PDA

View Full Version : Saddle leak tips?

mol1jb
02-03-2019, 03:12 PM
Hey all,

This is my first year with a mainline and saddles. I am using dsd saddles taking 3/16 lines into the main. On the end of the mainline is shurflo pump. I just tapped yesterday so I am sure my 3/16 lines have some leaks and I am experienced in working on 3/16. However finding leaks on a mainline I have no experience. The main is 30p so I can see the sap flowing. What would I be looking for?

VTnewguy
02-03-2019, 04:00 PM
You should be able to hear the leak. Is the gasket installed on the saddle?

mol1jb
02-03-2019, 04:34 PM
Yes it is. I was out for an hour today checking lines and I didnt hear anything from the saddles. I didnt know if outside of sound there would be something visual to look for? Im asking because my gauge on the main was super low but it may just be leaks further out on the 3/16 lines.

spud
02-03-2019, 06:59 PM
Walk the mainline and check every loop. If vacuum is way down then it might be something big. I had a plug come out of a mainline a few years ago. You may have just missed tapping a lateral line.

Spud

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-03-2019, 07:26 PM
The best time to find leaks on saddles is when the temperature is just a few degrees above freezing but the sap is running. Actually i find a lot of micro leaks at these temps. Any manifold that is leaking with temps just a few degrees above freezing will have frost all over the outside of it. Many times when a manifold is leaking you won't hear it if it is small.