PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Missouri Tapping Season

RiverSap
01-05-2019, 06:44 AM
II have been out in the sugar bush doing some early season preparation. Has anyone else gotten started?

RiverSap
01-07-2019, 12:22 PM
55 Deg F today. We need a cold spell. I am going to get my taps and down tubes and boil them this week. Tapping looks like it is still a few weeks off. While working around the sugar bush last weekend I accidentally nicked a few sugar maple tree roots and no sap was running.

unclejohn
01-08-2019, 10:09 AM
Brian, Its been much too warm to generate any good sap flow. Long range forecast for Missouri may offer some hope, though. I am cleaning buckets, taps, and assembling all supplies. In the last 5 years we tapped between Jan 16 and Jan 22. So we still have a while to wait. John

oldcabin
01-11-2019, 02:24 PM
I have not. The guy down the road from me a few miles has not either, and he has made syrup for a long time. I hope the snow we are getting here will help with production this year.

RiverSap, do you boil your taps and lines when you put them away or just rinse them?

unclejohn
01-11-2019, 03:34 PM
Hey Old Cabin, nice to hear from you. Maybe you can attach some photos of your syrup activites to your profile? Im trying to collect information about syrupmakers in Missouri, to swap equipment, labor, advice, who knows what. Maybe get together in the spring for a pancake feed or something. So far I have communicated with about 25 syrupmakers. Could you send me a private message with your phone number, and maybe info on how to contact the guy down the road from you. To send a private message to me, just left click on my name Unclejohn and go from there. That way only I can see the information you send.

Lots of snow coming down here in mid MO. Its gonna be muddy when I tap next week. But temps might look pretty good. All Missouri readers: please share with us your tapping status! Thanks. Unclejohn

Maple_Creek
01-14-2019, 07:52 AM
I plan to put out my taps as soon as the snow melts a little. Can't wait to see that sap starting to flow. Hope everyone has a great season.

unclejohn
01-15-2019, 08:49 AM
Well, based on yesterday mornings forecast, (1/15 and 1/17 temps looked good for flow) I dragged supplies and tools across a creek and half a mile through 14" of snow yesterday and tapped 80 trees and hung sacks. No flow in the morning but by mid afternoon, the new holes started to drip a little bit. But now the high temp forecasts have all been reduced and it looks like after 1/17 the temps may be too cold for the next 10 days or so. We need some sunlight and all we have now in mid Missouri is gloom. So rather than tap the remaining 120 trees, I can get the totes, buckets, evaporator, 4 wheeler, trailer etc ready. If sap freezes in the sacks, no problem, it will be preserved and I can harvest it when it melts. In the last 5 years, I have tapped between Jan 16 and Jan 20. So maybe I was a little too eager.

OmannMaple
01-15-2019, 01:17 PM
Hello. First time poster, season #5 making syrup. Also got a little antsy with the weather forecast and tapped some trees in anticipation. Seemed like there would be some good flow mid-week but doesn't now look so good. But the taps are in and ready for the flow when it happens.

kgingerich
01-15-2019, 08:18 PM
Small time hobbyist here as well... 70-ish taps. Tapped a few south facing trees yesterday and didn't get a drop today as the temps never made it very high and it was cloudy all day. It looks to me like it'll be another 10 days before we get any real flow so I'm going to wait to tap the rest. Don't want the holes to start clogging up before the season even begins!

I bypassed tapping a couple trees that still had visible tap holes from last year. I'm not sure if I'm right but I feel like the tree must be sickly if it can't heal up it's wound from last year. Does that logic make sense?
-Kyle

RiverSap
01-16-2019, 06:23 AM
The only thing I tapped this week were a couple of bottles of beer and they were sweet.

unclejohn
01-16-2019, 05:50 PM
Got some good news.... My Monday tapping paid off. Sap sacks were swollen with sap today and dripping at a rate of a drop every other second. I had some time to tap 20 more today, makes a total of about 120, heading for 200 eventually like last year. I don't have help, so I decided I better limit my time tapping more today, and spend time collecting. I collected about 60 gallons in totes, and had to leave about 15 more gallons on the trees because I didn't have enough totes available. When I quit collecting the trees were still dripping. This is unexpected... a gloomy day after a night that barely got below freezing, no sunshine, temps about 36 deg with snow cover. I will harvest again Friday before the big cold snap, and we will probably get our pans set up and boil this weekend. Trees will go to sleep for a while with the cold snap coming. Good luck to all!

