PDA

View Full Version : Strong run

matt151617
02-04-2019, 06:46 PM
Just moved to central Jersey this fall (Somerville). I have one 12" maple and one 28" maple in my yard. Tapped yesterday, 1 in the small tree, 2 in the big, had a small run on both trees. Checked my taps this afternoon and I had 1/2 gallon from the small tree and 4 gallons from the big. Wow! Is that normal for early February?

5050racing
02-06-2019, 08:47 AM
Sure is normal especially after that hard freeze then the big warm up,good luck you'll have lots of fun with this new addition!

spud
02-07-2019, 05:12 AM
Just moved to central Jersey this fall (Somerville). I have one 12" maple and one 28" maple in my yard. Tapped yesterday, 1 in the small tree, 2 in the big, had a small run on both trees. Checked my taps this afternoon and I had 1/2 gallon from the small tree and 4 gallons from the big. Wow! Is that normal for early February?

Your making money now. You should put the sap in milk jugs and put them in your freezer for a few hours. The sugar will separate from the water. Then just throw the ice out. You have to watch it close though because everything will freeze in time. You can save up your higher concentrate for a weekend boil.

Spud