can knock off a few of their pipeline destroyers, hopefully something like the one TapMe saw. Then I will go back out with the old smoke stick at the end of the month and try to finish the job.

Parker
10-27-2007, 06:20 AM
Got established on a new logging job in Hill this week and that took some time,,But,,managed to get 6-7 more cords under the roof,,only room for about another 7 then it will be full (for the first time),,got some more stuff out of the old sugar shack here in town,,another 2 loads of dry slabwood,,been finding all kinds of stuff now that there is some light in there (wood pile gone),,,I am going to try to round up some help and get the pans (tin 3x12 grimm raised flue)home on sunday,found an arch(3X10 but needs to be rebuilt anyways) and a 200 gallon SS bulk tank yesterday afternoon,,havent done a thing on the airtight front pressure blower work on Marvin,,want to get the wood done first,,Was thinking about moving all that wood to the evaporator towards the end of the season,,long ways to the back of the shed,,rememberd helping a buddy move an evaporator years ago,,the rig came with a "canadian chucker",,,a littel cart on a set of tracks,,,dont think he ever used it,,was going to try to visit and see if it was availabel,,suposed I could make one,,just lay the rack as I dig thru the wood,,,need to get into the sugarwoods and start fixing lines,,,

Sugarmaker
10-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Canning some dark syrup today to stock the shelves.
Heading to Middlefield OH for tubing fittings to complete the roadside tubing network that I need to put up and take down each year. Hopefully these fittings will allow me to tighten the tubing easily and also be able to take it down quickly. More to follow on that about April next year.

Had a visit from a friend last night and he plans to get in to the maple syrup making in two years (after retirement). He has a 3 x 10 King that hasn't been used in years and may be looking for stainless pans.

Also two other friends that I work with are interested and I have pointed them to the trader.

Need a good way to mark trees each year for replacing tubing on the same slope. Any ideas? Can't be too bold since some are in folks' yards.

Regards,
Chris

Grade "A"
10-27-2007, 08:52 AM
To mark the trees you can use a small string (that wont rot) and put a tag with a number on the side away from the houses. I have also used green marking tape, it will not stick out too much in the summer but is easy to see when the leaves are off the trees.

royalmaple
10-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Chris-

How about some small little push pins. Pretty indescrete way.

tuckermtn
10-27-2007, 12:48 PM
got this note the other day about a timber sale in Roxbury NY (Anywhere near you Mountainvan?)

Timber Sale near Roxbury, New York
Timber Sale

* Sugar Maple 14"-16" - 78,595 b/f
* Sugar Maple 18"+ -100,607 b/f
* SM pallet - 27,666 b/f
* White Ash - 16,697 b/f
* Black Cherry - 664 b/f
* Red Maple - 3,231 b/f
* Total Volume: 227,460 b/f

As a logger I like timber sales...but as a maple producer, I generally don't like to see sugar maples anyway but on the stump and with taps in them...

-tuckermtn

Parker
10-27-2007, 01:39 PM
I got that in my e-mail also,,,that is one heck of a lot of rock maple,,wonder how many acres that is on? sounds like the kind of lot I plan on buying and managing-thinning for maple production once I win the meg-o-bucks,,,,,, :)

3% Solution
10-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Hi All,
Fired the new arch today, quite a difference in the boil rate, maybe pushing 20 gallons.
I can keep the flue pan cranking without trying, just a few peices of wood and it stays with a hard boil.
Now, with the steam-away that's being made I think we should be doing good.
We should be able to keep up no matter what the run is like (famous last words).
No you guys, no more taps, I've already been there with the grandson!!
Has been raining pretty hard here most of the day.
Hey Royal Maple you going to do some calculations for me on that 20 gallons, I usually estimate low, right!!!
Everyone stay dry and warm today.

Dave

andyp
10-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Chris
We used tree marking paint to mark some of ours last year. Hold the can close to the tree to make a small dot. Write number of dots on a piece of masking tape and tape it to the tubing. The paint comes in differant colors.

Andyp

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-27-2007, 06:17 PM
16 point buck, boy I would like to see him 20 yards from the base of my tree broadsides in about a week!!!! LOL! Either way, there are some big bucks in the area I hunt and I have seen pics in years past of one that had more than that and was probably pushing 180 to 200 inches gross nontypical. It is just a time to get away from everything and relax for a few days each year.

I will give it my best shot and see what happens!

mountainvan
10-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Yeah, Roxbury is about a half hour. Wondering if that's a former sugarbush that a local guy used to tap. I like seeing maples with taps in them also, mainly mine. Poured today at the market, still had a good day though. 15 gals to the granola com. helps the bottom line for the day. one more market tomorrow, then I stay in the mountains where I belong.

Sugarmaker
10-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys on the tree marking suggestions, All good ones!
Andy, What if you sprayed the dots right over the tubing to mark the tree and the tubing locations???

3%,
Nice to be doing some of your trials way prior to having a lot of sap ready. Sure would be a good night to have a fire felt like a spring night in syrup season, that raw cold damp wind. Hope the new steam away works well too.
Would love to try to build one just need to start getting stuff together.

Right now I have been thinking about tubing, and how to make that work easier for our operation and save time and labor gathering. Have most of the drops made for next year. Just need to do some trials on CDL blind tees, blind end rings, and slip over end fittings. Goal is for easy put up and take down and also some quick adjustments as needed while gathering to tighten any sags.

I did pick up some Isopropyl Alcohol for disinfecting the tap hole spout and end of season clean up. First time for this so it will be kind of trial and error.
Supposed to keep the tap hole open a little longer but also promote healing sooner after the spout is removed. Also will try to used as a simple line cleaner as I pull the spouts at the end of the season. Comments are welcome on this subject.

Mixed some syrups today dark A and B and came up with a very nice dark A blend syrup that I canned 7 gallons of, in 1/2 pints, pints, quarts and halves. I like the taste of this dark syrup about the best. Hope the customers do too!

Montianvan, your markets are working out well for you on sales!

Brandon, I know you will be way back in the remote areas of the woods. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing another trophy added to your collection. My oldest boy (Eric) got a small eight point several weeks ago and we have been enjoying homemade deer kielbasa and jerky!

Going to my Uncles farm tomorrow to drag out the remaining cast parts from a arch that he used 50 years ago. Most of is gone but may be able to make some type of a display in the sugarhouse with whats left and have another story to tell.

Regards,
Chris

royalmaple
10-27-2007, 09:20 PM
Dave-

If that is anything like the "20" gallons of K1 you had in the tank me and kevin hauled out from you house, that is some serious evaporation from your rig. I think you missed a decimal point somewhere on that calculation.

Then add on your steamaway and gee wiz your talking some serious evaporation, you might hit 25gph the way you measure it.

I almost stopped by your place the other week when I went to go pick up my mail order bride for willy. But I was running late and had to get home. plus figured you were out instructing.

andyp
10-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Chris
I don't know how the paint would work on the tubing being its not porous like the tree bark.

Andyp

Uncle Tucker
10-28-2007, 09:53 PM
I just finished filling my wood shed yesterday. I Found a great sorce of wood for the 1/2 piant. I install cabinets in new schools, and I get all the cuts from the gym flooring(Hard Maple). I ended up with 3 pickup loads full. It's all the right size and realy dry, all I have to do is cut it to length. I ended up with may be a cord, plus the other wood I haved scrounged up(2x4's and palets) I should have 2.25 cords, more than enough. Now I can clean the sugar house and finish all the loose ends.

tuckermtn
10-29-2007, 02:53 AM
In April Parker wrote that Papelbon was the man...and Papelbon still is...

Seems like a long time ago when we were boiling in the sugar house and listening to the Sox in Texas...

The little slice of Red Sox Nation here in BC was psyched to see the sweep...

best to all in Red Sox nation...

-tuckermtn

Parker
10-29-2007, 04:47 AM
Uncle tucker- went by your place yesterday-looks like you have added quit a few taps,,
Tuckermountian-looking forward to listing to them agine this spring! always a high point of the season to me when I can boil and listen to the sox pull off a win
Spent the day looking over a system that set up for gravity that had vacuum added to it last year,(without much luck),will be making improvements to it to try to increase sap production. butifil location. I do love working in the sugarwoods.

Jim Brown
10-29-2007, 05:52 AM
Good MorningTraders; I will be making a trip to NH on Nov8-9-10 to pick up a new RO. would love to meet and maybe do lunch or dinner with any traders in the Hillsborough area as time permits. Send me a PM maybe we can work out the details .

Jim

Uncle Tucker
10-29-2007, 06:02 AM
Parker
Next time by stop in. I was home all day yesterday watching the Pats Kill the skins, and the Sox sweep. I did add some taps in my neighbor’s woods. Last year I had 50 taps this year 178, and that’s all I want. NO I MEAN IT!!! No more. I have an arch on order from Leader, next week I am ordering a full hood from Patrick. Now all I need is pans, why are they so expensive? I know all the work and metal. Well if any Traders in the area stop in for a tore. 305 3753.

maplecrest
10-29-2007, 10:59 AM
Chris
I don't know how the paint would work on the tubing being its not porous like the tree bark.

Andyp

andy the paint will stick to the tube had a bush i had to rollup every year. painted trees and line same color. but never rolled back out the same, year after year.

mountainvan
10-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Went back in the woods today, after reinsulating the crawlspace with rigid insulation and unclogging the septic line yesterday. Boy was that fun! Not! I think I got lucky with this bush. Very large maples with hemlocks, also huge, on a steep slope. The higher I go up the mountain the steeper it gets and the bigger the maples are. I'm growing the whiskers on my chin long like a billy goat. Not sure how many taps I have up there now, I just know the 5-10 taps/lateral is not happening this year. Most have 15-20+, but maybe with the steepness of the hill, the vacuum, and big virgin maples it'll pour into the tanks next spring