RiverSap
01-18-2019, 09:39 PM
I set up my concrete block arch thia morning with a friend. I still need to make some finishing touches. I put out a main tubing line but have not tied in the laterals yet and have not tapped any lines along those lines. I did tap 4 trees with buckets and two of those trees were dripping quite well. Rain and snow tomorrow then turning cold tomorrow night. I hope to get the taps and laterals put in tomorrow along that line I put in. That will give me a total of 10 by tomorrow night. We will see with the rain. I need to take some pictures. I hope you collected enough sap on Friday John so that you can do that first boil over the weekend.

unclejohn
01-19-2019, 11:45 AM
Brian, we ended up with 160 gallons of sap. Will begin boiling tonight. I hope you collect enough to boil. John

RiverSap
01-19-2019, 09:10 PM
Excellent John. You cought the early flow. I missed it. I have one run in that has 9 trees all connected on tubing and running down and into a 35 gal container. In to late to catch the early flow. Looks like we could have 10 or so days of cold with little to no flow. I still have 30 trees to tap. I also have 12 walnut trees to tap. Going to try that again.

RiverSap
01-20-2019, 03:15 PM
DIY tubing tool. Works well. 19235

oldcabin
01-20-2019, 03:21 PM
I was able to get about 40 Taps and buckets out today. Hopefully will get another 40 out in the woods on Wednesday. Neighbor a few miles away already has his Taps and jugs out. It sounds like we're all off to a good season!

Maple_Creek
01-22-2019, 08:54 PM
Finally able to tap about a dozen trees today. Sap was really flowing. Hope to get enough to boil before the freeze.

RiverSap
01-23-2019, 12:26 PM
Like you Maple Creek I have 12 or so trees tapped. I have not collected enough to boil. I have 20 more to tap. No hurry.

Maple_Creek
01-23-2019, 07:03 PM
I bought all of my supplies to make my first concrete block arch for evaporating. At least I have something to do while everything is frozen. Will let you know how it goes and hopefully post some pictures of the finished product.

unclejohn
01-24-2019, 09:09 AM
We boiled the first sap batch down to 17 quarts of beautiful golden syrup with a buttery flavor. Now the trees are sleeping, and it looks like this arctic air mass will linger for at least 10 more days.

RiverSap
01-24-2019, 09:38 AM
Wonderful job John. Did you tap the rest of your trees?

RiverSap
01-24-2019, 09:40 AM
Maple Creek if you look in my gallery you can find a few pictures of block arches. They might help you out a bit.

unclejohn
01-26-2019, 08:33 PM
I tapped the remaining 60 or so trees today. Have a lot of sap in frozen bags, and need a couple moderate days to collect before the big freeze arrives. In the sunny afternoon at about 40 deg, the sap resumed flowing and some melt started in the bags. Our slopes are getting muddy so I may not be able to pull the trailer (that holds 24 totes) all the way up our hills, will have to haul sap out on the ATV, that only holds 5 totes. Will collect tomorrow and possibly again Monday with highs projected for mid 30's. Its a strange year, but we're getting enough sap to make it interesting. John

skinny78
01-29-2019, 09:48 PM
We are trying something new this year. Tapping trees on a friends place and giving 3/16 tubing a try. Currently, have 86 taps on 4 lines going to a 65-gallon tank. Collected 120 gallons of sap this weekend and cooked it down Monday night. Looking to get another 25 to 50 taps in yet this year. So far the tubing is working great and the weather looks promising!

unclejohn
01-30-2019, 08:13 AM
Nice going Matthew. I would like to come across the river and see the tubing sometime. We have a nice steep ridge with about 80 trees that would be great for tubing but we would need a big tractor to get in to a collection tank. And there are so many deer there I would be concerned about them busting the tubing. Our trees ran all night Sunday as the temps did not get below 35 deg. We are still an "all manual" operation with bags and buckets. I collected 180 gallons on Monday 1/28 (when the cold wind started to blow and trees stopped flowing) and we will finish the boil this morning. Speaking of wind, I guess that's another advantage of tubing; we had some buckets blow over and bags blow off the trees in that gale.

