PDA

View Full Version : Flue pan filter?

MN Jake
01-17-2019, 09:23 AM
I had a visitor at the shack a week ago and he made a comment about our syrup. He picked up a bottle of mine and said "this is dark compared to the guy behind you who boils fairly primitively". While only slightly bothered, it made me start thinking about it a little. We do have an RO and for now go to 10-12%. I do leave pans full at night, haven't found a convenient way of going a different route yet and understand that this may be part of it. we do have a filterpress. Filtering for us is a pain in the @$$! I have to go a full 3 cups of DE per window plate in a 8 gallon draw off cycle or its not going to filter.
Our comfortable pace is about 20+ gallons drawn off per hour at this time. Some day we could likely push our equipment to 40ish per hour.

I listed the info above because it all effects color. My question is partly about color and potentially could make filtering easier and quicker.

Would a recirculating pump coming from the flue pan drain pumping into an orlon bag and prefilters suspended over the flu pan help in any manner? Has anyone experimented with this before? Maybe I'm waisting brain cells?
lighter than the average but not by much.