PDA

View Full Version : Misleading packing of syrup

Dennis H.
01-12-2019, 03:26 PM
Went to a local grocery store today and found this on the shelf.

Quart of maple syrup and right beside it a pint of "pancake Syrup"

Both in the same style of container.

Very misleading if I say so myself.

A year or two ago another manufacturer did the same thing, did they not have to take it down? I can not remember.

a.clarke
01-12-2019, 03:28 PM
Geez... That is very misleading. Both products by the same company too. I am surprised that they got away with it, or will be very surprised if they do not have to make a change.

Dennis H.
01-12-2019, 04:23 PM
Thank is what I was thinking.

I was trying to think who contact that can tell me if this is allowed?

wnybassman
01-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Obviously 100% pure maple syrup is "waffle syrup" according to the packaging. lol

That is crazy!

Russell Lampron
01-12-2019, 05:19 PM
I think that the maple police should be all over this. Do you have a maple producers association in your area that could address this? I know that is this was in VT it wouldn't have even made it to the store shelf and if it was in NH there would be a big backlash if it did. Start the fight if it hasn't been started already.

mainebackswoodssyrup
01-12-2019, 07:25 PM
Wow, I've seen some squirelly stuff on the shelf but that is by far the worst offender. Organic as well none the less......

Run Forest Run!
01-19-2019, 03:32 PM
Outrageous.

It wouldn't do any harm to also rattle the source.

https://www.supervalu.com/responsibility.html

spud
01-20-2019, 02:29 PM
I don't see the problem. Both jugs are labeled properly. It's just a company trying to cater to all customers. As long as the shopper can read there should be no problem.

Spud

minehart gap
01-21-2019, 06:57 AM
I'm with you Spud, everything seems to be correctly labeled. It would have been nice if both were the same size and therefore closer in price but otherwise, I wouldn't have even noticed anything. At least it's not high fructose corn slop.

But, I wouldn't sell a quart of my syrup for only $16.99 and I'm not classified as organic.

highlandcattle
01-21-2019, 02:12 PM
Most stores sell this junk. I posted pics before. People REALLY do NOT know the difference. I volunteer at our co op. I try to explain. Only those that care to listen will do so. The shop carried fruit "infused". Syrup for the holidays. High prices and from what I understand pretty awful.

Dennis H.
01-21-2019, 04:47 PM
To each their own.
I understand that the producer can package their product into whatever container they wish.
But when you package 2 products that have the same use into the exact same style of container with a label that looks the same except one word that they changed and that one word is not a major part of that label it sure looks to me at least that they are trying to deceive the customer or at least trick the customer into buy an product that they were unaware that they were buying.

I know, I know, buyer beware. It is the Buyers responsibility to read the packaging and know what they are buying. BUT is our memory so short that we do not remember the Log Cabin thing from a few years ago??