PDA

View Full Version : First cleaning of evaporator suggestions

Maple River Sugar
02-10-2019, 11:46 AM
This will be the first time all of my equipment will be used in making maple syrup. My concern is that I remove all possible contaminates from the evaporator, float boxes, etc.. What methods would be the best to use? I was going to use a light amount of dish soap and water and then boil with a vinegar solution and rinse. Thanks

Sugarmaker
02-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Personally I would not use any dish soap. But if you do just rinse it real good. Your method sounds good.
Have a great season!
Regards,
Chris

maineboiler
02-10-2019, 05:30 PM
Never soap. Boil with dilute vinegar/water solution, let it set for awhile and a thorough rinse with water

Zucker Lager
02-11-2019, 10:43 AM
I've been using this for some time now it works great cleans way better than ordinary dish soap will and doesn't leave "any" odor, taste, or residue.
Powdered Brewery Wash. PBW by Five Star.

http://www.brewinternational.com/cleaner-pbw-1-lb/?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm_3k84604AIVg7XACh0zDwRPEAQYByAB EgKdDfD_BwE

johnallin
02-11-2019, 11:41 AM
If it's the first cleaning since fabrication, a good boil with water and then soak with some baking soda to neutralize any acids, followed by another all water boil and rinse.

Maple River Sugar
02-11-2019, 02:40 PM
YES it is the first boil since fabrication.

raptorfan85
02-11-2019, 04:57 PM
I would just do a quick boil with some baking soda and call it good... When I bought mine I was told the cleaning wasn't absolutely necessary but I did a baking soda boil just to be safe.

maple flats
02-11-2019, 07:08 PM
When mine was new I just boiled plain potable water, maybe 2 hrs, then drained it, added 1 gal white vinegar, warmed it from underneath using a weed burner torch just to tepid, drained it after cooling, then rinsed it with good potable water 3x.