PDA

View Full Version : I don't see it yet

maple flats
02-02-2019, 11:32 AM
If the extended forecast is even close I do not see much sap flow potential until March. There are a few days, yes, but the overall trend is too cold. At this time, for me in central NY will not tap until early March. This will then be one of my latest tapping dates ever, however I will keep an eye on the extended forecast to see when it changes more to maple weather.

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-02-2019, 04:39 PM
I agree with you for the northern reaches of sugar country. The days in February are still short and a high temperature is only for 2 or 3 hours at most. Even in March it takes 3-4 days before they get going it seems, at least around here. Hoping I don’t have to tap until the first week of March.

wnybassman
02-02-2019, 04:48 PM
I'm in your boat

Russell Lampron
02-02-2019, 06:12 PM
The temps look good for next week but going back into the deep freeze after that. I'm going to wait until next weekend to see what it looks like then.

Shaun
02-02-2019, 06:33 PM
We tapped a bunch today figuring its best to be ready for early runs. The woodchuck says it was the right choice...

Bruce L
02-02-2019, 07:12 PM
Don’t have the strength for sugar making right now,hope it holds off until March. Wife and I have both been sick with pneumonia for about two weeks now,can’t hardly crawl out of bed,just getting back to eating now,a soda cracker a day for a week just doesn’t do much for energy

wnybassman
02-02-2019, 08:33 PM
We tapped a bunch today figuring its best to be ready for early runs. The woodchuck says it was the right choice...

The woodchuck...............is a woodchuck lol

Russell Lampron
02-03-2019, 05:38 AM
Who should you believe, the woodchuck or the extended forecast? The woodchuck would have seen it's shadow here yesterday if it had been dumb enough to come out of hibernation. The extended forecast looks good for this week and then back into the deep freeze for 10 days. Knowing what extended forecast really are and that things can and do change hourly I wouldn't put too much faith in that either. I'm planning to tap next weekend regardless.

bigschuss
02-03-2019, 06:13 AM
Who should you believe, the woodchuck or the extended forecast? .....The extended forecast looks good for this week and then back into the deep freeze for 10 days. Knowing what extended forecast really are and that things can and do change hourly I wouldn't put too much faith in that either. I'm planning to tap next weekend regardless.

I was thinking the same thing. I see people looking at the forecast for 1 or 2 months out and making decisions based on that, or chasing 2 to 3 day warm spells...and I just don't get it.

buckeye gold
02-03-2019, 06:33 AM
I don't put any faith in myths and little in forecast (long term). I do watch trends and a seasonal trend usually holds true. As example, this year I just tapped my main woods a few days ago. This is at least a week later than normal for me. I put my fall taps out late too and they were still duds. I used to see the same thing before i retired. Weather dictated what we done when. Soon as we'd get a warm spell I'd get calls from the big boys to gear up and I would tell them to pull their panties back up, it aint time to crap yet. Everything would happen within a 10-14 day period every year. That was about the limit of change. Most years it was 3-5 days variance. I am tapped here in southern Ohio, but I was about 5 days later than my traditional dates. My first real boil of the season will be today. I'll be done by March 10th or sooner.