PDA

View Full Version : Best method of bulk packing - mini containers

BSD
02-08-2019, 07:55 PM
I'm a small producer and last year i packed into the 20L blue totes from bascom. unfortunately i didn't keep them cool/frozen and seem to have lost a fair amount to spoilage over the course of the year. they were all hot packed at 180+. I dipped one tote and it's no good at the bottom. I have yet to go through the rest of them. I saw some from later in the season last year are still "sucked in". i'm hoping that's a good sign?

I'm trying to decide what i want to pack into this year. as i don't want to waste any more time or syrup going forward. my average boil produces 5-7 gallons of syrup usually. 15 Gal barrels seem to be too big. for now i ordered a few 5 gal epoxy cans to get started but not sure if that's the route i want to take.

Drew Pond Maple
02-08-2019, 08:38 PM
Are you using a bung wrench? Maybe the bungs aren't sealing? My first year using 5 gallon blue containers I tried using channel locks to tighten the bung, but didn't think it was tight enough. I got the right bung wrench and have since opened jugs that are 2 years old with no spoilage

BSD
02-08-2019, 09:02 PM
Are you using a bung wrench? Maybe the bungs aren't sealing? My first year using 5 gallon blue containers I tried using channel locks to tighten the bung, but didn't think it was tight enough. I got the right bung wrench and have since opened jugs that are 2 years old with no spoilagedo you store cool? mine were in the shack all summer and fear they might be cooked. (we got side tracked with a tornado this year and didn't get to process/sell much)

Drew Pond Maple
02-08-2019, 09:16 PM
All were stored in my cellar so fairly cool and stable temps. I had 2 that were two years old and no issues. I will say that my sugar house gets real warm in the summer months. Maybe it just got too hot in your sugar shack, or fluctuating temps caused some to spoil.

Drew Pond Maple
02-08-2019, 09:33 PM
I don't know if it makes a difference, but one thing I do is tip the jugs on there side after I cap them to sterilize the cap like with smaller containers.

maple flats
02-09-2019, 09:38 AM
A couple of things, pack the jugs at 185, 190 is even safer, get the right wrench to tighten the caps, make sure the seal in the cap is not damaged before you use it and then tip the container on it's side for at least a minute as soon as the jugs is filled. Then you should be fine. The problem is not likely the jug but rather those other factors. If the syrup was at the correct density it will store without spoilage. Even 2-3 or 4 years should not be a problem.

Ed R
02-09-2019, 11:37 AM
I wish I knew how to post a link, but last year we put all our remaining bulk syrup in 2 and a half gallon containers from sugarbush supplies item 61-2500 from page 40 of their online catalog. They come in a boxed two pack for 7.40. In the box you can move them as five gallons or singlely as 2 and a half gallons. They are squared up nicely in the box so they store well. We didn't have any issues with spoilage. Easy to handle when it came time to recan. Don't know how much shipping would be, or if you could find a closer local source. Didn't see them in Bascom's catalog.

BSD
02-09-2019, 12:38 PM
A couple of things, pack the jugs at 185, 190 is even safer, get the right wrench to tighten the caps, make sure the seal in the cap is not damaged before you use it and then tip the container on it's side for at least a minute as soon as the jugs is filled. Then you should be fine. The problem is not likely the jug but rather those other factors. If the syrup was at the correct density it will store without spoilage. Even 2-3 or 4 years should not be a problem.I know i tipped most (if not all) of them. I'm going to have to open another one up and sample. I did only put those caps on by hand, I snug them up so they don't leak obviously but how tight is tight? at some point you'll start displacing the seals. I was talking to a leader dealer who planted this short shelf life bug in my ear about those blue totes.

SeanD
02-09-2019, 01:00 PM
I do what you do with the blue 5 gal jugs from Bascom's. I have to agree with Dave. The trouble is in one of those details not the whole process. There are two other trouble spots to watch. One is the head space. Fill right to the opening to limit air space. Those containers hold closer to 6 gallons.

The other is the little cap to prevent glugging. If they are new and you don't cut into that knockout then it's a non-issue. I do cut those out (to prevent too much glugging) and sometimes those little caps don't seat well. If I don't like the feel of one of those caps, I'll lay a piece of plastic wrap between the opening and the cap.

But to be totally safe, the questionable jugs go into the chest freezer and those get bottled first in the season.

You'll figure it out. My bet is on the temp and seal.

3% Solution
02-09-2019, 04:14 PM
We use the blue containers the same as you do.
As someone said earlier ….. they will hold almost 6 gallons
Fill them right to the bottom of the cap and when you put the cap on the syrup will come up against the cap
Tighten down good ….
I store in the back part of my shed and have not had any issues with a lot of mold ..
Remember, sometimes you may get a bit of mold ……
Hope this helps ..

maple flats
02-09-2019, 05:53 PM
I have only used the blue or others like it in 5 or 6 gal jugs a few times, but if you tighten them when hot (soon after filling with 185-190F syrup) then tighten and turn them on their side for at least 30 seconds they will do well, as long as the jug was clean to start. I never even used a wrench to tighten, but often needed one to loosen the caps when opening.

Ghs57
04-06-2019, 08:30 AM
I've a question on bulk packing. I usually bottle everything, but I still have inventory from last year, so I thought I'd store half this year. Those blue 20L containers would work pretty well for me. What's the procedure for filling? The whole container in one shot of filtered 180+ syrup, I assume. How about emptying it? Bottle the whole 20L at once? I would be storing these at about a constant 65-70 degrees in my basement. Right now my unfiltered syrup is in 5 gal food grade buckets. Does anyone store long term in these? I find the lids are a pain to work with, so I've not tried that for fear of a leaky seal.

Sugarmaker
04-06-2019, 11:06 AM
I freeze all of my "bulk to me" syrup in 2.5 gallon containers. Yea I am a whip and donet want to lift those 5 gallon jugs!:)
Regards,
Chris

Ghs57
04-06-2019, 11:21 AM
They are heavy. I don't have any freezer space, so I need something that will work at room temperature.

maple flats
04-06-2019, 06:45 PM
Do you have a basement that is cooler? While they might do well at 70-75 or even warmer, storing them cooler does help.
When you say you had problems with some, exactly what did they do? Was it mold? If yes, that is either the packing temperature, the density a little light, the jug was not clean to start, you did not turn them for at least 30 seconds or the caps were loose. My two main suggestions are heat to 185-190, if you go to just 180 and your thermometer is off 2-3 degrees, you might have only packed at 176-177, might not be good enough. Then tighten the cap as soon as it is filled, tight, then turn the jug on it's side.
When I fill a bulk container, I actually put a piece of wood, either fire wood or a 2x4 under the side where the fill bung is, then I fill it all of the way to the bottom of the threads (I use an overflow device, where the jug or barrel fills and when totally full, the excess flows out an overflow tube/hose and into another container and I actually run 2-3 gal into that, so all of the air is out and I'm sure the container is full. I do that on SS barrels mostly, but also if I fill a 5 or 6 gal jug. On those jugs, I used to use a pair of 16" water pump pliers. A few years ago I bought the proper wrench for those 5 or 6 gal jugs and if I ever pack one I use it, but I never had an issue with the large water pump groove joint pliers.
Are you washing the jugs just before packing? If yes, maybe you still have some water in them that would end up at the cap and that could spoil.

markct
04-07-2019, 09:17 PM
I do trust the blue 5 jugs either, use stainless 15 gallons, 7 or 5 gallon kegs now, only time I use plastic is for bakeries and such and I fill them hot a few days before. My biggest fear is one molding and the customer opening it