PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used a Precision Tapper

sebastian
02-10-2019, 06:31 PM
Has anyone used a Precision Tapper How well does it work ? What drills can it fit on ?

VT_K9
02-10-2019, 07:22 PM
We bought one last year. Certain people (me too) in our family have broken those expensive bits (a couple a year in some cases). We thought the precision taper may cut down on bit breakage. Not only the cost of the bit, but you now have a unusable hole, and a bit in the tree. In our case we bought it as complete unit. The drill itself was an upgrade from our current drill selection so it drills faster and the battery lasts longer.

The other claim to fame is the ability to keep the bit straight and not have an elongated hole. We changed out a section of mainline with loose fitting saddles (we use the spin seal) and used the precision taper. Last year we maintained the highest vacuum we have had since going to vacuum.

Like the spin seal, it carries a price. I would not buy a conversion kit, rather a complete unit and use the batteries in my other tools. I think it is worth the expense.

Mike

Sugarmaker
02-11-2019, 07:56 AM
I know what your asking and I will post my typical smart A** answer!
I use one, its my eyes and good sharp cordless hammer drill and steady hand! There are some places That I tap where one of those fancy tappers would never work. Like a spile next to a piece of sugar maple bark plate that is as deep as the spout!
Real answer is No! I have not tried one. Might work on young smooth bark trees.
The thought process is good but I bet you can still screw up a tap hole with one??
Regards,
Chris

Asa Matras
02-13-2019, 07:51 PM
Haven't used one to be honest, but its a boatload of $ for something that with a little practice u can be as good or better at drilling precise holes. No offence to those who are sold on em' but who wants to drag around a huge bulky thing that when the rubber meets the road might be able to be used on half your trees. I know im opinionated:) but I would spend $750 on something else.

Chickenman
02-13-2019, 07:54 PM
I agree. buy a 2x4 and practice drilling if you have to.

Asa Matras
02-13-2019, 07:57 PM
I agree. buy a 2x4 and practice drilling if you have to.Haha good thought :lol:

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-14-2019, 06:01 AM
The large operation we work for had one but he traded back in after no one used it. It is very bulky and heavy, 2 things you don't want while trudging through the woods. Milwaukee drills all the way for us........you can get refurbished ones for $100 online.

huskyxp
02-14-2019, 07:26 AM
This is my third season with one. My girlfriend bought it for my birthday or else I probably wouldn't have one. I have it mounted on a Milwaukee drill and it works awesome, I wouldn't drill a hole without it. I have it set at an inch and a half when pushed to the line on the tapper and on those thicker barked trees there's room to push it another quarter inch before it bottoms out. Downside to them is its one more thing you have to maintain, make sure you keep the slides clean and lubricated.