PDA

View Full Version : Iron Pipe or PVC from Vac Pump To Releaser?

johnallin
01-25-2019, 04:12 PM
I'm getting ready to set up a new AirTech L25 vac pump and wonder if anyone has a recommendation for interior pipe.
My plan is to install the pump in my boat-wood shop with the releaser and water trap in the sugar house about 80' away. I want to use blue 1" mainline between the shop and the sugar house. I'll have the pipes from the pump and releaser run up the wall, and then exit to the outside. From there, I need some sort of connector (cam-lock...fernco) to connect the 80' of flexible 1" tube, between the shop to the sugar house. I'd prefer to be able to remove the 1" tube in the off-season.

Any suggestions for this connection, and for the interior pipe? Other than being easy to work with, are there any pros-cons in using PVC or ABS vs. iron pipe?
Thanks - John

PS If Fred is listening, tell him I really like my Leader Clear Filter Press...<grin>

JoeJ
01-26-2019, 05:45 AM
The L25 produces 21 CFM at the pump. There is no chart number for a 21 CFM pump but,according to the NEW York State Vacuum book, the vacuum reduction for 100' using 1" pipe on a 15 CFM pump is down to 13 CFm, (-15%) but on a 30 CFM pump, the reduction is down to 19 CFM (-35%). Depending how many CFM's you need, you might consider 1 1/2" pipe that loses -3% for a 15 CFM pump and -7% on a 30 CFM pump.

Joe

maple flats
01-26-2019, 08:50 AM
Don't starve the vacuum, 2" is called for, (but 1.5" would be close, with 2" you'd likely lose almost none, on 1.5" maybe 5%) PVC is fine and it can be set up to remove in the summer.

VT_K9
01-26-2019, 05:57 PM
We ran 1 1/2" about 725' to one releaser and will be using 2" to go about 1200' to the second releaser. I think for the cost buy a 100' roll (rolls are often cheaper than 75% or more of a full roll) of 1 1/2" and run it. You can use a variety of fittings to connect. The Banjo would likely be the easiest for connecting. The other choice would be a PVC Union. We have some banjos on our mainline and the PVC Unions at our releaser.

Mike

johnallin
01-26-2019, 08:14 PM
Thanks to all of you, those are the answers I was looking for. Although I have some 1", after reading your replies, it will be 1½ mainline between the buildings, with PVC for the balance.

johnallin
02-13-2019, 04:32 PM
Well I'm almost finished with the releaser, water trap and vacuum pump. I've seen pictures of flexible hose used between the water trap and releaser and it looks like a great application in my case.
Does anyone know where to find flexible hose that's 2 3/8" ID to match the OD of the 2" coming off the releaser? Thanks John