PDA

View Full Version : Shurflo, which switches and relays to use

ValleySpringsMapleWI
01-16-2019, 12:15 PM
I’m currently installing 5/16” lines with 3/4” mainlines for around 250 taps, we have very steep hills here in west central WI, so gravity flow is no issue, however I’ve reading up about the Shurflo setups to help pull sap but have not found anywhere where people have listed the exact items they use. I’m really just looking for info on what thermostat relays people are using and whatever else maybe required to run a 4048 Shurflo pump. So if somebody could start a list with the exact items they ordered and or links to them that would be helpful.

steve J
01-16-2019, 12:53 PM
If your hills are steep I would run 3/16 tubing> I also have steep hills and originally ran 5/16 and it delivery little to no natural vac. 3/16 blew me away.

zandstrafarms
01-17-2019, 01:08 PM
It all depends. As it happens, I am doing the VERY SAME THING and am on here looking up info on pumps. Considering the 4048, but trying to figure out if it lets sap through with the motor off or not.

How do you plan to power it? We are doing a 200 watt solar system with deep cycle battery. I have all the needed items in my ebay cart, I can send you links : https://www.ebay.com/itm/NewPowa-200W-Watt-Solar-Panel-12V-System-Controller-Mounts-MC4-Wire-charging-Kit/121644748011

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-220V-Digital-LED-Temperature-Thermostat-Controller-Temperature-Switch-Probe/183418844154?hash=item2ab49d73fa:m:mwEaVrA0qqFprVq sscZHauw:rk:1:pf:0

And of course your pump. Not sure which pump you planned to use, but this is enogh for a pump running 18 watts (you need 8x more watts for solar usage).

here is a video showing it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNd2R964gU4&lc=z22bwr4wlpnax33uoacdp4353lpwowph2kotm2jdyexw03c 010c.1547063853518474

he uses a manifold style mainline (instead of the 3/4in) because the 3/16 lines do better this way on this pump. As for us, we have mostly flat ground so are running 5/16 with a 3/4 mainline with 100 taps (or that's the plan).

ValleySpringsMapleWI
01-17-2019, 04:28 PM
Steve J, I am planning to add a true vacuum/release setup in the future so that is why I opted to go with the 5/16 lines otherwise I would’ve went with the 3/16 and zandstrafarms, I believe the 4048 has a bypass built into the pump to let sap flow even when it is not running atleast that’s as much as I have gathered from my research on them as for powering it I am planning to use a marine battery and a 100 watt solar panel kit from Harbor freight- https://m.harborfreight.com/100-watt-solar-panel-kit-63585.html it comes with everything needed to charge the battery. My biggest question was trying to find the right thermostat relay and any other switches or relays. I’ve also heard guys using a light bulb inside the box the pump sits in. Wondering if that is really necessary if the pump shuts off with the thermostat anyway?

mol1jb
01-18-2019, 03:59 PM
Really any 12 volt temp relay switch will work. As for the light bulb, you are correct. If the temp switch shuts off your pump at or just below freezing you won't need one.

zandstrafarms
01-27-2019, 06:50 PM
Skip harbor freight solar panels. Ebay has a whole kit much cheaper, and you'll need 2 panels for the 4048 (from what I've read regarding watts used). NEWPOWA on ebay has a 200 watt kit for $200 and includes everything.

Here is the temp switch we ordered: 12-220V Digital LED Temperature Thermostat Controller Temperature Switch Probe

and the solar kit NewPowa 200W Watt Solar Panel 12V System Controller Mounts MC4 Wire charging Kit

We are waiting on 1 more part and will assemble this week. From what I read on the bypass, it's more of a priming feature, at least according to the manual I read. OK, I just checked it and it does NOT drain through a bypass. The bypass feature just allows it to vacuum without the need for a collection tank.

But if you think about it, it shouldn't flow sap unless it hits a certain temp anyway, and if you re using a temp sensor you shouldn't have to worry about bypassing anything. The light bulb inside is to help prevent any leftover liquids from hard freezing.

Urban Sugarmaker
01-28-2019, 06:18 PM
and you'll need 2 panels for the 4048 (from what I've read regarding watts used). NEWPOWA on ebay has a 200 watt kit for $200 and includes everything.

I have a 4048 and a 160 watt panel. Is this enough? Had I seen your post about the $200 kit I would have gotten that instead to be safe.

Tobey802
01-28-2019, 06:52 PM
I hope to set up shureflo system for next year, currently getting all my ducks in a row to set it up this summer if not possibly this season. Well trying to figure everything out I came across mountain maple https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com/details-and-features/ seems like a good guy to check out if you haven't already.

Sap Raider
01-29-2019, 06:01 PM
The Mountain Maple Controller does more than you can by relays, switches etc that will take time to make and install. My opinion the controller that he has built is the answer for a lot of producers large and smal.