PDA

View Full Version : Do they sell a murphy compensation thermometer only?

mol1jb
02-04-2019, 06:30 AM
We have just put a thermometer in our hot hold and want to float our hydrometer in it during cooking. It would be really nice to have the murthys compensation thermometer on it instead and that would make taking readings a snap. Do they sell the compensation thermometer by itself?

johnallin
02-04-2019, 07:02 AM
Yes, pretty sure they sell a Murphy thermometer that floats in your tank

maple flats
02-04-2019, 07:39 AM
They sell a murphy thermometer but it does not give the temperature, it tells you what your hydrometer should read at whatever the temperature is at that moment. It floats on the syrup, but would need to be in a spot where the syrup is not boiling hard, it would not float as well if enough syrup "jumped" into the top of the unit.

mol1jb
02-04-2019, 08:15 AM
Yes, pretty sure they sell a Murphy thermometer that floats in your tank

Ya I did see that one. My tank is smaller (coffee urn style) and I was hoping to just put one into a thermometer port on it.

jetdoc
02-05-2019, 07:39 AM
Smoky Lake sells on that floats

DrTimPerkins
02-05-2019, 08:38 AM
The standard Murphy Cup has a 1/4" NPT port with the specially-calibrated thermometer screwed into it. Call them...they'd probably sell you just the Murphy thermometer. The Murphy Float is set up the same way...a cup with a threaded port to screw the thermometer into.