PDA

View Full Version : how to run 5/16 laterals on a shurflo system? How much slope??!!

zandstrafarms
01-27-2019, 08:53 PM
Ok, so all the info I can find is for 3/16 systems runing down hills.

Our maple supplier told us to use 5/16 laterals on our shurflo 4048 pump with a 3/4" mainline. Our woods have a very minimal slope from the middle down to the end of the woods, line of sight maybe a 10 ft height difference max. Our mainline is 500ft and has a good slope from start to finish. However, with several small dips and hills between our trees on our lateral lines, we are looking at many of our taps at the furtherst end being maybe 10+ feet in the air. My question is, using vacuum on a 5/16 line how much slope do I need on the laterals? We have run the lines almost tight enough for me to tightrope walk on them, so no sags at least right now...

But how much slope is needed, or can it be almost horizontal? ps, we have about 15-25 taps per lateral, as suggested by our supplier and a few others we had encountered. Whether or not that's good, I don't know :P (we are tapping about 100 trees this season)

Thanks!

jmayerl
01-27-2019, 09:22 PM
As long as there is slope that is all that matters. WAY to many taps per lat. if it was a high vac system the best results would be with under 5 per lateral. I would never go over 7-8 but if they are already tubed it’s to late for now.

zandstrafarms
01-28-2019, 05:13 AM
No, we have only run laterals so far, not put taps on it yet. In theory, we could run additional lines in tandem and split the taps along both lines.

KReinisch
01-28-2019, 06:14 AM
I would use 3/16 if I were you. My shurflo system last year was amazing. 225 taps on 3/16 and I made almost a half a gallon per tap in that woods.

VTnewguy
01-28-2019, 11:27 AM
I would make sure to add a recirculation line to keep the vacuum high.