PDA

View Full Version : tapping below lateral vs lateral below mainline

miboss
02-04-2019, 01:02 PM
On vacuum, in some spots I have to choose to either tap below the lateral or have my lateral below the grade of my mainline. Is one preferred over the other.

I'm pretty tall, 6' 6", so I can still reach things, but as of now I have my laterals all high enough to drain down toward the mainline, but that is going to require me to tap below the lateral on those lines. I recall reading a research pdf that says tapping below the lateral is about the same as above when on vacuum, but I'm not sure what others do/say.

I could bring a ladder out to the woods, but really don't want to...

DrTimPerkins
02-04-2019, 01:27 PM
You're (slightly) better off tapping below the lateral and have the dropline go down (yes...that is weird), or have the line wind up the tree and then the lateral line go down to the mainline. Less sap hold-up in the line that way.

Successful tapping below the lateral requires two things -- 1) good vacuum (20" or better) and really good spout/drop sanitation.

miboss
02-04-2019, 01:48 PM
You're (slightly) better off tapping below the lateral and have the dropline go down (yes...that is weird), or have the line wind up the tree and then the lateral line go down to the mainline. Less sap hold-up in the line that way.

Successful tapping below the lateral requires two things -- 1) good vacuum (20" or better) and really good spout/drop sanitation.

Thank you Dr Tim!