PDA

View Full Version : Vent thru cupola or right behind it?

Eberzin
02-09-2019, 08:41 AM
Hi,
I am designing a new 12x16 sugarhouse. I will be putting a 2x4 pan underneath a 3x5 cupola, maybe off to the side a bit so the pipe can come out on the side of the ridge vent.
I would like to keep my pipe straight. Is it ok to vent it through the cupola ridge vent? Should I offset it back wards and come up behind the cupola? I have also seen pictures of pipe coming out dead center of the ridge vent but I believe that would not be good for structural reasons. Any ideas or picture would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

maple flats
02-09-2019, 08:48 AM
Which vent are you talking, steam or smoke?
If smoke, it should not go into the cupola, if steam (with a hood) it can vent thru the cupola, in the cupola or beside the cupola.
As far as going thru the ridge I guess it depends on your construction. My smoke stack goes thru the ridge, I have trusses and thus no ridge pole. Even if you have a ridge pole you can frame around it just like any other opening would be framed.

BSD
02-09-2019, 08:53 AM
I have mine off-set to keep a bigger work area in the shack. and ran the stack right through the rafters. i used an ellipse template to cut the hole to match the pitch.

Eberzin
02-09-2019, 09:32 AM
It is the smoke stack. Off to the side and behind the cupola a bit seems to be a good idea. Do you get a lot of dripping on the sides of the cupola down into the shack?

BSD
02-09-2019, 12:33 PM
It is the smoke stack. Off to the side and behind the cupola a bit seems to be a good idea. Do you get a lot of dripping on the sides of the cupola down into the shack?
mine comes out behind the cupola (front to back on the shack). i do still have to add a roof jack, but i sealed some flashing down around the hole in the metal roof to keep run-off water shedding around the stack pipe.

johnallin
02-09-2019, 04:47 PM
Mine goes out through the ridge. We're timber frame so there is no ridge pole here either.

To stay clear of the cupola, and clear one of the rafters, I did have an offset made by Leader. They did a nice job and it worked out great.

The roof jack for the ridge in my opinion, is the way to go as it's "self flashing" ...it just sits right over the hole.

Russell Lampron
02-09-2019, 05:49 PM
My evaporator is centered in my sugar house and the stack goes straight up through the ridge. I do have a ridge board and just cut out the section where the stack goes up through. I cut the ridge board in the cupola too. The purlins hold the rafters in place and I'm sure that the metal roofing also helps. My building is almost 20 years old now and is as true as it was when I built it.