PDA

View Full Version : Fire bricking tips for a block arch

jimmol
02-11-2019, 07:35 AM
With the arrival of a new divided pan this winter, I worked on upgrading my block arch, as best can be done when the temp is below freezing, by adding insulation and a simple grate to raise the fire - I will be putting firebrick along the side and turning the grate.

I would like to add some firebrick to protect the insulation. However, I will either be rebuilding the block arch this summer or may move up to a homemade steel arch - the bricking will be temporary.

The side size is such that 3 fire bricks, standing on end will cover most of it. If I add two bricks on their side, it will just about reach the top. The back of the box is just over 3 bricks wide and the area not covered would be overlapped by the side bricks.

Since it is below freezing, I cannot cement them in place.

I started putting together the sides and back, using Red Devil Furnace Cement and Fireplace Mortar, but realized, I don't know if that is the right thing to use.
The goal was to cement the sides and back in the house and put the 3 part in in the firebox? The sides would hold the back in place and, I am not sure how to hold the sides in place - maybe a firebrick cemented to the horizontal solid concrete block would hold them or I could "wedge" them between the back and solid concrete block at the front?

I am at a loss at what to do.

Thanks for your input.

The solid block at the bottom is the front limit of the firebox.

Sugarmaker
02-11-2019, 08:20 AM
Your thread reminds me of my current unrelated project to remodel a bathroom. I was up half the night worrying about my lack of drywall/ plastering experience.
Now back to maple: I can tell you for sure that if you have sap in the pans and fire under it you will make syrup! May not be as fast as the big guys but you will get there! Like me and the drywall your way over thinking it. And from your picture your doing just fine!
Go get the trees tapped and the rest will have to happen! My guess is that you will change it again next season too. Good luck. More pictures too!

BTW I assume you have another grate too?
Regards,
Chris

whity
02-11-2019, 02:51 PM
If your unsure of what you want for and arch/blocker ch next year. Why not line the inside with hardi backer cement board? Or some durock tile backer? It would be far cheaper if your not sure about the next investment of an arch or rebuilding the block arch. In my opinion.

jimmol
02-11-2019, 08:28 PM
If your unsure of what you want for and arch/blocker ch next year. Why not line the inside with hardi backer cement board? Or some durock tile backer? It would be far cheaper if your not sure about the next investment of an arch or rebuilding the block arch. In my opinion.

I have used durock around my fireplace insert and found that it is cracking near the high temp areas of my stove. I cannot see it standing up to prolonged fire exposure. For a couple of months it might have worked. Thanks for suggesting it. But I already have the bricks...

jimmol
02-11-2019, 08:40 PM
When I got home today, the bricks were sticking to each other and ready to be put in the arch. Pictures below. Think less, do more...

Now on to my sheet metal door.

pdiamond
02-11-2019, 09:32 PM
very nice looking. good luck this year

jimmol
02-27-2019, 05:38 AM
With the temps staying below freezing I was able to do some more work on the inside. I will post as soon as I can get pictures. Stay tuned.

Axle54
02-27-2019, 05:51 AM
Fellow block archer here. That looks excellent. Remember dont aim for perfection in all the joints and block alignment. Because when alll that mass heats up your frozen ground she will settle a little. I keep a rubber mallet handy to reailign any blocks that move in the process. You might be better to dry lay the fire brick becuase the joints are sure to move. Ive had sucess using old red brick loose stacked in place of fire brick.

Good luck it will do fine.

jimmol
02-28-2019, 06:55 PM
Here are the latest picts on my block arch.

Firebrick in place.
The firebrick is temporary as I will remove it to rebuild the block arch or move it to a steel arch. I am using Ceramic Blanket around the top to seal and lift the pan so I can add a float. The pan sits 1/2" on each side of the firebox.

Ash Pan
19554 The Ash Pan which is raised a bit from the bottom by a patio block. It is made from sheet metal bent up in back and and up and forward in front, no sides. Can slide it out.
If you look at the top when the cross block meets the side block you see the 3/8 L steel which I used to raise the front end up. Over the years the two 2 ft square patio blocks the arch rests on have settled in the sand they were laid on so the back is about 3/8 to 1/2 inch higher than the front. The left side was a bit lower than the right and had to be leveled. With all the gaps from leveling, it may get air from all sides, save the insulation will stop that.

"Door"
The "doors" are sheet metal bent in a U shape. The firebox doors have Rockwool insulation. The lower doors are two in number so I can move one out to let more air out. The handles of the firebox are insulated between the handle and door by ceramic blanket. Will be interesting to see if they get hot.
The ceramic blanket on the left side was inserted to increase the width from the block size of 15 3/4 to 16 3/4 wide. This way the pan has more exposure to the fire. Will see if it seals any air leaks.

Pan on top. With the thickness of the block I had to extend the draw off to get to the filter and pan I will be using beside the arch.

When I get everything hooked up for the test boil I will post a few more.

Axle54
02-28-2019, 07:15 PM
Thats the most insulated block arch I've seen. Will boil great and be efficient most likely. Very nice. Great work

danfredw
03-29-2019, 10:54 PM
Could you post a picture of your chimney too?

How have the sheet metal doors worked? When they're closed, how is the fire getting air? Or are you finding that it can idle enough with the doors closed every so often because there's enough heat still to keep the boil going?

Just curious. Thinking of how I can upgrade my block arch this summer. I went from a block arch with no real chimney to a bigger one with a chimney this year, but it's all cinder block and no fire brick. I know it can crack and I'm losing tons of heat but it's lasted so far.

tpathoulas
03-30-2019, 03:12 PM
I have a homemade evaporater that I purchased a few years ago. It is 4'x4'x12" deep. Holds about 100 gallons if I was to fill it up. When bought the pan sat inside the firebox but I found this burned the syrup on the sides, so we lifted it up and fixed it to sit on the top of the firebox. I feel I am losing heat by having the 12" sides exposed. Could I use ceramic blanket to surround the tank and maintain my heat a little better? Would it be worth it? Would I have to enclose the ceramic blanket with something?
Thanks