PDA

View Full Version : 70 tap install question

bawplank
01-04-2019, 09:14 PM
I have a real wide fence row with enough trees for 70 taps. It has fall the whole way. I am putting a shurflo on it. I have already ran high tensile down the middle and now I'm not sure what to use for tube. Should I use 5/16 for everything? Main, short laterals and drops. Thanks for any suggestions, will

maple flats
01-05-2019, 05:18 AM
How much is the drop? If at least 20' and even better 30' just run 3 laterals of 3/16 all the way and forget the high tensile. If the slope is not that much, use 5/16 laterals and strive for 5-7 taps on each and run them into a 3/4" mainline supported by the HT wire.
If the 3/16 was used, run each the whole distance and run each at the bottom into a manifold with the shurflo on that. An extra 3/16 from either the tank back to the inlet manifold or even just from the shurflo outlet back to the manifold will help you get better vacuum, if the pump to the tank distance is not real far, that is best. On a diaphragm pump you get much better vacuum if you keep the diaphragm wet. They do poorly when dry.

bawplank
01-05-2019, 07:29 AM
So I need to use a 3/4 mainline for 70 taps on vacuum? 5/16 for main would be too small?

mol1jb
01-05-2019, 08:10 AM
Yes 5/16 main would be to small. 1/2 in main would be smallest you could go but 3/4 would be best.

Russell Lampron
01-05-2019, 05:01 PM
So I need to use a 3/4 mainline for 70 taps on vacuum? 5/16 for main would be too small?

Yes you'll get the best vacuum transfer with a 3/4" mainline and 5/16" laterals. You should try for 5 taps or less per lateral and no more than 10.

maple flats
01-05-2019, 05:14 PM
But surprisingly, if there is good slope, you could just use 3 lines of 3/16, each going the entire length and then tie them into a manifold and a diaphragm pump at the bottom and have no mainline. For that you need the slope, then at the bottom the diaphragm pump will boost productivity.
Otherwise you want the 3/4" mainline and 5/16 laterals with about 5 taps per, and never more than 10 taps on a lateral.

bawplank
01-05-2019, 05:57 PM
Thanks all, I did 2 3/16 lines on it last year and it did ok. But couldn't tap the trees on either end. I'm going with a 3/4 Mainline set up. What us the best way to get the laterals into the mainline. If saddles are the best can I get by without a mainline drill and just use a regular cordless.

maplemas
01-05-2019, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE=. If saddles are the best can I get by without a mainline drill and just use a regular cordless.[/QUOTE]
Just a cordless works good I put a piece of tubing on the bit for a stopper .

Russell Lampron
01-06-2019, 05:24 AM
Thanks all, I did 2 3/16 lines on it last year and it did ok. But couldn't tap the trees on either end. I'm going with a 3/4 Mainline set up. What us the best way to get the laterals into the mainline. If saddles are the best can I get by without a mainline drill and just use a regular cordless.

You will need some kind of drill stop because it's amazing how fast the bit will go through the other side of the mainline. You can use a piece of tubing to make a stop on a drill bit or do what I did. I bored a 1" hole in a piece of a 2 x 4 and then sawed the 2 x 4 in half. I then drilled a 5/16" hole in the radius of the 2 x 4 and used that as a drill stop. I'd hold the piece of 2 x 4 over the top of the mainline and drill down through the 5/16" hole. That let me use my drill for tapping too without switching drill bits in the woods. There are times during the season when I add a lateral to a mainline and will be putting in taps and drilling the mainline at the same time. I have a mainline drill now but the 2 x 4 worked good.

maple flats
01-06-2019, 07:56 AM
By far I prefer the DSD stubby mainline drill. It is short enough that it does not reach the far side of the mainline on a 3/4" or larger, I don't know about a 1/2" I never tried half, it also is a plastics bit, so the point is designed for that and does not dance around before making the hole. Prior to getting a DSD stubby bit I used a tapping bit and made a stopper out of a piece of wood so the bit would not reach thru the mainline.