PDA

View Full Version : Anyone selling a 5/16' 2 handed tubing tool?

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
01-14-2019, 09:02 AM
Looking to buy a used one or even rent for a weekend lol...I need to install 75 drops on 1 line, the rest of my stuff is 3/16 and I tried using that tool and it just damages the tubing.

Thanks!
-Scott

maple flats
01-14-2019, 09:29 AM
Try using the 3/16 tool, but leave the clamp jaws loose enough that you can use something to pad the jaws. That may work, several producers use a 5/16, slit a piece of 5/16 and then use that to pad the jaws and they do then get good results for 3/16. I don't know, but the reverse may work too. If not, try the thermos idea. Fill a thermos with hot water, then hold just the last 1/2" or so of the tubing to push on over the barbs in the hot water and after about 5-6 seconds pull it out of the thermos and push on by hand. As the thermos cools you will gradually need to hold the tubing in a little longer. You might finish all 75 or it may take 2 or 3 refills and reheating of the thermos.

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
01-14-2019, 09:33 AM
Thanks Dave....I tried the 3/16 tool, seems to damage the tubing, but it would work. Thanks for the quick response.

n8hutch
01-14-2019, 02:08 PM
What kind of 2 handed tools do you have? Is it an automatic tensioner? I use my 3/16 2 handed tool on 5/16 all the time, it has automatic tensioner but there is still some manual adjustment that you can change on the (Cam lever) if you will. I have A CDL Tool. But I'm sure if you tinker with it you can make it work.

I have used it on Leader,CDL,and LaPierre tubing, it may have left a little but more of a grip mark on the semi rigid LaPierre tubing but I dont use that anymore anyway, it was green and I prefer the blue.

bmbmkr
01-15-2019, 09:10 AM
If you need to work 3/16 with the 5/16 tool that doesn't auto tension, cut a piece of 5/16 tubing 1 1/2" long, and cut a slit end to end. Use this for a collar- slide it over the 3/16 end and the tool grips it and works great. I've used it this way for three years now, 400+ taps, 2 1/2 miles of tubing.