I saw your ad on Craigslist looking for sap, hope you find some takers. I've been talking to other MO producers and found a guy with over 500 trees in the Ozarks who burns diesel fuel in his arch. If you ever get tired of chopping wood maybe we can go down there; he invited me to come take a look. John

skinny78
01-30-2019, 09:40 AM
There are lots of deer in these woods also so this will be a test for this type of setup here. He feeds about 35 every evening. Sounds like you may have a good place for tubing also, I will let you know when I get it all up so you can come check it out. I just got a new Leader catalog and they are now selling oil fired half pint kits. The burner cost more than the evaporator though!

buckeye gold
01-30-2019, 11:23 AM
The deer won't cause you much trouble, they learn to duck under it. Now squirrels, those are the real devils of the sugar bush. I hate squirrels with a passion. I can't hardly get a week without them chewing a line. I use up an 800 foot roll of 3/16th tubing just fixing squirrel chews........ARGGGGGGG

Goggleeye
01-30-2019, 07:26 PM
The deer won't cause you much trouble, they learn to duck under it. Now squirrels, those are the real devils of the sugar bush. I hate squirrels with a passion. I can't hardly get a week without them chewing a line. I use up an 800 foot roll of 3/16th tubing just fixing squirrel chews........ARGGGGGGG

Heard that. Little suckers are biting my line this year rather than gnawing through and shredding it, making it hard to find the leaks. I've had years without a single chew (450+ taps). Not this year, though. Now I did have a deer stumble through mine the other day - must have been moving full throttle because it popped the lines off several taps and left a chunk of fur on one of the tees/ trees that it hit.

esetter
01-31-2019, 09:25 AM
Got 16 taps out down here Monday. Hoping for epic flow the next couple of days. Best of luck this season.

skinny78
01-31-2019, 10:33 PM
We got the 5th line in tonight with 21 taps on it, that brings us up to 107 taps going to one tank this year. Looking forward to a busy weekend!

RiverSap
02-01-2019, 07:19 PM
I have a question about tubing lines. I have a number of 5/16 tubing lines that daizy chain from tree to tree. At the trees midline I use T fittings. The perpendicular nipple is used for the tap. Is it important for the tap nipple to orientself itself straight up so that the sap from the tap drips down into the stream? I have not tried to orient them in any particular direction. I never seem to have very good flow on the tubing lines. Also how important is it to get the fittings fully inserted into the tubing. Up until half way through this yead did I have a tubing tool that could fully insert the fittings. All I could do using my hands was get the fitting inserted over the first ridge on the nipples.

skinny78
02-02-2019, 12:25 AM
RiverSap, I don't think you are doing anything wrong as long as your lines are not sagging. My tee's are generally standing up and I make sure that my drops do not sag. If your trees are on a hill you may consider changing over to 3/16 in the future, I am impressed with mine so far. The tubing only has to be on the fitting far enough so that it does not pull off.

maple flats
02-02-2019, 09:35 AM
Those worried about deer damage: I have had tubing for 16 seasons. I have had maybe 5-6 times deer caused any damage. Now if I could say th same thing about squirrels it would be great.
The last 3 seasons I have used a homemade spray to help with the squirrel damage. It starts with the hottest hot sauce you can find, then we mix the super hot sauce with water. Then I just spray the tubing where it is touching a tree or close enough for a squirrel climbing the tree can reach it. Each time I spray, I shake the bottle first to keep it mixed. Once on it seems to last about 2-3 weeks, unless you get rain. After each rain I re-apply. This has stopped almost all squirrel chews in season. Since I do not spray it between seasons I do get chews then, and have to make repairs just before each new season.
My brother in law mixed it, I'll get the info for those interested. It worked very well. Once the squirrel gets one lick they don't bother it again. I have to retreat because there are loads of squirrels that need educating.

RiverSap
02-03-2019, 09:28 AM
I have 15 walnut trees tapped. As of dusk last night none of those buckets had any sap. This morning they all have a good amount. Walnut trees maybe flow at night. I will make note of when I get additional flow. I will be collecting maple sap today. I went for a walk with rhe doggies this morning and all of the maple buckets I passed had various levels of sap. I need to rince out the65 gal storage containers. The next time you hear from me I will be a tired RiverSap.

