PDA

View Full Version : What's with this weather?

MJo
01-03-2019, 11:33 AM
We have been tapping since 2009. We're located in the far NE corner of Iowa. Last year was the first year we started tapping in the first week of February. The forcast for the next ten eight days is ideal - upper 30's to mid 40's day and 20's at night. We aren't going to tap but any idea how this is going to impact the season?

lindnova
01-03-2019, 02:02 PM
I was just searching for the same question. I am in SE Minnesota.

With little frost I am thinking it likely will run this next week. I am holding off too though; not ready for it yet.

I still have a lot of syrup from last year so if I do tap this year I will try to find the best week to hit and be done.

Chickenman
01-03-2019, 02:12 PM
My neck of the Country, New York State, mid Feb is when everyone taps. I have had 24 taps out since just before Christmas. Sugars and silvers have been running great. Red not yet. I do not have all my trees tapped, just the ones here at the house. Yesterday, 1/2/2019 I boiled off the sweet from my 2x3 and bottled 3 quarts of syrup. I may not wait until "traditional" tap time as the weather says NOW. Time will tell what happens with the early taps but you can't learn if you don't try.

canaanmaple
01-05-2019, 09:41 AM
Make hay when the sun shines!