PDA

View Full Version : number of taps

PATheron
09-30-2007, 03:57 AM
Yesterday I started running the lats. When I run the lats the length they need to be I am consistantly coming up with about 10 taps per lat. My ultimate goal is to maximize the benefits of vacuum on my woods. The book says 5-7 10 max. Do I figure that 10 as a norm is acceptable or do I go back to each lat and run a new line to pick up the first 3 taps on each lat. Is it worth using a second saddle and the line or in the real world is 10 fine. The length of the lat lines is acceptable by the books standards. What would you guys do? Theron

Sugarmaker
09-30-2007, 07:40 AM
PATheron,
Wish I could help but vacuum is not a option for me at this time. Took a look at your pictures and see you are very serious about this. Seems to me the books are guide lines and some factors such as the amount of slope you have could be a factor in the number of taps per laterals too???
You have a nice set up with the tanks at one location and looks like you have good slope to your sugar bush. Sounds like the 10 tap per lateral might work just fine for you?
I will be moving to mostly tubing for 2008 but all road side trees non vacuum and will have about 16 taps per line on gravity.

Regards,
Chris

brookledge
09-30-2007, 08:25 AM
I wouldn't worry too much. It's just a target to shoot for. However I wouldn't have every lateral at 10.
Like I suggested to many before, you can always do a test at the end of the lateral with a vacuum gauge adapted to a rubber hose that will slide over a tap when you pull it. As far as I'm concered that is the best way to see if every part of your bush is getting good sap transfer.
Keith

PATheron
09-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Brookledge and sugarmaker- What ill do is run the line and make an effort to keep the taps around 7 but if 10 mean saving a lot of tube ill do it and then when the pump is installed ill check it like brookledge is saying and if i have to modify then itll be no big deal, thanks Theron

maplekid
09-30-2007, 08:18 PM
theron, i noticed in your pics that you have or had a evaporator that is made out of a oil tank and was wandering do you still have and if you do would you sell it

PATheron
10-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Maple kid- I sent you a message about the evap. Thanks Theron

danno
10-01-2007, 08:17 PM
PAtheron -

Truly excellent pictures - looks like you're taking this syrup making seriously. New evap, sugarshack, tubing and vacuum all in the same season - you've been busy.

What size is the evap? How many taps?

I had no problem running my lines with 10 taps per line, but my whole set up is only 300 taps (more for 2008:)) Last season I was running 18-19" of vacuum at pump and 18-19" at the end of my lateral lines a mile from the pump (1" mainline is about a mile, into 2 500' 3/4" mainlines, into a bunch of 75-100' laterals).

Because I had a long main line, I was worried about losing vacuum and was thinking of adding a dry line. I'm glad I did not because it turned out that I don't lose any vacuum between pump and taps.

PATheron
10-01-2007, 08:39 PM
danno- Thanks for the compliments, I started planning this last year but didnt really start untill this spring. The evap is a 3 by 10, the shed is 32 by 20. Im putting out 1000 taps and right now im concentrating on trying to do the best job i can on the tubing system. Im happy that yours worked that good becouse mine is very similar, not near as far but all 1 inch after short section of inch and a quarter. Ill tell you how it works come april. Im having a lot of fun. One things for certain if I dont have any sap to boil its not for lack of trying. Theron

Mike
10-02-2007, 09:08 AM
One of the top producers up here says when you run your lats try to make them as straight as you can....He says you get more sap this way then when you weave back and fourth....

maplecrest
11-09-2007, 09:07 AM
short and sweet