PDA

View Full Version : Air injection

PARKER MAPLE
01-05-2019, 05:00 PM
Hello fellow traders.
We have a 3.5x 12 D&G champion rig. It has cross flow front pans and drop flue rear pans. When we bought it, it came with air injection set up. All though we have never set it up before we are now wondering what the benifits of it will be. The injections rails are for the flue pan and also for the syrup pan. We run the pans at apprx 2" deep.
Does anyone have any idea how this are set up?
At first look it's appears there is an air pump, then a charcoal filter.
Then it gets piped into the injection headers.
Our pump when we tested it today was extreamly loud as well is this normal?
One more question, should I be installing the air supply end in a warm area, such as the RO room so we are moving warm air into the pans?

Thank you

maple flats
01-05-2019, 05:18 PM
I have seem them but never up close. If memory serves me Russel Lampoon has one, try him.
The biggest reason for one is to get lighter syrup. It also reduces the times you need to clean the pan but does not eliminate it. There may be other reasons too.

PARKER MAPLE
01-06-2019, 05:34 AM
Does anyone have pictures of there air injection setup they could post?

Russell Lampron
01-06-2019, 05:37 AM
I was having trouble with the sap in the flue pan caramelizing before it went into the front pan at higher concentration levels. Because of this I was making dark syrup from the start of the season until the end. The cause of the caramelization is nitre burning in the bottom of the flues. The air injector blows straight down keeping the nitre from settling in the bottom of the flues and burning. The pump is loud because it is a high pressure blower like a vacuum cleaner. The air source can be cold. The shop vac that I use for my air injector is outside on my tank platform. My evaporation rate doesn't suffer because of it, in fact it is increased. I get steam almost as soon as I turn on the air injector which I do when I light the evaporator. I tried boiling without the air injector to try to make darker syrup and the evap rate slowed down so much that I turned it back on. I make mostly Amber syrup and also make a lot of Golden. Dark syrup is a thing of the past here. I concentrate to 14%, but sometimes up to 18% and 90% of my taps are red maples. Use the air injector, you'll like it!

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
01-06-2019, 08:43 AM
Russell, your air source is a shop vac?

Russell Lampron
01-06-2019, 05:31 PM
Russell, your air source is a shop vac?

Yes it is. I built my own air injector and bought a small shop vac for the air source. The only thing that shop vac is used for is the air injector.

DrTimPerkins
01-06-2019, 06:04 PM
Make sure your air source is in a clean area free of animal odors, exhaust, fumes, chemicals, etc.

upsmapleman
01-06-2019, 08:33 PM
Does anyone know if you can run a air injection on a rear pan with a steam away on it.

Moser's Maple
01-06-2019, 09:13 PM
I believe a steamaway already has air injected into the system

Russell Lampron
01-07-2019, 05:14 AM
Does anyone know if you can run a air injection on a rear pan with a steam away on it.

You should be able to do it. The tricky part will be plumbing the air to the manifold in the pan.

Moser's Maple
01-07-2019, 06:59 AM
Hello fellow traders.
We have a 3.5x 12 D&G champion rig. It has cross flow front pans and drop flue rear pans. When we bought it, it came with air injection set up. All though we have never set it up before we are now wondering what the benifits of it will be. The injections rails are for the flue pan and also for the syrup pan. We run the pans at apprx 2" deep.
Does anyone have any idea how this are set up?
At first look it's appears there is an air pump, then a charcoal filter.
Then it gets piped into the injection headers.
Our pump when we tested it today was extreamly loud as well is this normal?
One more question, should I be installing the air supply end in a warm area, such as the RO room so we are moving warm air into the pans?

Thank you

Parker we too have a d&g champion with air injection. I have pics how the previous owner had it set up, and how we are setting it up. I also have a video. So if you want to see it give me a call or text. My number is(315)*486-7933

upsmapleman
01-07-2019, 02:00 PM
As I was working in the woods today I had a thought about hooking up a air injectior with a sream a way. Wonder if you could tap into the steam a way air and just have a pipe between the two and run both from same blower. That way you would not need to come in from outside just down from a air pipe in steam a way.

PARKER MAPLE
01-07-2019, 03:14 PM
Parker we too have a d&g champion with air injection. I have pics how the previous owner had it set up, and how we are setting it up. I also have a video. So if you want to see it give me a call or text. My number is(315)*486-7933
Love to see it thank you

Mark
01-07-2019, 03:18 PM
You could run both if you have enough air.

Walling's Maple Syrup
01-08-2019, 11:40 AM
I have a d&g 4'x14'. I bought it new with air injectors for back pan. I do not have them for front pan. The flue pan is where they work good. I installed the blower upstairs so i didn't have to listen to them while boiling. Some pics of mine installed. Sorry for the upside down pics. Happens to me everytime. Neil 191381913919140

maple flats
01-08-2019, 12:53 PM
When you hook it up, be sure the blower is not pulling bad air, like exhaust or other undesirables.

johnallin
01-08-2019, 04:37 PM
I have a d&g 4'x14'. I bought it new with air injectors for back pan. I do not have them for front pan. The flue pan is where they work good. I installed the blower upstairs so i didn't have to listen to them while boiling. Some pics of mine installed. Sorry for the upside down pics. Happens to me everytime. Neil 191381913919140

Thanks for posting, that's a nice looking installation! I've been toying with the idea for a long time, finally pulled the trigger in November and have an air injection system due any day from H20 Innovations.

I ordered for both flue and syrup pans, the full system with their blower and filter system.

Will post pictures when I get it up and running.

Russell Lampron
01-08-2019, 06:21 PM
Here's the link to the air injector that I built for my evaporator. http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?20529-Bubblemaster-1.0!&highlight=bubblemaster

PARKER MAPLE
01-08-2019, 07:32 PM
Here's the link to the air injector that I built for my evaporator. http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?20529-Bubblemaster-1.0!&highlight=bubblemaster

Awesome pictures Russ
And thanks everyone for your input on this thread. We have everything here and will be installing ours soon
We made darker syrup more often then light last year, so I hope this turns it around. Our air pump is extreamly loud. Might seek out a quitter one at some point if we like what it does