PDA

View Full Version : Another ShurFlo 3/16 design question----Freezing pump concern and 12v

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
01-10-2019, 08:36 AM
Ive asked a lot of questions lately but here are 2 others.....

OK I am going to setup 2 Shurflo systems on my 2 properties, 1 of them is pretty flat and the other does have some slight elevation drop, but not enough that gravity is going to help me too much, so I decided to go with the pumps.

1) What do you all do with 12v setups to keep your pump from freezing? Is there anything I can do other than maybe wrapping the pump in insulation? Im going to use 12v deep cycle batteries to run the system, so putting a light bulb in the box to keep it warm enough doesnt seem practical as it would just drain the battery too fast.

2) I keep reading about air in the line issues and using a re-circulation line to eliminate the air.....no idea what that really means. Is it necessary, and how would I go about it?

Attached is a picture of what my box will look like. I tested it last night, all the parts. I have a Chinese temp controller, Shurflo 4008 12v pump, and will 4 3/16" lines coming into each setup with about 100 total taps on each setup.

Thanks!

Biz
01-10-2019, 09:13 AM
You might try tee-ing in an electric bypass valve to the pump inlet side. Set it up so the valve is open when pump is off. There may be a second contact on the temperature controller that can be used. But the bypass valve may consume some power depending on type used, and might not guarantee that sap is removed from the pump when it is off.

You might also take a look at the controller that I have on my website (bottom of message). The controller automatically purges sap from the pump before it is turned off, and allows any sap to bypass the pump. It allows the pump to stay outside in freezing temperatures without sustaining freeze damage, and does not need any other other protection like insulation or heat lights. Good for a remote location.

Dave

Super Sapper
01-10-2019, 11:18 AM
I just set my Off temperature a couple of degrees below freezing and have not had a problem.

littleTapper
01-10-2019, 01:17 PM
I do what Super Sapper does with my controller, but also have a small light bulb inside the plastic tote that houses my pump and manifold. No issues so far.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Biz
01-10-2019, 01:28 PM
littleTapper - What do you use for turn-on temperature setting? I have seen a blown pump fuse when experimenting a couple years ago (with total loss of a day's sap) from pump trying to turn on when frozen. This can happen if the turn-on setting is too low, or the temperature sensor gets early morning sun and heats up too quickly. Not an issue if using a heat lamp, but I don't have access to AC power.

Dave

littleTapper
01-10-2019, 01:34 PM
I'm using one of the common 12v controller/thermostats off Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/outstanding-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Controlled/dp/B073W425LW/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1547148854&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=12v+thermostat+controller&dpPl=1&dpID=51hof2JZ7XL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

steve J
01-14-2019, 08:28 AM
I just ordered a shurflo pump yesterday but have still another question. on days where the sap has run well but evening temps are not going to go below freezing can you leave pump turned on? what if trees slow to a trickle over night will pump get damaged?

Biz
01-14-2019, 08:52 AM
Yup, I have let mine run for 2-3 days straight in above freezing temps with a trickle or more of sap flowing, no problems so far. They are rugged little pumps as long as diaphragm is wetted and you have an inline strainer. I typically see 150-200 hrs of run time per season.

Dave

n8hutch
01-14-2019, 02:02 PM
I actually have mine setup so it pulls vacuum on my 3/4 mainline with 100 taps, pulls 20" then it pushes the sap up to the sugarhouse about 8' of head if I had to guess, the pump has it's own internal pressure switch so when the line freezes up going to the sugarhouse the pump shuts off.

When the line thaws in the morning the pump turns on automatically. I've never had an issue using it this way. The pump works like this because they are designed for on demand use in a camper when you turn the faucet on the pump turns on. Pretty simple neat little pumps, I believe that the pressure can be adjusted so it comes on and off when you want, maybe you can make that work for you some how.

steve J
01-18-2019, 08:34 AM
Where are buying the 1/2' MPT to 5/16" barb fittings? I can only find 1/4 barb at Lowes and Home Depot does not even have the 1/4".

a.clarke
01-18-2019, 09:04 AM
I think you might mean a 3/16 Barb not a 5/16 and I got mine at bascoms. It is a 1/4 FPT to 3/16 Barb.

https://www.bascommaple.com/item/dgad316012/316_tubing_fittings/

Biz
01-18-2019, 09:31 AM
You might try US Plastics. The 5/16" or smaller barbs on a 1/2" fitting aren't very common, and I have found they are not very rugged either, so if you can't find what you need, try a 5/16" barb to 1/8" MNPT plus 1/8"-to-1/2" nylon reducer bushing.

Dave

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
01-18-2019, 10:30 AM
I bought these to go directly on to my ShurFlo. They are not easy to find, but I finally think I have my design the way I want it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSHLTLJ

Where are buying the 1/2' MPT to 5/16" barb fittings? I can only find 1/4 barb at Lowes and Home Depot does not even have the 1/4".

steve J
01-18-2019, 02:01 PM
Well I bought a 12" to 1/4" barb and I have a piece of 5/16 tubing here it looks like it will fit? any thoughts? Although my lines will be 3/16th my plan is to convert them to 5/16th just prior to getting to the pump that way I can install quick disconnects.

bmbmkr
01-18-2019, 09:55 PM
I bought these to go directly on to my ShurFlo. They are not easy to find, but I finally think I have my design the way I want it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSHLTLJ

I got these but in plastic/nylon- like $8 for 10 of em
If I can find the order I will post the product #- Amazon 3 or 4 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006OG9WJO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

steve J
01-19-2019, 09:09 AM
Well I received my shurflo 4008 pump. Now mind you my appitude fore electric and pumps and such is about zero. so I got caught a little off guard when it says in the manual that the plumbing should be a min. of 1/2". Although the initial fittings are 1/2" we clearly are necking it down to in my case 5/16" and than to 3/16". From what I can see I am doing what most everyone else here did so I am assuming this is a non issue?

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
01-19-2019, 03:40 PM
Thanks! I grabbed a package of them just to have some spares.

I got these but in plastic/nylon- like $8 for 10 of em
If I can find the order I will post the product #- Amazon 3 or 4 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006OG9WJO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RileySugarbush
01-19-2019, 04:48 PM
The 1/2” minimum is for full flow rate of 3 or 4 gallons a minute. , something we can only dream of! So no problem reducing it to 3/16, but the pumps work better if the inlet is 1/2” diameter or better for several inches before the reduction. I find it works best if I mount the pump so the inlet is on top.

HondoLane
01-21-2020, 11:33 PM
Quick question. I put my temp controller inside my sugar shack. Where should I put the temp probe? The pump is mounted on the shaded side so the probe if mounted outside would not really ever catch the sun until late in the day?

My sugar shack is not insulated.

whity
01-22-2020, 09:12 AM
We have our thermostat set to turn off at 30*. The pumps do freeze but the are housed in black totes, so the sun warms them up. They will thaw in time that the lines will just be starting to thaw as well.

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
01-22-2020, 09:54 AM
I also use the black totes and they warm right up, I drilled a hole in to them and stick the probe outside of the tote on to the shady side of it so the sun doesnt kick it on too early.

mol1jb
01-22-2020, 12:59 PM
Quick question. I put my temp controller inside my sugar shack. Where should I put the temp probe? The pump is mounted on the shaded side so the probe if mounted outside would not really ever catch the sun until late in the day?

My sugar shack is not insulated.

My setup is very similar to yours. Both of my shurflo pumps are installed inside my sap shack, with the temp probe installed outside on the north side of the building so it is not affected by direct sunlight. Temp controller set to come on at 32* and off at 30*.