ComoClyde
02-04-2019, 11:13 AM
I tapped eight of my nine trees (one is showing stress) Thursday. The temperature got down to -6 Wednesday, but up to 29 Thursday and 61 by Saturday. I had 10 gallons in the buckets Sunday morning. The warm weather has stopped the flow, but we are expecting freezing/thaw this Thursday. I boiled down my 10 gallons to a bit less than two quarts over my home-made evaporator. Poking sticks into to a fire for a day brings out the little-boy in me.
By the way, my records show the following first collections here in mid-Missouri:
2013 - Only noted January
2014 - January 12
2015 - January 27
2016 - January 24
2017 - January 30
2018 - January 26

unclejohn
02-04-2019, 04:15 PM
Well the thaw after the polar vortex really pumped the sap out in mid Missouri. I slogged through the muddy ridges on Saturday in the afternoon and well after dark to collect 108 gallons and hauled it over to the farmhouse to start the 3rd boil of 2019. When collecting, I noticed that the trees were still running, so on Sunday morning we collected 60 gallons. And noticed before the Super Bowl that the trees were still running, so today I collected 36 gallons and first ants of the season have found the buckets! They even cling to the end of the tubing that hangs from the spile to grab a drink. Also had a pileated woodpecker (or maybe the only ivory-billed woodpecker remaining in Missouri?) land on a nearby tree while I was collecting. We looked at each other for a while before he whooshed off to tap another tree. Its nice for this city guy to have quiet time in the woods and take a break from lifting big jugs of mostly water. I never fell once during collecting, but there is a layer of thawed mud below the leaf litter that is particularly dangerous when walking downhill. I will remember the aches of collecting later this year as I enjoy some of this liquid gold. Will finish the boil and move to the kitchen tonight or tomorrow morning to filter and bottle. Also, a family member started tapping his boxelder trees along the creek and has been boiling that down. They were really weeping well during the thaw. It looks colorless so far but has a sweet taste. I will start a discussion thread elsewhere on mapletrader about boxelder syrup to see if there are any experts about that.

esetter
02-04-2019, 08:02 PM
Ran like crazy down here the last couple of days, With temps in the mid 60's and even low 70's this week , it seems to have came to a halt. Hopefully it aint over , but , I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them bud early and shorten our season. Gonna do my first boil tomorrow. 39 gallons. Down a little from last year but maybe we will get a late run.

Goggleeye
02-06-2019, 09:29 PM
I don't think the trees will bud early, especially the sugars. Temps are supposed to dive end of this week - should trigger a good "reset" to the sap pump.

Goggleeye
02-06-2019, 09:35 PM

A couple of my kiddos enjoying maple season.

RiverSap
02-07-2019, 05:29 AM
Looks like you have your own DIY vacuum pumps there.

unclejohn
02-08-2019, 07:12 AM
The trees ran like crazy over the last few days before this most recent arctic blast. Harvested 120 gallons yesterday but had to leave a bunch of ice in the buckets and bags. Looks like some good days coming up again once we thaw out. Hey River, tell us about your walnut syrup!

unclejohn
02-13-2019, 11:33 AM
That batch made 2.75 gallons. Trees ran well yesterday. With today and tomorrow above 50 degrees, our final collection should be a big one and the ice in bags and buckets will serve to concentrate sugar in the rest of the sap. We will probably pull our spiles out after this collection; 20 gallons of syrup is enough, and we're getting low on firewood and tired of the mud. good luck to Missouri sapsuckers- I think there will be a few more opportunities for good flow. Also, the boxelder syrup tastes nice, but it was about a 60:1 boildown ratio. John

Jjuhl54
02-13-2019, 07:16 PM
Checked ours trees today out of 12 taps we collected 30 gallons of sap

unclejohn
02-14-2019, 09:40 PM
nice going jjuhl. you will find that like our family, the interest in making syrup keeps growing and you will need to find more trees and collect more sap each year. Because the stuff tastes soooo good! Today it was 60 deg in mid MO after a night below freezing. So the conditions were right for good sap flow, and also making lots of mud in the woods. The trees had absolutely amazing flow. We gathered 300 gallons from our 200 trees in the last 2 days and ran out of totes, so some of that sap is going to freeze on the trees and hang there til a thaw. We started a boil today, and will likely continue adding sap for the next 2 or 3 days while it boils down. Good luck with your trees! john

Jjuhl54
02-15-2019, 04:47 PM
hey unclejohn starting out small operation 12 taps with 4 gal. bags, from feb. 13 2019 thru feb. 14 2019 we have collected 40 gallons,try to get it boiled down to make room for more. We have 3 lp cookers going to boil sap and we keep the sap in walkin cooler, would like to post some pics have not figured that out yet.

