PDA

View Full Version : Flow from spiles after long cold snap???

unclejohn
01-24-2019, 09:21 AM
So I tapped 120 trees on Jan 14-16; couldn't get to all of our trees due to the snow. Sap flowed like crazy Jan 16-18 and we harvested everything we could, then this arctic air mass arrived. The trees are now sleeping and whats in the sap sacks is frozen solid. Looks like we wont have favorable flow until 2nd week of Feb here in mid Missouri. Question for the experts- Will the sap resume flow out of these spiles after 3-4 weeks, or does the hole begin closing up? Will I have to retap these same holes? Will plastic spiles with sap in them freeze and split? We're going to have low temp tonight around +5 deg F.

Chickenman
01-24-2019, 09:26 AM
Others may chime in as well, but I've had a few out since Christmas. Yesterday was the first time in 2 weeks that it got above 34 degrees. It has been in the single digits to high 20's. Trees are frozen but the did give up 2 gallons of sap yesterday. Was 38 degrees, windy and raining. I too am using sap sacks, on PVC holders.

Sugarmaker
01-24-2019, 01:40 PM
Trees/ taps should start running again when it warms up! Always has before, Ma Nature wont let us down. 3 weeks will still be fine. If you were in your 6th/ 8th week maybe not? Good luck with your season. Keep getting ready!
How much syrup did you make?
Regards,
Chris

unclejohn
01-24-2019, 03:31 PM
we made 17 quarts from 166 gallons. beautiful light golden color with buttery texture. makes all the work worth it. John

Russell Lampron
01-24-2019, 05:06 PM
Your tap holes will be fine and the sap should start running again when the weather breaks. It's better to have a sap flow stoppage because it's too cold than to have it stop because it's too warm.