PDA

View Full Version : Arch or Pan First?

CaptT820
02-11-2019, 08:25 AM
All-
I would like to buy the whole set up at once (arch and pan), but don't want to blow the budget I have. I want to go high end as I think I'll be doing this hobby for a long time and want the equipment to last.
The debate is, do I buy the arch and then make do with hotel pans or other inexpensive pan OR do I use my block arch for one more year and buy a nice divided or hybrid style pan?

I'm leaning towards the nice new divided/hybrid pan as it would allow me to finish the syrup in a more efficient manner, but then I'd have to build the block arch for it like I do every year (ton of work).
So what would everyone else do if you could only choose one, pan first, or arch first?

Thanks

barnbc76
02-11-2019, 12:41 PM
How big a pan/ arch are you planning, I would probably buy the pan first but that's just me.

Cjadamec
02-11-2019, 01:27 PM
I would say buy the pan first and the arch second.

But I would buy the pan knowing which arch it is you intend to buy. You don't want to get one only to find out its not going to fit the other one.

pdiamond
02-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Check out Smoky Lake Maple products. They have both pans and arches. How big you want to go in the future will depend on the size pan you are looking for. After a few years of experience, or lack of, go a little bigger than what you think you'll need. the addiction always seems to work that way. good luck

CaptT820
02-11-2019, 06:08 PM
Thanks guys for the responses. I am going to get a 2x4 size pan and/or arch. I have looked at Smoky Lake and love their stuff, so I am probably leaning in their direction. The 2x4 size is good for us since we can go from a divided pan at 8-12+ GPH all the way up to a full high performance hybrid pan at 40-45 GPH on the same arch. We only really NEED 8-12 GPH, but of course more is better and allows expansion. Decision yet to be made, but leaning towards the pan for now.

pdiamond
02-11-2019, 09:20 PM
You won't be disappointed. I have the 2x4 high ouput pan set and it screams.

CaptT820
02-12-2019, 07:52 AM
What kind of GPH on average are you getting out of the high output pan?

JohnsSugarShack
02-13-2019, 10:34 PM
The smoky lake evaporators look quit impressive, I just down sized from a 2x6 leader with patriot pans to a 2x4 mason with raised flues and am very pleased with the workmanship. If you can swing it I'd get the pan and arc together. Looking forward to this season. I don't think you can go wrong with smoky lake from what I've seen on youtube, amazing. I don't think you'll regret any decision you make. Happy sugaring

CaptT820
02-14-2019, 09:02 AM
I'd love to get the arch and pan together, but then we are talking ~$2800 versus only about $800 for the 2x4 divided pan with the feed pan included. Still haven't made up my mind on what to do. Decisions!

mol1jb
02-14-2019, 11:12 AM
A block arch is easy enough to put together till you have more funds next year. I personally think the pan will make more difference than the arch.

jbelany
02-14-2019, 10:12 PM
I run a Smoky Lake 2X5 Corsair with a 2X4 flat pan (about $2250) and can run 12 GPH all day long. I welded a 1X2 filler plate to cover the void for small batches, and bought a 1X2X20" preheater pan for the big batches. With the preheater (I think $200 more) i am running 16 GPH with the 2X4 flat pan.

JohnsSugarShack
02-15-2019, 12:25 AM
If money is really the case than I would go with the pan first, would definitely make a difference for this season.

CaptT820
02-15-2019, 10:48 AM
Unfortunately, money is always the issue. It looks like it is going to be a Smoky Lake 2x4 divide pan, as it is significantly cheaper than the hybrid pan. I honestly dont really need the hybrid pan at 20 GPH for the amount of sap that I get.

Woody77
02-15-2019, 08:38 PM
I have the SL 2x6 raised flue ssr system now. I bought the back pan off Craig's list and used it on my barrel arch for one season it was a bit of a pain but it was a huge improvement and it was all I could spend that year. Last spring I built the arch and bought the rest of the pan set.
I get a solid 50 gph on it a big jump from the 12-15 I used to. Witch brings me to the next point. Buy the best pan you can afford the shorter days cooking are worth it and you will definitely grow over time. P.s. I wont buy anywhere else jim builds the best stuff in the industry period.

CaptT820
02-18-2019, 10:22 AM
Well I finally pulled the trigger and got a SL 2x4 divided pan with feed pan. I'll just build the block arch again, and then go all in next year with a new arch. Can't wait for the new pan to show up.

pdiamond
02-18-2019, 12:13 PM
You won't be disappointed with that pan and set-up.