Goggleeye
02-18-2019, 11:46 PM
Got a feelin' the big sap's a comin. How do I know, you ask. By the size of my firewood pile. You'd think after 10 years of doing this I would have sense enough to have enough wood cut ahead of time to last the entire season. But no. Splitting most of the day today. Also accidentally locked the wife in the sugar shack and drove off to church back in January. I'm really beginning to question my mental well-being. Man, have I got to get an RO for next year. Going to need it if I add more taps. Must add more taps. And mainline.

BAP
02-19-2019, 06:29 AM
Got a feelin' the big sap's a comin. How do I know, you ask. By the size of my firewood pile. You'd think after 10 years of doing this I would have sense enough to have enough wood cut ahead of time to last the entire season. But no. Splitting most of the day today. Also accidentally locked the wife in the sugar shack and drove off to church back in January. I'm really beginning to question my mental well-being. Man, have I got to get an RO for next year. Going to need it if I add more taps. Must add more taps. And mainline.
Was it an accident you locked her in or was it on purpose so you could get to church to confess your sins of spending more money on sugaring equipment that you didn’t want her to know about? LOL.

esetter
02-19-2019, 07:46 AM
I believe its all over but the crying down here. Warm temps and a 3 day trip out of town for work has likely ended my season. Hope you guys get a big flow at the end!

unclejohn
02-19-2019, 10:09 AM
Our last batch yielded 8.25 gallons of beautiful dark flavorful syrup. We have pulled out our taps as we have made enough syrup for the year. I think there will still be a few more good flow days, but the ants will get it. Here's our season by the numbers:

#of trees tapped: 210 (150 sapsacks, 60 buckets)
Total syrup production: 25.8 gallons
sap collected: 996 gallons
# of boils: 5
Firewood used: about 2 cords
# of times I fell in the mud in the woods: 2
injuries from falling in the woods: 0
injuries from cutting/splitting firewood: 1 (smashed little finger)
#of buckets turned over by raccoons: 0 (that's a big improvement from last year, now that we've increased use of sapsaks)
#of times trailer stuck in the mud: 1 (very muddy conditions, pulled it out next morning when ground was frozen)
#of broken bottles or big syrup spills: 0
spiles I may have left in our trees: 5 ?? I will have to take a walking tour in a few weeks to get them collected
Friends I will make giving them some syrup: many

Its been a great year. Now gotta get some veggie seeds started. I will keep reading the posts to see how other MO producers are doing. John

Goggleeye
02-19-2019, 10:18 PM
Was it an accident you locked her in or was it on purpose so you could get to church to confess your sins of spending more money on sugaring equipment that you didn’t want her to know about? LOL.
:lol::lol:I think some of my sandwich ended up on the counter when I read your comment. Actually, she's pretty supportive of my maple addiction. Only thing she was mad about was not having enough wood until I got back. So she devised a way to climb out - set a chair out the window and one inside the shack. Only problem was the window edge was rather sharp and her legs were about 3 inches to short.

Goggleeye
02-19-2019, 10:23 PM
We have pulled out our taps as we have made enough syrup for the year. I think there will still be a few more good flow days, but the ants will get it.
That's a crime, John. Been flowing like mad the last couple days down here in the SE part of the state. Just got in from 4 hours of collecting in a steady rain, and everything was flowing good as I was pumping out the barrels. Can't wait to see what the next few days give. Just wish I had a lot more wood split.

coryfavre
02-21-2019, 11:57 AM
Hi all! I'm in the northeast corner of the state. The property I moved onto last fall has 10 silver maples. I was wondering if it is too late to tap them and get my feet wet in the experience. All 10 have buds on, but they have had since the last week of January. None of the buds are open.

skinny78
02-21-2019, 06:49 PM
Go for it! This weekend is going to be great and I expect the season to run for a couple more weeks. There is still time to get bit by the maple bug!

coryfavre
02-22-2019, 07:35 AM
Go for it! This weekend is going to be great and I expect the season to run for a couple more weeks. There is still time to get bit by the maple bug!

Tapped 5 of the trees, we'll see how it goes :)

RiverSap
02-28-2019, 09:08 AM
I boiled down 120 gallons of sap and bottled last weekend. I ended up with 31 8 ounce bottles. Somewhere I lost a gallon of surup. I call that the angels share. I collected 130 gallons early this week. I will start boilong that today after work. I left all of rhe buckets in rhe sugar bush. Themeratures were perfect this week for flow. I will collect the he buckets as I am cooking. I hope to have another 50 gallons or so. I live just north of St Louis. I am thinking the season here is a week later than you Sourhern Missouri guys. My trees did not flow much in January.

RiverSap
02-28-2019, 09:16 AM
I ended up collecting about 50 gallons of walnut sap. I think the walnut needs a little warmer temperatures for flow during the days than maple trees. Also I had a lot of sap running down the bark of rhe walnut where the taps were. Walnut bark is much thicker than maple bark. Next year I am going to get longer taps. I used stainless steel taps this year and they generally worked great for the maple trees. I found some longer stainless steel taps and ordered and received rhem. I will be using the longer ones for the walnut trees next year. The 50 gallons of sap cooked down to maybe a half gallon of syrup. It is stinn in a pot on the stove. I will bottle it in a few days. It tastes really good. Will be even better once it is filtered.

RiverSap
03-01-2019, 06:53 PM
Coryfavre welcome. I am cooking my last batch of sap this weekend. Let us know how your whole process progresses.

Goggleeye
03-01-2019, 11:05 PM
I boiled down 120 gallons of sap and bottled last weekend. I ended up with 31 8 ounce bottles. Somewhere I lost a gallon of surup. I call that the angels share. I collected 130 gallons early this week. I will start boilong that today after work. I left all of rhe buckets in rhe sugar bush. Themeratures were perfect this week for flow. I will collect the he buckets as I am cooking. I hope to have another 50 gallons or so. I live just north of St Louis. I am thinking the season here is a week later than you Sourhern Missouri guys. My trees did not flow much in January.

We didn't get a lot in January, either. February was great, and I can't give it up yet. This latest cold blast has me hoping to finish the year swimming in sap. Trees were still producing well last week, and given that it never got all that warm, I'm hoping they are still willing to give a lot more. We are up to 160 gallons or so on 500 taps, so it's about average so far for us. I'm hoping that we can make another 40 or so and at least hit that 200 gallon mark this season. The sap seems to be running a little thin this year - has me wondering if all the extra rainfall dilutes the sap.

Goggleeye
03-01-2019, 11:08 PM
I ended up collecting about 50 gallons of walnut sap. I think the walnut needs a little warmer temperatures for flow during the days than maple trees. Also I had a lot of sap running down the bark of rhe walnut where the taps were. Walnut bark is much thicker than maple bark. Next year I am going to get longer taps. I used stainless steel taps this year and they generally worked great for the maple trees. I found some longer stainless steel taps and ordered and received rhem. I will be using the longer ones for the walnut trees next year. The 50 gallons of sap cooked down to maybe a half gallon of syrup. It is stinn in a pot on the stove. I will bottle it in a few days. It tastes really good. Will be even better once it is filtered.

I heard that younger walnuts will give a bit more sap, and I would imagine their bark to be a bit thinner. Hopefully I'll have time to tap a few walnuts in the future if we go to an RO. Anybody out there ever done a batch of pure box elder syrup?

RiverSap
03-08-2019, 01:30 PM
I was down in the woods rhis morning and the taps were still dripping. I tasted what was coming out and it was sweet still. I did not collect any this week. Just still have not pulled all of the taps. Dripping on the ground. I have bouled enough for this year.

RiverSap
03-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Bottling today. Walnut first. Will post a few pics when I am done.

RiverSap
03-09-2019, 08:05 AM
goggleeye I was doing some research on RO for maple syrup. It looks like you can obtain a Brix of around 20 with a fairly simple setup. That means say you start with 1000 gallons of pure sap at 3 Brix which is typical of what comes out of the tree. If you run it through a RO unit and you only get 6 Brix you end up with 500 gallons to boil in stead of the 1000 gallons and you get the same qmount of syrup. If you run the RO farther and get to 12 Brix which is easily obtainable you end up with250 gallons to boil instead of that 1000 gallons. If you run it to say 20 Brix that would be less than 200 gallons to boil. It looks like you can get units that can process 500 gallons a day for around $500. If you daizy chain a number of modules together it looks like you can get to that 20 Brix fairly easily. Like anything once you get into it the final cost might move up. Any way that is my two cents.

