PDA

View Full Version : "Tying off" stretched 3/16 tubing

jimmol
01-16-2019, 09:18 PM
This year I would like to eliminate the wire in my front yard for my two runs of 75 and 50 ft. I purchased Leader 3/16 Lateral Line Plastic Tubing which can be "stretched tight". I can start at the tree side with an end hook (though I must admit I really do not know how to correctly connect them) but what do I do at the collector end? What do I use to keep the tension? Is there something similar to support grips for tubing?
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

wnybassman
01-16-2019, 10:00 PM
This year I would like to eliminate the wire in my front yard for my two runs of 75 and 50 ft. I purchased Leader 3/16 Lateral Line Plastic Tubing which can be "stretched tight". I can start at the tree side with an end hook (though I must admit I really do not know how to correctly connect them) but what do I do at the collector end? What do I use to keep the tension? Is there something similar to support grips for tubing?
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Hollow core poly rope. Chinese finger trap it.

maple flats
01-17-2019, 05:22 AM
It works good, just get some braided 1/4" rope. Have about 15-20" slid over the tubing and it then helps to use a gas line hose clamp but don't tighten it too much. That mainly helps prevent the end of the rope from getting bumped and losing grip on the tubing. The 1/4 rope works on both 3/16 and 5/16 tubing. To get it on the tubing, just use the barrel end of a pen, slide it on the tubing, then push it into the hollow of the rope. Keep pushing until it is on enough, then pull the pen barrel out thru the side of the rope and the tubing will follow it out. Then the rope can be tied to tighten the tubing and the tail of the tubing goes to the tank

Super Sapper
01-17-2019, 05:46 AM
You will need hollow core rope for this to work, other braided rope will not work on this. You need to either melt the ends or wrap with electrical tape on the ends to keep it from unraveling.

jimmol
01-17-2019, 05:54 AM
Rope - so simple. I have some fiber filled hollow core on the shelf but it is 3/8. I can slide the tubing in and with 12" on the tube so I see what you are saying, except...and I apologize for being so dense...How do I get the tube through the rope to the collector? The end is covered by the rope that is tied off to keep it tight. I am guessing I have a Tee before the part that has the rope on it? (on the electrical side, the grip lets the cable hang out while you pull it tight and connect it and then connect your cable.)
Thanks for your patience.
Oh, if there is a good book, like a Maple Syrup for Dummies, that covers how to use the fitting and using hollow core rope as a grip, point me to it and I will read it.

wnybassman
01-17-2019, 06:54 AM
You slide the tubing in a foot or foot and a half then exit the side of the rope and pull out what you need out to do what you want to do. I have 4 to 5 feet out in some instances

johnallin
01-17-2019, 04:16 PM
Rope - so simple. I have some fiber filled hollow core on the shelf but it is 3/8. I can slide the tubing in and with 12" on the tube so I see what you are saying, except...and I apologize for being so dense...How do I get the tube through the rope to the collector? The end is covered by the rope that is tied off to keep it tight. I am guessing I have a Tee before the part that has the rope on it? (on the electrical side, the grip lets the cable hang out while you pull it tight and connect it and then connect your cable.)
Thanks for your patience.
Oh, if there is a good book, like a Maple Syrup for Dummies, that covers how to use the fitting and using hollow core rope as a grip, point me to it and I will read it.

Attached picture shows what I did. It's pretty self explanatory. I start with about an 8' length of 1/4" hollow braid. About 4" from one end - push it together to open the braid and feed the tube to the inside. Keep pushing the rope together (makes it fatter and the rope slide over the 3/16 tube much easier) until about 2-3' of the tube is inside the rope. Pull the tube through an open braid to exit the inside of the rope. You should now have about a 6' length of 1/4" line to use to tie off to a tree or whatever is handy. You can position the rope anywhere along the tube that works..
You now have a classic Chinese Finger Trap... the harder you pull, the tighter the rope grabs the tube. Hope this is helpful. John

jimmol
01-17-2019, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the pict and the details of how to do it. The rope I had on the shelf was a tight weave, but I was able to get the 3/16 tubing through it and it works as you said. Can't wait to start running the lines!

Sugar Bear
01-24-2019, 04:55 PM
Can you do this with 5/16" and what size rope?

Does it ever pinch down too much?

johnallin
01-24-2019, 06:11 PM
Can you do this with 5/16" and what size rope?

Does it ever pinch down too much?

Sure can. Just need to find a hollow braid line that will accept your 5/16 tube. The principle is the same. It should not pinch too tight at all. At least I’ve not seen that with what I’ve used.

Crik
02-04-2019, 06:09 AM
19330 This how I do it. Line goes into a bucket on the ground.

Hope I got the picture on here, this is my first post :confused: