PDA

View Full Version : Connecting 3/16" tubing and fittings without tools

MDR Maple
02-10-2019, 01:53 PM
I've been connecting 3/16" tubing, tees and spouts manually and it's been very hard to get the tubing completely home, especially in the cold temperatures we've had. I start by dipping the tubing in a thermos of boiling water to soften it and get it wet as a lubricant, but it still does not always get home.

I've been wondering about other methods, or if it is at all common for a producer to rent a tool. I'd only need it for the afternoon.

Thegreg20
02-10-2019, 02:30 PM
I start by setting all my spouts and attacking to a tee inside where the boiling water doesn't cool down as quick. Without a tool it's a pain outside but my trees are close enough where the water stays hot when outside. The other method aka poor man's tool is to gnaw on the end of the line although not sanitary, works

Cjadamec
02-10-2019, 02:57 PM
I too make all of my drops ( spout and tee connected with tubing) inside with warm water sitting comfortably in a chair.

As for outside I'm still using hot water but I was able to find a very well insulated coffee mug that has a flip open spout. The spout is the perfect size to just slip the 3/16 tubing into the hole. This helps keep the hot water hotter longer. Another trick is to only heat about an inch of the tubing. The longer up the tubing you get soft and squishy the harder it is to push the tubing on the fitting. Along the same lines grab the tubing right at the end with only about half an inch out beyond your fingers. This helps to get the tubing onto the fitting.

If you are handy and know how to weld the material to make a tubing tool costs about 30 bucks. Harbor freight sells locking pliers for about 6 bucks a pair.

MDR Maple
02-10-2019, 04:56 PM
I did make all my drops and spouts inside last year and it was easier. I'll be replacing my spouts an was planning to just cut them off in the bush and have to use the thermos and manual method to install the new spouts as I'm tapping.

I don't weld so, making a tool is out. The last few I did late this afternoon went a little more smoothly, by holding them in the hot water longer and using some of the suggestions provided.

Thanks for replying.

minehart gap
02-10-2019, 06:03 PM
psparr, one of the people on this site builds two handed tools and sells them for a reasonable price. Believe me when I tell you that a tubing tool is a game changer and this maple addiction is a lot more fun with a tubing tool.

buckeye gold
02-10-2019, 11:36 PM
psparr, one of the people on this site builds two handed tools and sells them for a reasonable price. Believe me when I tell you that a tubing tool is a game changer and this maple addiction is a lot more fun with a tubing tool.

Preach it brother. I had a welder friend help me make a two handed tool this year and life is so much better using it. I can actually go to the woods and return to the house with my sanity and the pets and wife are safe from the mad man. It is especially great for making those repairs on lines under tension.