unclejohn
03-09-2019, 08:40 AM
Hey River, please post a photo of the walnut syrup when you can. Regarding RO, we have been considering it with 200 taps, just to reduce firewood consumption. There is the cost of the RO unit, but then you need to buy tanks, a pump, and more fittings/hoses, etc. And it may require more regular monitoring to make sure pressure across the membrane is OK, that there are no leaks that could damage the RO system, etc. We are busy, so we like to stoke the fire, fill the pans and go off and do other stuff. Having an RO might require more attention than we are ready to give. For our syrup, I just don't think it is compatible with our schedule. There is lots of firewood available and it can be cut when we want to.

skinny78
03-12-2019, 09:07 AM
I have been using my RO from MES and it is doing great. Sure saves a lot of work! My manual suggest to not go over 8% to reduce membrane fouling. You can recirculate on the same tank and bring it up altogether, no need to have multiple units in my opinion. I do a single pass and it just keeps up with the evaporator, taking roughly 2% sap this year to 4%.

brochtrupjd
03-13-2019, 08:11 AM
One thing my instruction book did not mention is how to clean the RO for the end of the season. I have a 25 400 membrane I believe.1967319673

skinny78
03-13-2019, 09:11 AM
I do a soap wash at the end of the season and that is it. Who built your unit?

Goggleeye
03-14-2019, 10:15 PM
Finished bottling the last of the syrup tonight. Total for the year was 188 gallons on about 500 taps. I'll count 'em when I pull 'em. The last canning batch gave a fruity flavor - something I have never experienced before. Not what I would call desirable, but not bad, either. Overall, it was a very good season, the sap came in very handleable amounts, so we were able to get it all processed while it was still fresh. Now for the woods clean-up so I'm ready for turkey season!

OmannMaple
03-18-2019, 12:10 PM
Last of syrup bottled this weekend. 5.5 gal of syrup from 240 gal sap. Can't say I like cold weather but the late cold spell did freeze sap in storage buckets and concentrated the sap to close to 3%. Sure helped on the boil time. A most sucessful season.

unclejohn
03-18-2019, 09:01 PM
Hey omann... Can u post some photos of your trees and evaporator? I grew up in w.g. South of the univ by i-44. Now live in columbia. Where are your trees? John

buckeye gold
03-19-2019, 06:16 AM
Now for the woods clean-up so I'm ready for turkey season!

Now there's a man with his priorities in line. I'm in Ohio instead of Missouri, but I'm all in on turkey season and Saugeye/Walleye fishing for the spring with some mushroom hunting thrown in. I usually hunt 2-3 states, but I've never hunted Missouri.

Here's a chuckle.....I shot one of my 3/16th laterals last spring shooting a gobbler

Goggleeye
03-20-2019, 09:54 PM
Now there's a man with his priorities in line. I'm in Ohio instead of Missouri, but I'm all in on turkey season and Saugeye/Walleye fishing for the spring with some mushroom hunting thrown in. I usually hunt 2-3 states, but I've never hunted Missouri.

Here's a chuckle.....I shot one of my 3/16th laterals last spring shooting a gobbler

That's funny! :lol: I sure don't fish like I used to, but I usually get in a fair amount of mushroom hunting, too, as that conincides perfectly with scouting for youth season. I've got 4 kids that are itching to chase the thunderchickens this year. I also try to hunt at least one other state, but it's hard to get time off as a teacher before seasons end. I will say that our turkey hunting is great here, but my shots are usually into the fields, so I shouldn't have to worry about damaging the maple lines!

OmannMaple
03-21-2019, 10:35 AM
Hello Unclejohn, I am just south of 44 at Elm. Although I live in Webster, my trees and evaporater are in the New Melle area. Went to a 4 pan setup this year to increase my evap rate, simple arch but got to around 8-9 gal/hr after the fire gets really hot. Trying to get some pics to post but have a problem getting anything to work. I'll have to keep playing around with this and eventually something will stick.

unclejohn
03-21-2019, 09:31 PM
Hi Omann I can see the foto of your evaporator, kinda looks like mine. except I use a metal flue instead of square blocks. The old barn in the background is rather attractive in the photo, too. I will private message you on Maple Trader. Im trying to build a network of Missouri syrup producers and would like to get your email or phone number. Maybe there will be a meeting of syrup producers this spring or summer. Thanks. Uncle John