PDA

View Full Version : Transferring sap

steve J
02-01-2019, 02:31 PM
So I am curious those of you that transfer sap from one holding tank to another using a pump and hose. Are you using expensive potable water hose? or are you using a garden hose because the sap is going to be boiled at such a high temp?

Cjadamec
02-01-2019, 02:46 PM
You should be using potable water rated hose. This is a must if you plan on selling the finished product.

If it's just a hobby at the very least a new hose that is clean and hasn't been out in the shed or laying in the dirt for years.

Check out Amazon you can get a 5/8" 25foot potable rated garden hoses for about 15 bucks.

full moon maple
02-01-2019, 02:46 PM
Everyhing we use is food grade, no excuses

DrTimPerkins
02-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Two problems with garden hose (and other such materials):

1. Regrind material -- it could be made from old, recycled tires.
2. Contamination from other things -- oils, lead, etc.

In other case....those are not things that can be helped by boiling. In fact, the problems only get concentrated in the process.

buckeye gold
02-01-2019, 06:01 PM
if your using garden hose then they make a RV water hose that is potable water rated. I believe it's the only one that is white

wnybassman
02-01-2019, 06:10 PM
RV hoses aren't all that much money, and work very well for some applications. The only problem I have had with them is sometimes the banding they use to strap the hose together for sale puts a crimp in the hose that is next to impossible to get out. Some brands do, and some don't. If you go to a store that is something you can look for, but ordering online you get what you get.

sweetwater sugar shack
02-01-2019, 08:28 PM
I use 3/4 main line with quick disconnect

Sweet Shady Lane
02-10-2019, 07:03 PM
i use dairy hose to move my sap, i get it from fleet farm you can buy it by the foot, i forget what it is a foot

Sugarmaker
02-11-2019, 08:01 AM
I just ordered some new 1-1/4 I.D. hose for my transfer remote pump. Its for potable water. smooth on the insde and clear.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23579&catid=571

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=74604&catid=571

I know I should have orderd the 1 inch hose. But my fittings were set up with 1-1/4 som I was being lazy. 1 inch would have been lighter to handle.

I will try to post some info on how it works.
Regards,
Chris

maple flats
02-11-2019, 08:36 AM
Do not use garden hose, even for home use only syrup. You have choices. Maybe the lowest cost one might be the black poly pipe. Just use a size appropriate for the amount of sap and the pump you are moving. If time matters, 1 size larger than the pump gets far better performance in GPM from the pump. That black poly pipe is for potable water and you can get it in a few different lengths. Pull it tight and let the sun warm it and it straightens out well. Try not to kink it, even after removing the kink it could be a leak. It will be far cheaper than potable water hose, but that can also be used. I have that for my permeate hose from my RO to my permeate tank. Actually, I have 2 lines that I use, one the white hose, directly to the permeate tank and a second one is a short white hose to a pump that feeds my tankless hot water heater and any not used for hot water flows to a 10 gal tank in my ceiling then an overflow runs out of that tank thru 3/4" maple tubing to the permeate tank. When I run the RO I just choose which white hose to connect to the RO.

1arch
02-12-2019, 10:24 PM
I use 3/4 main line with quick disconnect

Same here with the the food grade rated main line. Already have fittings and misc lengths of pipe laying around to work with.

Sugarmaker
02-13-2019, 07:32 AM
Ok, I just got my new transfer hose (links in above post). It is twice as stiff as I would like and not sure its going to work? I think it would work great as a static hose, to maybe run from pump to tank. I want to use this as a hose I un-roll and roll up with a 2700 gph Rule pump attached on one end. Anyone have very flexible food grade with good wear resistance/ toughness?
Regards,
Chris

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-13-2019, 12:07 PM
Tigerflex hose is the best one out there. The WT series is food grade. You're going to pay for it but never heard anyone disappointed with it.

ennismaple
02-13-2019, 12:32 PM
We use mainline for moving some sap around. From the RO to the permeate or concentrate tank we have 1" blue mainline. For larger pipes (1.25" and above) we use grey or white schedule 40.