PDA

View Full Version : gallons for 3X10

ryan marquette
09-26-2007, 08:09 PM
How many gallons sap would be needed to fill the pans on a 3x10[older 3x7.5grimm raised flue3x3 sap]before start up? What would be the minimum number of taps? I can't boil every day.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Ryan,

I think a 3x10 would be good for you with 200 taps and not being able to boil every day. Just stock, you can probably get around 80 to 90 gph, so if you only boil a couple of times a week, it would work out good.

I would guess somewhere around 50 gallon of sap, maybe 60 to fill it up to 1 inch or a little higher. I don't boil every day and sometimes only once or twice a week. I would like to have a 3x10 to crank it off faster.

ryan marquette
09-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Brandon,
Thanks for the help. I found some used 3x10 pans but I'm not sure about them being too big. What do you think about soldered stainless pans? What should you run for depth on a raised flue pan?

maple flats
09-26-2007, 09:18 PM
You will have 2 float boxes and should run the sap about 1.25" deep until you get aquainted with the rig, then go to about 1" and get more experience. If you get real comfortable with an inch you could go as little as 3/4". These are all measures above the top of the raised flues or the bottom of the syrup pan, but realize that things can and do happen real fast if you go with the shallower amounts and you must know what to do NOW! when things start going wrong. This takes practice and your undevided attention. If you can't do that just run the sap at 1.25 or even 1.5" deep and things happen a little slower. Good luck.

TapME
09-27-2007, 02:39 PM
There are about 210 cubic inch in a gallon if that is any help to you.

RileySugarbush
09-27-2007, 03:13 PM
231 cubic inches per US gallon.....

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-28-2007, 06:14 AM
Ryan,

I doubt they would be too big. If you can pick up a milk tank to hold you sap in an have it in a shaded and cool area, freeze a couple of 5 gallon buckets of sap every day in the deep freeze or 3 or 4 of the sap buckets and throw it in you sap and it will help keep it ice cold and you can keep it much longer and better quality and that way it will be much easier to boil. Some people run an RO and a 2x6 and process 150 gph like that, so you wouldnt be processing it that fast.

Go for it!

TapME
09-28-2007, 06:45 AM
It's been a while since high school physics, I may have lost a little.

Sugarmaker
09-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Ryan,
Sounds like you want to up grade and avoid those sleepless nights. Some guys will say go to a R.O. and keep your evaporator. Others go up several sizes at a time. I have only ever boiled on a 3 x 10 ( Warren (oil)), 30 inch x 10 Leader(wood), and the 3 x 10 King (wood) which I have now. So that size evaporator will easily handle the 200 + taps and will cut your boiling time down a lot. the 80 to 90 gallons per hour rate is about right for a rig that is tuned up, and set up correctly. All this depends on where you want to be in the future, and how much money you have to spend on this hobby.
As far as filling the pans on a 3 x 10??? I have never measured exactly so this is a guess but about 40 -50 gallons to have a inch or so in all the pans?

Regards,
Chris

ryan marquette
09-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks again for everyones input. I am going to make a decision by the weekend. If I decide to go with the 3x10 pans I will need to build another arch. What do you guys use for arch fronts? Is there someone that sells reasonable cast iron fronts?
Thanks,Ryan

Sugarmaker
10-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Ryan,
Just saw a well used King 3 foot wide front and some of the castings go for like $50 at the sale in North east PA. A 4 foot Vermont casting front with a cracked door I think went for under $100.? I thought of bidding on the King for parts since it was the same as mine but the front had several cracks and a 2 inch hole cut into it. A good used set of arch casings are the key. Find a old arch and then start fabing! good luck. I know where there is a 3 x 10 King just setting in a old sugarhouse. They may not sell but I could ask if you wanted me too? I have never seen it? Not sure of the condition? I do know of another arch front about 6 miles from me I think that guy would part with it . Again I have not seen it!

Regards,
Chris

Mike
10-02-2007, 09:04 AM
The formula I believe is L x W x H x 7.48.............I would use the back pan to figure out how many gals seeing how the front pan is only 1/2 inch deep or so....Let me know if Im right on the numbers....

ryan marquette
10-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Well, I went and bought the 3x10 pans today. The pans are grimm pans, 3x7 flue & 3x3 finish pan. The tag on the flue pan says (3x7S88) so I would assume the pans are from 1988. The finish pan is in rough shape. It has been burned pretty bad & is very banged up & warped on the bottom. I really think it would be best to replace the finish pan but I might be able to use it. So now I have to start my plans for an arch.
Thanks Again,
Ryan

Parker
10-07-2007, 04:59 AM
Might want to block the pans up and fill to sap level with water and see if you have any leaking issues befor the season,,,I learned that lesson the hard way,,,did the pans come with connecting hardwear? do you have welding skills?intrest in building an air tight arch,,I have run a traditional arch for 3 years and am going to try to turn mine into an air tight to gain G.P.H-improve my syrup to wood ratio..just some thoughts,,,,