PDA

View Full Version : 5 /16th tubing preference

devils11217
01-10-2019, 11:56 AM
Anyone leaning a certain direction when purchasing new 5 /16th tubing? which tubing company and type of tubing do you choose? many options nowadays....

ennismaple
01-10-2019, 12:01 PM
We've used it all. Semi-rigid has been best for us and we've used CDL, Lapierre and D&G with no clear preference other than price!

I would recommend you get 10-year and not pay the extra for 15 year. Most producers replace theirs much sooner that 15 years (we replace on a 10 year cycle) so its not worth the premium IMO.

hogisland42
01-10-2019, 12:20 PM
I have used lapierre and leader. I definatly prefer the leader. I have had both side by side and over time I got a sag in the lapierre and the leader stayed true

Maplewalnut
01-10-2019, 01:32 PM
I to have tried it all. My latest preference is D&G semi-stiff (its a little stiffer than semi-rigid) for laterals and CDL semi-ridgid for drops. I have noticed my green tubing (multiple mfrs) tends to foul more visibly than blue

Mike

devils11217
01-10-2019, 03:28 PM
only ask this as I am thinking about replacing my drops this year and need to purchase tubing. How often is everyone changing drops?

maple flats
01-10-2019, 04:00 PM
I change mine every 3 years. I also have used most if not all brands. I like the softer one for drops but don't buy it because they are harder to insert the fittings. I've used the hot end system, conventional tubing tools, mostly 2 hand, and the 2 hand LOAC tool. The LOAC by far works best but the softer tubing still goes slower building drops, for that reason alone, I use the stiffer for 5/16, but I still prefer the soft one with 3/16 for laterals, but all of my drops are using 5/16. My last batch of tubing was several coils of D&G, semi stiff, it worked well. Faster to make 500 drops with that than most others.

unc23win
01-10-2019, 06:10 PM
only ask this as I am thinking about replacing my drops this year and need to purchase tubing. How often is everyone changing drops?

Get the pre-cut drops! They are so much easier to work with. I use Lapierre 36" drops they are right around .30 each with out fittings. Depending on fittings you can get them with fittings for about .80-1.00 each. I get mine without fittings because I like one side plugged Ts. But its pre-cuts from here on out for me.

Russell Lampron
01-10-2019, 06:41 PM
Like everyone else I've used them all too. I like the CDL vision the best. It's easy to see through which making leak checking much easier. It's a little on the soft side so you have to be careful when you install the fittings but it seals well and stays on the fittings.

Ultimatetreehugger
01-10-2019, 06:48 PM
My girlfriend cuts all my drops to size for me. She is a keeper!

hogisland42
01-11-2019, 07:03 AM
One warning with the soft stuff is the squirrels love it. The softer is easier for you and the squirrels!

spud
01-11-2019, 09:30 AM
I just made up 2000 drops in the last few weeks. I had several rolls of blue CDL tubing in my sugar house so I started with that. I'm not sure if it was semi ridged or not but it was firm. I came up 500+ short of what I needed so I went to my dealer and all he had was green. I bought 4 rolls of green CDL tubing and the stuff is JUNK. It is soft and very tough to make drops with. I would not recommend this tubing to anyone. I am bringing the green back today and getting blue. Although I buy all my supplies from my friend at CDL I have to admit that the best tubing I have ever used was H2O. By far the best. I have tried CDL, Leader, Lapierre and H2O.

Spud

Marc Duclos
01-11-2019, 09:40 AM
Wow pushing 2000 drops together! Hum Got me thinking about getting the old singer sowing machine rigged up for that chore.

spud
01-11-2019, 11:24 AM
Wow pushing 2000 drops together! Hum Got me thinking about getting the old singer sowing machine rigged up for that chore.

HAHA maybe you should Marc. After making all those drops my shoulder blades were burning. I'm too cheap to buy a drop maker.

Spud

BAP
01-11-2019, 12:04 PM
HAHA maybe you should Marc. After making all those drops my shoulder blades were burning. I'm too cheap to buy a drop maker.

Spud
Naw, you’re not cheap, just a thrifty Yankee.