PDA

View Full Version : Mild Winter Questions

GSCampChris
01-30-2019, 06:35 AM
We are based in Columbus, OH and had a very mild November and December. Some farms in the area “cancelled” their syrup season giving the reason that there wasn’t enough cold days in December and November to make it worth tapping this year. I have been trying to locate the science throughout the forum to support OR dispute this claim. We set our taps in the last couple of weeks waiting for the polar vortex to break here- and some folks are asking why we did it since so many others have cancelled. Is their scientific info to support either cancelling or going ahead with the season?
So far our sap has been sitting at about 1.8 brix- which seems okay to me. Thanks in advance! We are an Environmental Center and do people are always asking me about the “science”— and I just want to get it right and also be respectful to everyone else’s decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cfenton86
01-30-2019, 07:50 AM
This article does a very good job of explaining what is needed for sap flow and science behind it. Its not the length or depth of the winter freeze before that effects production. Really just the freeze thaw cycle in late winter is what is needed. I had similar concerns this season, however winter finally showed up here in the last couple weeks.

https://botanistinthekitchen.blog/2013/03/18/maple-syrup-mechanics/

Cjadamec
01-30-2019, 08:20 AM
I would bet that there is more than just a warm December that lead to them not tapping this year. If it is a business for them the weather in Nov/Dec may impact when they can get their equipment ready and set their taps. I may also cut their season too short to for it to be profitable for them.

As far as I've understood its the entire previous years growing season that impacts the sugar content of the trees as a whole, not just one or two months at the end of the season.

It doesn't take that much winter weather for the trees to start running sap.

buckeye gold
01-30-2019, 08:24 AM
I am surprised that anyone told you they was cancelling the season, because of weather. The only sure way to fail at anything is to never try! The article clenton linked does a good job of explaining the process. I have no idea where they got the concept that we haven't had enough winter, they surely haven't studied how Maple sap production happens. I am just south of you and I tapped last weekend and am patiently waiting for the warm up. This cold snap has set us up well. Next week when your drowning in sap you'll be glad you didn't cancel anything. Patience grasshopper, patience. what God has blessed us with he will not take away. Some years may be better and some worse, but there will always be sap flow as long as there are Maple trees. I have tapped and made syrup as early as the first week of December and as late as April, here in southern Ohio. You are wise to look for facts and the science. It has been a poor year for good weather cycles, but I never even dreamed of abandoning my season.

bigschuss
01-30-2019, 09:24 AM
We set our taps in the last couple of weeks waiting for the polar vortex to break here- and some folks are asking why we did it since so many others have cancelled.

Cancelling a baseball game due to rain..I get. Cancelling a ski race due to lack of snow...I get. Cancelling an entire sugaring season because it's cold out right now? I don't get that one.

ennismaple
01-30-2019, 12:05 PM
The sap will run whether your neighbours have tapped or not! If there was ever a season for us to not tap this might be it - we got hammered by caterpillars last summer despite spraying the woods. As maple producers we get a very small % of the total starch reserves from the tree so as long as the trees are reasonably healthy they can be tapped no matter what happened in the fall. IMO and from what I've read, the amount of syrup you make per tap is more dependent on the weather during the season and the weather the previous May-August than what happened in November and December.

GSCampChris
01-30-2019, 01:02 PM
I am surprised that anyone told you they was cancelling the season, because of weather. The only sure way to fail at anything is to never try! The article clenton linked does a good job of explaining the process. I have no idea where they got the concept that we haven't had enough winter, they surely haven't studied how Maple sap production happens. I am just south of you and I tapped last weekend and am patiently waiting for the warm up. This cold snap has set us up well. Next week when your drowning in sap you'll be glad you didn't cancel anything. Patience grasshopper, patience. what God has blessed us with he will not take away. Some years may be better and some worse, but there will always be sap flow as long as there are Maple trees. I have tapped and made syrup as early as the first week of December and as late as April, here in southern Ohio. You are wise to look for facts and the science. It has been a poor year for good weather cycles, but I never even dreamed of abandoning my season.

I look forward to the sugaring season all year long. I would feel like i missed Christmas if i skipped out on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fred
01-30-2019, 02:45 PM
chris,
your "normal" tapping season starts feb 1st. you will be a couple weeks behind this year. don't let anyone keep you down. we are having a good cold winter, let nature take its course. sap will flow soon enough.

maple flats
01-30-2019, 03:18 PM
You would be surprised just how little cold weather it take to set the maple tree up for moving sap. Look at those in the southern extrems of maple country, they still get sap. Maybe not enough to satisfy a full time maple operation, but they make syrup.
As for my thoughts, the Fall/ Winter weather leading up to maple season have had enough cold to primes the trees. Just tap when the sap is ready to move and you can have the last laugh on those who did not tap because Nov and Dec were mild.
I still have the belief that, if we get lots of freeze thaw cycles between now and the end of maple season, we will have a great season.

unclejohn
01-31-2019, 09:41 AM
FYI the conditions in Missouri have been great= lots of snow, big thaws, and another one coming this weekend after the polar vortex exits the Midwest. We've had 2 boils already and made 9 gallons. Good luck and be patient! John

DrTimPerkins
01-31-2019, 10:50 AM
There are several questions/issues involved in this discussion.

1. Has there been enough cold weather for maple? There is a chilling requirement for breaking dormancy of sugar maple buds. It can amount to a few thousand hours for northern trees, but the requirement is fairly plastic, so it is considerably less in southern trees. Overall, probably not a big concern.
2. Will the sap flow if the temperature hasn't been cold enough? Yes...as long as you have freeze-thaw conditions, the sap will flow.
3. Will the sugar content be high enough to make it worth it? That depends upon a bunch of things, but the most consistent thing is if you don't tap you'll get no sugar.
4. Did other things influence the decision not to tap? Sure sounds like it.

Abattoir
01-31-2019, 09:15 PM
This article does a very good job of explaining what is needed for sap flow and science behind it. Its not the length or depth of the winter freeze before that effects production. Really just the freeze thaw cycle in late winter is what is needed. I had similar concerns this season, however winter finally showed up here in the last couple weeks.

https://botanistinthekitchen.blog/2013/03/18/maple-syrup-mechanics/
Great information! Learn so many new things from the post.

Sugarmaker
02-04-2019, 08:25 PM
Chris (OH),
In my 60 years around making syrup, I cant remember a year we didnt have spring and the sap did not run. Some years maybe longer and more of it, but just always seems to happen. Glad your tapping in Columbus. Where is your operation located?
Regards,
Chris (PA)